PDA

View Full Version : 92/HV/Volumetric antialiasing

05-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Finding my way into 92, managing to use Radiosity (final gather) in animation for the first time, getting on well with the new cameras, BUT
my current project has lots & lots of dangly twinkly cut glass wotsits, and I've got them doing nicely with Hypervoxels, and they render just fine & don't improve with antialiasing. When I started the project in 90 I c:help: ould turn off 'Volumetric antialiasing' and everthing else would antialias except the twinkly stuff. In 92 the hypervoxels seem to insist on antialiasing at great length.
Have I missed something as usual?

Sensei
05-08-2007, 07:59 AM
ACT cameras behave like that - they cast rays into scene, and volumetrics are part of ray-traced scene.. With classic camera they're added at the end, in post-process like stage, so their AA can be turned on/off..

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I've noticed HV AA doesn't get any better if you use Adaptive sampling though if your HV are solid surfaces :P

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
In fact, HV's don't get AA'd at all unless they're transparent :P Looks like a big bug...

Umm, further to that, I'm having a hard time getting them to AA nicely in the new act cameras :P

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Okay, now I'm befuddled... I just did a volume render, and it looked okay, and then when I went back to surface, it rendered lovely AA... Gotta dig a bit deeper into this I think...

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Doh, it's down to the reconstruction filter. On classic, opaque surface HVs don't get AA'd at all, no matter what level the AA is set to or if AS is on or off. Switch to gaussian, and you get AA.

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
No, this still seems to be buggy. If I switch to classic, then back to gaussian, the gaussian doesn't seem to do anywhere near a good job... What is going on?

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Okay, this seems to be flickering AA on and off at random. Can someone please enlighten me as to what is going on with HV's and AA?

Start a new scene. Add a Null and make it a HV. Render... gives me different results (on or off) for AA every other time I tweak something.

jameswillmott
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
It's VIPER that kills antialiasing of HV's, it's been Fogged already.

Dodgy
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Ahhhh, I thought I was going out of my mind :) Thanks James.