PDA

View Full Version : scene baking, diminishing returns

Johnny
05-06-2007, 10:23 AM
thought I'd give baking a scene for lighting a try for a scene I'm working on.

I'm doing a test file, first, and making the size 2048, thinking that resolution will be necessary when the cam gets close to objects, which it will in this scene.

I get the Baking progress window, but even after hours, it won't register above 0%!

I'm starting to think baking ain't the way...

what's other peoples' experience with baking?

thanks!

J

toby
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
How long does a normal render take? Try a test render at a smaller size to get an idea of how long it will take. How many surfaces are you trying to bake at once?

I guess you're using the Surface Baker Shader since you're in 8.5. Anti-Aliasing is really slow, as is Shading noise reduction. It's better to render at a higher res than to use either of these things. And don't be surprised if these are overnight renders -

gerry_g
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't even bother trying to bake in 8.5, yes I have tried it, several times and successfully I might add, but it tends to give the impression it's hanging, then several hours later (and I do mean several hours) it surprises you with a render, all this grief for a measly 512x512. The one in Nine is a huge improvement though not as good as Modo which is very fuss free and will do you occlusion at the click of a button to boot