PDA

View Full Version : 8-core benchmarks under Bootcamp

Ozzie
05-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I thought I would post this for anyone who is curious to know the performance of the new MacPro 8-core running Bootcamp.

Specs:
OS Windows XP Pro
4gig RAM
LW 9.0

Using LWs benchmark scenes, stock standard.

Raytrace 8 Threads (running single copy of Lightwave) 16.9seconds per frame
Raytrace 8 Threads (running two copies of Lightwave) 22seconds average per frame. Yep that's two Raytrace frames every 22 seconds!

Radiosity Box 8 Threads (running single copy of Lightwave) 4m13s per frame
Radiosity Box 8 Threads (running two copies of Lightwave) 5m57s average per frame

Just for anyone who may be interested.

Mark

ArneK
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow, that's crazy! I gotta start saving up some money for one of those monsters :)

ArneK
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I just found out that your machine spits out about four frames in the time my G5 dual 2,5 Ghz renders one...

I want one badly :)

Arne

toby
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I also found that running two copies of LW at 8 threads rendered in less than twice the time, on my 2x2 G5. I'm guessing it's because you're minimizing processor down-time by sending more threads than there are processors. This is with the Classic camera though, not as much benefit with the Perspective camera. With an 8 core juggernaut you should see additional speed if you use 16 threads each!

Haven1000
05-09-2007, 02:59 AM
I've tried a similar test with a 8-core and bootcamp but rendering with Kray

XP Pro SP2 & LW9, 5Gb ram.

1 instance of Lightwave: 8 threads: 11min per frame
2 instances of lightwave: 8 threads: 22min per frame

4 threads makes no difference to the frame time.

Looks like Kray can up scale with processors without losing performance.

tyrot
05-09-2007, 03:21 AM
dear ozzie and haven

did you encounter any problems with installing XP into MacPro's?

And is there any problems with 32 bit Lightwave plugins in that system?

best

Haven1000
05-09-2007, 03:54 AM
tyrot,

It was pretty much plain sailing, I followed Apple's Bootcamp guide to the letter and have had no problem's (touch wood). The only thing which I had to do was download the latest ATI drivers for the X1900 as the default refresh rates were doing my head in.

The only plugin which I've added to the LW9.0 install is Kray and it works fine.

One thing which I've noticed when booting into XP from a OS X restart the display can go a bit weird, with pink lines down the display (2x Mitsubishi 19 CRT's with DVI converters). But I find if I shut the machine down first then boot into XP the issue does not appear.

Ozzie
05-09-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi Tyrot, Installing Windows XP was pretty simple. Just download and
launch Bootcamp and follow the prompts. Bootcamp will ask if you want to
burn a "Mac drivers CD" make sure to do this and everything will work fine.
It takes about an hour to install and set Windows up. My system has 5 Macs
running OS X/Windows (two are wireless) and two "proper" PC's, all
networked through a router, and everything works great. All the video graphics
work and editing is done in OS X. All Lightwave/Infinite work is done on the
PC, then I network render everything in Windows, adding machines to the
render as they become available. Just make sure the host machine is
running Window XP Pro if you intend to have more than 5 machines
connected. I use MULE to network render and am very happy with the set-up.

Seriously running Windows on IntelMac is a lot different from the virtual PC days. It runs like itís on a ďrealĒ PC.

CHEERS.

Mark

toby
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey since we're on the subject :D I have a friend who says Windows-LW is running dog-slow on his iMac bootcamp, both display and render speed - to slow to even use. Anybody experience that?

Haven1000
05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't know of an issue relating to slower render times , I'd contact Newtek about that.

As far as the display issue your friend is experiencing it sounds like the same problem which I had. I don't think the boot camp installs ATI drivers so your left with a default driver in XP which gives you a default refresh, which makes the display look slow. I installed the lastest ATI drivers for my graphics card via the ATI website, problem solved. If your friend has one of the 17" imac with the intel graphics chip they may have a problem as there may not be XP drivers for such a card. Hope this helps

toby
05-10-2007, 01:41 AM
That sounds like it could be it. Thanks! I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Ozzie
05-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Toby, it's definitely sounds like a driver problem. After the Bootcamp installer is launched
it asks if you want to burn a MAC driver disk, this is vital. Once Windows has finished installing
it’s recommended to install the MAC drivers straight away, as the video display is very slow
otherwise.

CHEERS.

Mark

Haven1000
05-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Toby, it's definitely sounds like a driver problem. After the Bootcamp installer is launched
it asks if you want to burn a MAC driver disk, this is vital. Once Windows has finished installing
itís recommended to install the MAC drivers straight away, as the video display is very slow
otherwise.

CHEERS.

Mark

I'm not sure that bootcamp installs any of the display drivers, as my displays were driven by default XP drivers until I installed the latest ATI drivers.

Ozzie
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure that bootcamp installs any of the display drivers, as my displays were driven by default XP drivers until I installed the latest ATI drivers.

That's correct, sorry if I was unclear. Bootcamp doesn't actually install any drivers, but it does give you the option to burn a MAC drivers CD that has to be manually installed, once Windows is up an running.

Mark

kopperdrake
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Hmm - this is the problem I had installing Bootcamp, so I installed the drivers manually from off the drivers disk Bootcamp made for me and all was ok until I tried to get it so see the native screen resolution, 1920 x 1200 - now I only get black when I start up! Anyway to boot into safe mode when it's starting as a PC?

Haven1000
05-10-2007, 09:37 AM
My display problem continued to persist after I ran the Bootcamp 1.2 drivers install. This is when I downloaded the latest ATI drivers which gives you the ATI device control panel. I've just checked the bootcamp drivers disk (which you burn from Mac OS X before you install Windows) and it in-fact does have display drivers for ATI, NVIDIA and Intel. These drivers may well have been written by Apple as they write the graphics drivers for OS X.

kopperdrake, I'd try installing the latest drivers from ATI (http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html) and see if that solves your problem.