PDA

View Full Version : Modeler's Bend Tool?

IMI
05-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I find Modeler's Bend tool to be entirely too sensitive to mouse movement, and I was wondering if there's a way to reduce the sensitivity? Like maybe an L-Script or something?
When you activate Bend, the Numeric panel doesn't have any real options in it except for Shape and Range. It's VERY easy to make a bend that's way, way beyond what I want, and it always takes me too long to get a bend just right because of that.
If there were a way to lower the sensitivity, that is, cause the mouse to have to be moved farther to make a change, that'd be great, but I don't know if there's any way to do that.
I know how to manually type in values, i.e., range and degree of bend, and have reverted to that at times, but that's even more time-consuming, and I rarely need to make a bend that accurate. I mostly use it for morphing.
Thanks. :)

hrgiger
05-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes, the bend tool has always been a real pain for me when it comes to that. I think they really need to revise it. I find it unintuitive and unpredictable.

Which viewport are you dragging with when you use the bend? Say you draw out a rectangle in the front view with several vertical segments. You would think that playing your cursor in the front view and clicking and dragging from the point you want to bend would be what you want to do. Actually, you should use the front view to draw out your falloff with your right mouse button (or whatever the mac equivalent is these days) and then place your cursor in the top viewport and click and drag there.

Matt
05-07-2007, 06:49 AM
There are a few tools that are like this, especially if you zoom in, suddenly the movement increments are wild and totally unusable.

IMI
05-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I *would* think that I'd use the same viewport to drag as I used to set the bend range thing - and that's exactly what I've been doing.
I'll have to give your suggestion a try. Thanks. :)

IMI
05-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Well I'll be... that worked, hrgiger, doing what you suggested. It's still kind of too sensitive, but your suggestion works a helluva lot better than what I was doing... for about 3 years now or so. Maybe now I won't dread it so much when I know I'm gonna be using Bend.
Live and learn...
Thank you much!