PDA

View Full Version : found a new ebay scam...be careful

Verlon
05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Shopping around ebay for a car, I find this one listed that is of interest. I click on the link to view the item (from ebay's site) and the item link REDIRECTS me off of ebay to a phony site (which looks like a real ebay page). Fortunately I figured out what was going on before I sent anything, but its just something else fun to watch out for.

If you were quick enough, you'd see the original ebay link before it reloaded the spoof page. And yes, its already been reported and so on and so forth, but I bet these clowns try again.

Goldfinger
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the warning verlon.....I'm looking for a car at the moment...maybe i'll stay away from ebay!

Matt
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't trust eBay one bit, would never buy anything from there.

hrgiger
05-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I've been on Ebay for several years now and haven't had much of a problem except when I was a complete noob to it. Almost bought my first copy of Lightwave from someone else before I realized they were scamming me. Fortunately I realized what was going on and got PayPal to freeze the guys funds while it was sorted out. I got my money back but it was a lesson well learned.
I still ended up getting my Lightwave 6 for a bargain at $1500 on Ebay(that was when Lightwave retailed for $2495). This time it was legit though.

But most of the time Ebay is pretty safe. You just have to know what to watch out for sometimes.

T-Light
05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
If you're looking for a car in the UK try autotrader.co.uk. Free membership to get the advanced searches and it's well worth a look :thumbsup: . If your in the US, autotrader.com isn't such a great place, allways seems to be commercial ads for garages when I've looked :(

Verlon
05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I am in the mostly good ebay experience. Generally speaking, a little good sense = a LOT of fraud protection. This was just something I hadn't seen before, and was sneakier than most scams I'd seen. They even sent a nice official looking (spoofed) follow up email - probably trying to get my ebay login info as well as the money.

toby
05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I got LW6 off of ebay too - sort of. Somebody was selling several copies but I kept getting bid-sniped at the last second - so I emailed the seller and asked him to sell me a copy outside of ebay! No guarantees! :foreheads I was hard up for some pro software after using Ray Dream Studio. I had never even heard of LW before that, but I saw it used in national commercials, and on the Mac, so that was enough for me. Best (biggest, and stupidest) gamble I ever made.

Andyjaggy
05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
There a few thing I would never trust to buy off ebay. One would be software, and two would be a car :)

Verlon
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
You know, I hear that a lot from people--mostly salespeople who don't want to admit that ebay IS competition for them. "You don't know who you're dealing with blah blah blah."

I tell them all the same thing. "That merchant on ebay has hundreds or even thousands of references maintained by an independent third party. They do not get to hand pick the good ones for me to read. Do you have 20,000 references I can sort through before I make this purchase (and maintained by a third party so I know the negative ones aren't filtered out)? Because, quite frankly, I don't really know you either."

Then they either get competitive (I will pay a little extra for a local purchase) or quit trying to sell me something they know they aren't willing to match a price on.

Saving a $1000 here or there isn't something I can afford to ignore.

Andyjaggy
05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
That's true. always try to buy thing locally to support the economy but when something local is 20% more and that equates to hundreds of dollars I simply can't do it. I have a handful of trusted retailers I shop from online and usually stick with those. Although you know I have never been scammed from buying something online so take it for what its worth.

Exception
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I've had some good ebay experiences, and a few attempted scams. One was really elaborate on a laptop. Laptops seems to be the most scams, the ones from moldavua and god knows where. This one was around the corner, and the deal was all settled and then his mom died, and he had to go and blahblah, and we believed it. But I refused to send money just like that and pressed for escrow. If they object to escrow: its a fraud. Done deal.

I'll also never buy kittens on ebay. I hear they're a mean scruffy lot. A bad influence in the neighborhood and all.

TripD
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I only had one iffy experience through ebay. I bought Photoshop 6.0 for a really good price. Turned out its was an OEM version. It took a few days but Adobe acknowledged that it was okay for the transfer and that I could update it. My trigger finger was twitching for a cancellation of funds transfer for a while though. Every other experience has been good. :thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
TripD love the avatar ;)

I've had only good experience with kittens on Ebay. Be sure to insure the package as they are sometimes damaged in transit. More then once I have opened up my package to find a big nothing but a big furball

TripD
05-10-2007, 12:12 AM
TripD love the avatar ;)

Heh thanks. I was just tired of being the only kittenless kid on the block. Kitten envy is no laughing matter!

Verlon
05-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Heh thanks. I was just tired of being the only kittenless kid on the block. Kitten envy is no laughing matter!

Loki already feel that the purrrrpose of monitor glow is to purrrvide a backlight for his lovely tail.

So I see enough of him on my computer without adding him as an avatar. :D

redlum
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I've only had one bad experience with ebay. I bought a copy of Logic Express 7 for a very low price only to find out a year later that it was a pirated copy. When I tried to upgrade to the UB version 7.2 Apple told me the number I was using was from a Japanese hacker site. I sent them the DVD to verify this and they were very kind about the whole thing. I was embarrassed and a little pissed that I got ripped off like that. I took it off my computer and will wait for version 8 to come out before buying it again. This time it will be from a local place so if it turns out to be bad I can kick their ***. ;-)

That said, I also get a new copy of Shake and Final Cut Express both unopened, both legit, and both at a very low price. So I guess you really have to be careful no matter what.

therockchurches
05-25-2007, 09:01 AM
ebay has been good to me. I buy everything from there
All of my cameras, tripods, decks- everything. I never buy software though or computers.
I nearly got scamed when my dad was buying a bike :thumbsdow :