PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! with skelegons... please.

Ewoodward3
05-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi,
I'm kind of new to all this, i've had lightwave 3Dv9 for about a month or two, and i've been fiddling with it in my spair time, trying to teach myself to use it by the manuals and online tutorials.

at any rate,
I have a model i've built, created skelegons for, weight mapped, and dropped into layout to play with.
however when I click on convert skelegons I get the following message;

"A skelegon with 1 vertices has been found"

I click "ok" the only option it gives me, and it goes away, without converting my skelegons to bones so i can't play with the model i've made.

would someone PLEASE tell me what on earth that message means, and how to fix it so my skelegons convert properly?

Thank you :newhere:

SplineGod
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
You made a mistake when creating the skelegons. Normal skelegons have two vertices. Use the stats window to find any single point polys and delete them.
My recommendation is to not use skelegons and rig in layout.
I also tend to avoid weight maps unless absolutely necessary. LWs bones are already deformers and work without weight maps.
Add the bones, rest them and test deformations to determine if you need a hold bone or two or if you need weight maps or not.
Rigging without weight maps will greatly simply things. :)

stib
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
another quick way to squash that error is to do a merge points. You get this if you use the make skelegons tool in modeler and do a single click.

Larry doubtless knows better than me, but I prefer to make skelegons in Modeler, I find it much easier to edit them using modeller's toolset.

SplineGod
05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I used skelegons until the bone tools were added into layout. Pretty much anything you can do with skelegons you can do with bones. I just prefer to create and edit bones in layout rather then going back and forth. :)

stib
05-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I guess I should spend some time teaching myself to use the bone tools then. My last experience of editing bones in layout was bugs a-plenty, and much weirdness besides.

SplineGod
05-09-2007, 01:47 AM
skelegons have too many 'gotchas' for my taste as well as forcing you to jump back and forth to do simple rigging. I havent had much trouble with the bone tools myself. :)

Ewoodward3
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Awesome,
Thanks both of you,
Other concerns have prevented me from trying either of your solutions yet, but i'm grateful for your quick response and clear explanations (the later especially, being a beginer).
I'll deffinitly have to play with building the bones in layout (the manuals made that seem alot more difficult than the skelegons...)
Thank you again.

SplineGod
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Creating bones in layout is pretty much as easy as it is with skelegons.
Once big difference is that skelegons can take a few more steps to get the pitch lined up properly plus you cant parent skelegons to other ones unless theyre welded. This isnt a problem with bones in layout.