PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 material presets pretty please!

cresshead
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
9.2 material presets pretty please!

can some of the beta testers who really got on with the nodel editor please make some presets and store them in a basic scene with some sample boxes...there's a bunch of folks over on cgtalk having a terible time getting their heads round it currently...me included!:)

we're looking for samples of conductor, sigma, delta diaelectic etc

tar very much and top of the mornin to ya!:D ...and wouldn't it be fab if newtek posted them up on the 9 page
as a download..including for the demo version of lw too....give people a head start with all the cool n groovy things we saw in the recent 9.2 video.

steve g

prospector
05-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Some things are best kept secret :D :D

Yamba
05-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Some things are best kept secret :D :D
Snigger, snigger nice one.

Have you had a look over at http://www.lededesigns.com/ you may find something that to assist and knowing your work I'm sure you'll have something to contribute to the site later on.

Yamba

cresshead
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
yeah great idea, shrink the userbase of lightwave...frustrate people who are sold the hype of easy to use materials...then they go off n buy xsi.

jameswillmott
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Materials are very geometry dependant, presets are only good for the models they were designed for. Apart from Dielectric which needs a switch to refract properly, the other Materials seem fairly straight forward to use, just plug them into the Material input. You don't need any other nodes and they have less options than the standard LightWave surface. What were you hoping material presets would show?

cresshead
05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
i'm just mirroring what people are saying over on cgtalk
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4377645#post4377645

sure they they are geometry dependant then make all the presets with a sample teapot model they can all 'depend' on that geometry for the preset...in the beta i said where's the presets?...none....where's the detailed instructions and tutorials on using them?....none....

what exactly is the point of new features with no help you get them to go for people..you [newtek] point to a really nice 9.2 video showing all these things off then you leave them hi n dry to work it out for themselves...

gee get a grip newtek and 'promote' your product properly...get some of the beta testers together to make a preset lib.

Yamba
05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry cresshead i don't understand if your last post was directed to my suggestion, I don't follow your point.

If you misinterpreted my post then may I suggest, like I did, you go to http://www.lededesigns.com/component/option,com_nodes/task,showcat/Itemid,4/category_id,C2/ open the preset depository, select nodal and download the presets of interest and load them on your model and finally analyze the set-ups.

Another useful resource for learning nodes for me has been the tutorials at http://www.shaders.co.uk/ifw2_nodal/tutorials.htm , hopefully they may offer some assistance.

I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, I'm only trying to assist as I do agree with that there isn't a great deal of clear direction on node setups and training resources around at this stage.

Good Luck
Yamba

cresshead
05-09-2007, 08:32 AM
what ''price'' are your presets?....you have an add cart feature but no pricing?

cagey5
05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I believe that's just the way to download them. They are actually free.

Yamba
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
That's right they're FREE!!!!!!!!!:D

Yamba

cresshead
05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
maybe add some text that ''says they're free''...i was going to link to them for the cgtalk thread but didn't as i couldn't find a ''price''...

i'll post a link and small explanation over there...

cheers chap!

cagey5
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
what ''price'' are your presets?....you have an add cart feature but no pricing?

maybe add some text that ''says they're free''...i was going to link to them for the cgtalk thread but didn't as i couldn't find a ''price''...!

From the wording it sounds like you assume this is Yamba's site whereas you need to have a word in Lede's ear.

cresshead
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
ahh..yeah...thought i was conversing with the website owner!
not too worry...i've added an explanation over on cgtalk lw thread

lede
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry cress I didn't pop in here sooner. Yes the presets are free sorry for the confusion. We'll add something to the site stating that clearly so people don't think there is a price attached.

This was something we put together to help share all the wonderful new things. I apologies if there has been a misrepresentation of the presets. Our intention was to provide our users with a single download of the presets they wanted. We have been taking suggestions on how to stream line everything but some how this lack of information has not come up to us until now.

If there are other problems with the site please let us know so we can add it to the growing list of fixes needed.

-Lee

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 04:40 PM
It would be super cool if you zipped a bunch of the presets together into one downloadable package :) Pretty please.

lede
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
It would be super cool if you zipped a bunch of the presets together into one downloadable package :) Pretty please.

We have actually though of that but you can kind of do this now by checking the ones you want form the list and then clicking the add to cart link.

I'll work on this though and see what we can come up with. It's still a very new site and building a repository takes some time but with the community helping the potential keeps growing so who knows what the future might hold :D

-Lee

Yamba
05-11-2007, 12:47 AM
The following thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63233 gives a bit of background to this great Preset site.

Once again, congratulations to all involved.

Just trying to point people in the right direction.

Yamba

sculptactive
05-13-2007, 12:28 AM
It would be super cool if you zipped a bunch of the presets together into one downloadable package Pretty please

One box to tick to download all the nodal presets would make the site so much more user friendly.
I got to page 4 of the presets and was not able to download any more.

Great site

JeffrySG
05-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey Lee, I've been meaning to try to start using that preset plugin, do you know if it works on v9.2UB on the Mac yet? I thought there were some issues with the plugin on the Mac version for 9 and above, but I could be wrong.

It would be nice if everyone started using this and we generated tons of texture presets to all share!

lede
05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
One box to tick to download all the nodal presets would make the site so much more user friendly.
I got to page 4 of the presets and was not able to download any more.

Great site

I'm working with my service provider on this issue. Several people have run into this and it has something to do with memory. As for a one check box to download them all I'll have to work something out on that. As the site gets bigger this could be a problem for bandwidth and other issues but rest assured we will try and get something tied together to make it easier for you.

Jeffry, I will have to check with the programmer on that one. Jeremy has been in charge of all that and he was part of the beta test team for 9.2 so maybe he has something cooked up for us.

Sorry I don't have a mac so can't test this out. If you run into any problems let me know and I can probably at least ship you the scene files to play with. Aurora has been working on a 9.2 version that take advantage of the new render egine to speed things up.

-Lee

aurora
05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Lee, I've been meaning to try to start using that preset plugin, do you know if it works on v9.2UB on the Mac yet? I thought there were some issues with the plugin on the Mac version for 9 and above, but I could be wrong.

The scene and object will but the preset plugin itself is not completely setup for 9.2. I'm working on making several changes to the setup this week specifically for 9.2. Once I'm done I'll get back with Jeremy, our plugin guru to get it all put together. Theres an intense chance I may be down an out for a couple of weeks so I'm going to push hard to get it done and out this week, atleast my part of the project anyways.

wavk
06-18-2007, 08:49 AM
so, where are all the cool photorealistic presets? i know you guys put allot of effort in it.

mlon

Matt
06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I'll post a few I've done tonight, not sure about photorealistic, but they might serve as starting point!