PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 3 Discussion

jin choung
05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
howdy!

anyone else contribute to the $151.7 million weekend? :)

i did, thursday midnight to be be precise....

so what'd you guys think?

i liked it. it was flawed and not as good as the second one in terms of story.

LOTS OF COINCIDENCES. but if you can write it off to "comic bookiness", you're golden.

LOTS OF PLOT!

LOTS OF perhaps goofy developments that makes the proceedings less "dignified" but perhaps more fun.

but considering that there is SOO much story, nobody really gets shortchanged much and the movie does an admirable job of keeping all the balls in the air which is a feat!

CG is good and whenever sandman was on-screen, i kept ruminating on render time.

both he and venom are a technical director's tourdeforce! man, that's a lot of innovative programming and procedural animation up there. i can't imagine how i would replicate the gooey interconnected strands of venom in lw.

the fights are awesome!

but dang it, you REALLY can still tell when they're using the CG doubles. it's really brave of them to have so many fights with the characters unmasked but you can still tell.

i think the only shot that is completely "untellable" is the shot after harry gets clotheslined and knocked out. peter leaps down from like the fourth floor and it looks FLAWLESS... that looks like the actor doing an impossible jump and land.

oh, and peter does a LOT of damage (both physical and emotional) and some of those threads don't really get resolved so you just end up feeling like - "wow, he really hurt a lot of people...."

anyhoo, i enjoyed it and it was a grand popcorn flick and an excellent way to kick off the summer.

any other opins? any vfx stuff grab anyone's attention? gripes?

jin

Mr Maze
05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't know, after reading soooooo many Spidey comics as a kid I thought Venom's character wasn't given enough time onscreen...I think that someone else posted in another Spiderman thread that they could have used Venom alone to make another movie, and I agree with that.

Sandman was pretty amazing.

kyuzo
05-08-2007, 02:29 AM
I saw Spidey 3 on Saturday. I wasn't blown away like I was when the first one came out, but that's probably because I knew what to expect so far as effects and the whole visual style.
There was a LOT crammed into the film, and the first half was just bouncing around introducing and setting up characters and situations that played out in the second half.
I agree with Mr Maze - Venom could have had a lot more screentime, but then again so could Sandman. But then I also liked that some of the supporting characters get a bit more screentime, like Peter's teacher and his landlord... Sigh, so many characters, so little screentime...

Worth going to see again...

ZWF_BES
05-08-2007, 05:50 AM
I seen it on Sunday and i was quite bored by the movie. Only parts i liked was Peter Parker walking like John Travolta and the Sandman.

Rest was not worth it imho.

manproof
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Except for the incredible effects and Bruce Campbell's contribution, I was disappointed with the movie.

One of X-Men 3’s downfalls was that they tried to handle two stories that each deserved their own movie: the Phoenix storyline, and the mutants-losing-powers plot. Spiderman 3 suffers from the same affliction. The alien costume/Venom story could have been given its own movie easily. Instead, they crammed in a little “Sandman and his daughter,” with a dash of “Harry and Spidey still don’t get along.” Also, the Stan Lee cameo, which started as a funny nod to fans, has become a forced pause in the movie that seems to be attached to the rest of the film with a small amount of duct tape.

As an animatic for a video game, Spiderman 3 was great. As a movie, it’s lacking.

Lottmedia
05-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Wow, I have to say we saw it this weekend and I wanted my time (if not my money) back. It was honestly the worst movie I've seen in years. The plot was pitiful, the acting bad and the cg was mostly way too over the top. I know it's a comic book film, but it all looked like cg, in a really bad way. most of the stuff with harry on the flying board looked like spykids or sharkboy and lavagirl, very second rate. Not what I was expecting from a major production

Casey :cat:

StormRising
05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Sandman in my uncle, Tomas Haden Curch.
He's been in a lot of shows/movies. I can't wait to see him as sandman!!!
It is cool to have an actor uncle, but evn cooler to have sandman as an uncle!!

BigHache
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Sweet. I thought he was a good pick for the Sandman. I wasn't impressed with Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. The actors played off each other well enough but Eddie Brock was supposed to be an Olympic athlete.

There was a LOT of storyline, a bit too much. I had hoped there would have been more of a focus on Venom than anything else. Goblin could have been dismissed.

But, it had Bruce Campbell.

jin choung
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/article426.html

ouch... again, another example of the importance of being able to play well with others. INTEROPERABILITY is king.

(article mentions lw once and it's about how it was cut out!)

jin

p.s. THC is such a cool actor. he did a tremendous job in creating empathy for sandman. i never watched wings but i loved ned and stacy and sideways.

Mark The Great
05-09-2007, 11:41 PM

Your uncle did a fabulous job. I loved his character.

Lottmedia
05-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Sandman was defiantly the best character out there this time (best acted, realized and such) Have to disagree about there being a lot of plot. There was a lot of stuff, but it wasn't plot. Dialogue, writing, acting, special effects, everything was just poor all around. Someone seemed to think that making it long made it better, which was decidedly not the case.

Casey :cat:

Dodgy
05-10-2007, 03:09 AM
http://www.fxguide.com/article426.html

ouch... again, another example of the importance of being able to play well with others. INTEROPERABILITY is king.

(article mentions lw once and it's about how it was cut out!)

jin

Well it states how in the previous film they used LW for previs and then had to render out to movies so the maya team could use that as their guides. Why they didn't use FBX to convert between the two or any of the other LW->Maya pipelines is anybody's guess (maybe because autodesk isn't maintaining the fbx plugins outside of it's little Max/Maya/motionbuilder club?). Maybe they just wanted to make it all one pipeline. Presumably if it had been a 3ds->cinema 4d they would have dumped 3ds.

Anyway, I saw it last night, and I thought it was okay. Too many coincidences and a lot of crying, not a patch on the first two, but it was okay. The fx were dodgy. I didn't think the goblin was too bad, but the sandman was sub-mummy, and spidey was dodgy too in places.

Dodgy
05-10-2007, 03:16 AM
I love how it says they were given a gravity simulator.... That plugin must have taken all of half an hour to write, and yet it gets a special mention.... And all that time they spent on venom's body language was kind of wasted given how dark everything was, I could barely make out his face let alone anything else. I liked the crawling venom goo. That had quite a personality.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-10-2007, 04:06 AM
I liked the crawling venom goo. That had quite a personality.

Yeah, evil flubber deserves an academy award for best blob :) .

I just read that George Lucas called Spiderman 3 "silly" while insisting that Star Wars only seemed silly.

I'm already sick of sequels from the trailers alone. Bring on Starscream.

StormRising
05-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Your uncle did a fabulous job. I loved his character.
Dude!, thank you. It's cool to hear a lot of people liked Tom's character.
I bet I could pull-off that venom goo with Lightwave. Set-up some growing splines, get some particles or points to kinda fallow the splines and eachother, a bit of crazy hypervoxels, and tadaah! The animation doesn't have to work perfectly, just enough. You would probly model some of it as well just for final finshed growth.
Think of how much stuff in movies is touched-up, after render even to appeal to the concept. Am I crazy to say that?:devil:

jin choung
05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
yeah, touch ups are one of the nice things of working in a medium that renders to frames (i.e. not games). i was amazed that when they did the T1000 in terminator 2, they were having problems with the nurbs seams/blends pulling apart and they had to paint the gaps...

-------------------

I KNOW!!! GEORGE LUCAS CALLS SPIDER-MAN SILLY?!?!?! if that isn't the pot calling the kettle darth!!! WTF?!?! has he completely lost all sense of proportion and judgment?!

what part of jar jar is not silly?! what part of vader looking up and screaming "noooooooooooooooo!" is not so ludicrous that it makes everyone in the audience burst into laughter!

oh george... how far you've fallen. and yet you have the nerve to judge spider-man....

tsk tsk tsk.

----------------------------------------------------------

as for why there wasn't an attempt to use FBX or polytrans.... i dunno, i can only speculate that there's enough of a difference between the apps - especially how it deals with animation - that the translation incurred too much hassle energy.

after all, at that point, the question comes down to "how much better is lw at previz so that it warrants using lw at all"....

and as far as i can see, i can't see any advantage here. doing simple translation animation is arguably a wash and doing simple armature posing and ik is surely easier in maya. sure, price per seat but in large productions like this, i'll bet this isn't even a consideration. frankly, i'm surprised they used lw in that pipeline at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------

i heard initially, the story was about sandman and goblin2 but avi arad, serving as an advocate for the fans, pushed for venom. so my guess is that this is why everything seems so "shoe horned".

but for having so many elements stuffed in there, i do find it admirable that they kept all those balls in the air. sure, they did it with coincidences but imo, it held together.

jin

p.s. aaaahhhh... yeah, i had a suspicion that they "brute forced" the venom animation... vertex by vertex or using deformers.... yikes.

Chilton
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi,

Thomas Haden Church is a superactor among mortals.
He should be in at least one movie a year, preferably two.
Everything he does is art.

-Chilton
/Lowell fan
//Ned fan

RedBull
05-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Spiderman3 was officially crap.......

The acting, the story i thought that i was watching "When Peter met Mary"
for god sake..... Cringe City, too boring to sit through, and we had covered all that ground in the previous movies.

You wonder how a director can just get so many things wrong, when a more normalized story had been made in the last two previous attempts.....
FX were top notch, and well above the previous incarnations.

Sorry, Thomas Haden Church cannot do serious roles at all, and was really really bad in this movie..... (Hey he was good in Ned & Stacy) as was Toby...
In fact the dialogue made everyone look a bit crap, 3rd time around.

It lacked polish and a complete lack of execution, tried to be too serious, too comicy, to dramatic, tounge in cheek and failed miserably at all of them.....

So much potential wasted.....

I hope it sold a lot of happy meals, because i was fed any satisfaction....

bluerider
05-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Spiderman 3 is probably the greatset Movie ever made. It will without doubt be up there with Citizen Cane or ranging bull. The acting was incredible.

sammael
05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Its rubbish...

bluerider
05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
The effects where great. :hey:

warrenwc
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
IMHO
Seems some people are setting a pretty high standard for a movie based on COMIC BOOKS:)
I had a good time with it & my wife liked it too.
Was Stan Lee in either of the first two? I don't remember.

sammael
05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
how come it says my post was edited by bluerider???? or is my browser playing tricks on me?

And again this film was rubbish, typical hollywood crap.

bluerider
05-14-2007, 02:32 AM
how come it says my post was edited by bluerider???? or is my browser playing tricks on me?

And again this film was rubbish, typical hollywood crap.

Sorry my bad, I meant to hit quote but hit edit. I didn't actually edit anything. I just hit the edit button. :)

Very sorry about that.

sammael
05-14-2007, 05:53 AM
hmm thats odd that one would be allowed to edit someone elses post...
I din'nt mean to do any finger pointing, I just found it odd that that would be possible in the first place

bluerider
05-14-2007, 07:34 AM
sammael,
I have moderator privilages and genuinely hit edit by accident. :)

I'll try not to let it happen again.

I'm so glad I don't work in a uranium plant or nuclear missile silo :devil: .

erikals
05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
check it,... :)
http://www.imageworks.com/video/spiderman3_1.html

theo
05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
GEORGE LUCAS CALLS SPIDER-MAN SILLY?!?!?! if that isn't the pot calling the kettle darth!!! WTF?!?! has he completely lost all sense of proportion and judgment?!

Guess I've lost all sense of proportion and judgment, as well, since I, too, thought Spider Man 3 bordered on being a silly waste of time as did my buddy.

Not to overshadow all of your fine comments here, Jin, but Spider Man 3 was so poorly integrated in terms of plot, action and dialog that it lacked any sense of real finesse and class.

The worst part is that the film was so P.C. that I was wondering if the thing was produced by a teddy bear person. There was, literally, zero pure, undiluted wickedness in the main two antagonists.

It was absurdly catatonic in this sense since the main awful-naughties were "evil" due to reasons that almost made us "feel" for the awful-naughties.

Man, Spider Man 3 rates as a tepid film when all of the cinematic elements are factored together! On par with 300, in my view, which was also tepid- bloody, but tepid.

jin choung
05-21-2007, 11:45 PM
that's cool.

my ASTONISHMENT comes from the fact that someone who created STAR WARS EP 1 - 3 would dare dismiss something else as silly.

jin

jin choung
05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
in case i need to be more clear -

this is tantamount in my mind to britney spears calling christina aguilerra's music silly.

jin

parm
05-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I went along on Sunday with my wife. We both enjoyed the film, thoroughly entertaining :thumbsup:

Danic101
05-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you say Return of the Jedi? It was a redemption movie that was poorly edited and way too long.

Did the crane scene suck as bad as I thought it did.

jin choung
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
to clarify yet again - episode 1 - 3 were created from 1999 onward.

star wars to rotj is episode 5 - 6.

jin

erikals
05-23-2007, 01:22 AM
I agree Jin, in my opinion Star Wars 1-3 should simply be forgotten.
Lucas has done some cool things, but surely has made some VERY bad things as well. (Dig deep into the Lucas archive and you shall find some really horrible stuff made by Lucas)

Star Wars 4 was a masterpiece though, still is imo.
(I'm talking about the original Star Wars 4, not the 'improved' version)

jin choung
05-23-2007, 01:53 AM
AGREED! counter to many people, my favorite is #4 a new hope as well and not the empire strikes back. (although some of the digital retouching of the finale at the deathstar i thought was pretty cool... but most of his digital revisions are unnecessary crap... also, since he was digitally retouching, WTF is R2 still BLACK AND WHITE IN SPACE?!?! if you're gonna go back and do some digital touch up, make him BLUE for pete's sake!)

and he's definitely made stinkers. howard the duck?! indiana jones tv shows. bleeeeuuuuhhh.....

yah, it's too bad that people don't leave well enough alone and RUIN THE LEGACY of good things.

the prequels were a mistake. and the second and third matrix movies REALLY makes you forget how awesome the first one was.

and number two really really made me forget how great the first pirates of the carribean (surprisingly) was!

the third indiana jones movie totally nullified the series (raiders is a classic though that can't be tarnished imo by its lesser sequels).

in recent memory, the only sequel that surpassed the original was the return of the king (i LOVED rotk, i disliked the first one, HATED the second one, loved the books). spider-man 2 was better than the first one (though neither are masterpieces).

jin