PDA

View Full Version : Mega Nasty Bumpmap Bug!!

CF01
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
This one is really ugly. You can reproduce it by doing the following.

- Apply a bump to an object using an image and UVs

- Deform the mesh in layout(example bones)

- Render with the photoreal motion blur(does not happen with classic)

These things combined will always make weird errors happen for me.

Here are a couple renders along with a quick example scene I made.

CF01
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I haven't encountered any other other problems with it. Did they say that it wasn't supposed to?

stevecullum
05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Deformations work fine with PRMB. MDD, Bones, morphs etc..

How did you apply the bump map? Nodes or layers? (Can't test your scene right now)

If your using the image map node, try using the bump layer node instead and see if it resolves the issue. I had something similar myself and it worked for me..

CF01
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
The test scene uses the old layers system, but I have had the same results using nodes.

CF01
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
It only seems too happen with the bump.

jameswillmott
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Deformations do work with photoreal motion blur, they are just inefficient with long blur times. You have to use motion blur passes with deformations, but I'm not sure that is the problem here.

CF01
05-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Is anyone else encountering this problem? Surely I'm not the only one who uses UVs to apply a bump map to a deforming object. I would think there would be a lot more people encountering such a major problem. I like the new PRMB and would use it if it didn't have this issue.

stevecullum
05-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I'll have a look at your scene as see if I can help find a cure...

CF01
05-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I should also mention that the errors change from frame to frame. It's very obvious in animations.

stevecullum
05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Yep.. definately something up here. Did you report it to NT yet?

I hope this get fixed soon. Maybe you can use a procedural for now that gives a similar pattern..

CF01
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I'll send it to the LWbugs email address. Unfortunately I need very specific detail in the projects I've been having trouble with. Other projection methods are not having problems, but they are not all suitable for my situations. I'll just have to go back to the classic MB. Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy:)

You can't see it in the pictures above, but the errors usually look like really bad compression artifacts.