PDA

View Full Version : PS Extended Question

ftown
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Has anyone managed to successfully export a .obj from LW9.2
and have the texture(s) show up in the PS layers panel. I've tried
all sorts of combinations and can't get it to work. I thought creating
a UV texture map would show up in PS but I'm doing something wrong.
Or is that what Rendition will be used for?
thanks.

IMI
05-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Lightwave doesn't make a .mtl file with the .obj file, and since .obj files don't store material information (aside from named material groups and UV maps), there's no reference to textures.
Your best bet is to save as .lwo, into the same folder as the texture maps, and then use a 3d converter like Deep Exploration to save as .obj.
For a program to load textures with a .obj file, it needs to have an accompanying .mtl file to be read by the program doing the importing.

Ztreem
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Dodgy has a .mtl import/export plugin, maybe that could help. http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/

ftown
05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I tried using dodgy's mtl exporter and was able to export with success, but then photoshop wouldn't see the file, just the .obj file. So I assume that somehow the two files need to be merged for PS to read correctly, and I guess thats what Deep Exploration does(?) What was confusing is when I looked at the 3d files that come with PS, they are .obj files with .mtl files attached and I just assumed thats how .obj files are exported. So thanks IMI and Ztreem for the info/help. BTW, Ztreem I liked that spinning top on the LW9.2 reel, did you use a plugin for the motion, how did you do it?

Ztreem
05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
BTW, Ztreem I liked that spinning top on the LW9.2 reel, did you use a plugin for the motion, how did you do it?

Thanks! It's all done with native LW 9.2, the motion is made with HardFX only.:)

IMI
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Ztreem for the info. I had never heard of that plugin before.
Deep Exploration doesn't "merge" them, it just creates a .mtl file that the .obj file references when being loaded.
I'm not at all familiar with CS3 (I assume that's what you mean?), but maybe the obj importer isn't reading the obj and mtl files correctly.
One thing about MTL files is, they're text files, in plain English, and you can open them in Notepad or any other text editor and read for yourself what's being put in there.
If you see something like "texture_001.jpg" and no path to it, assigned to a material group, chances are that's why, but if the textures are in the same folder as the OBJ file, there shouldn't be a problem.

Silkrooster
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
This might be something we need to ask Dodgy, but I would believe that Dodgy's exporter would have to rewrite the obj file to reference the new mtl file that Dodgy's mtl exporter creates.
Edit: You may want to try http://www.uvmapper.com/ I haven't use the free version in a long time but it use to rewrite the obj file. Maybe it can help. Not sure if the free version is still available, but they now have a commercial version.
Silk

Roly
05-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I believe when you're going to export an OBJ in Lightwave it allows just one
UV map on the object and has to be in use, same for importing an OBJ. It
names the UV "OBJ_UVTextureMap" and you'll have to assign it to a surface.
No MTLs files. I don't know if PS extended supports that feature (mtl files)
or just UVs, remember every company has its own version of the importer\
exporter. Blender has a few 3d file formats included, lwo is supported and a
good implementation of the obj, besides is free. We need at least a popup
window in Lightwave that ask us what we want to save with the obj file.

IMI
05-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Modeler does in fact export an object in .obj format with only one UV map, even if multiple UV maps were used (and it does name it "OBJ_UVTextureMap"), but that's a limitation of the OBJ format in general, as designed originally by Wavefront. If you're going to use OBJ as an export format from Modeler, it's very important to remember that you have it UV'd in such a way that no materials have different, overlapping maps, or any textures applied will be screwed.
However, as far as I know, you can have an unlimited number of material groups. stored in the OBJ file, as well as point and polygon groups/selection sets, for that matter.
BTW, the .OBJ format also is a text file which can be read with any text editor.