PDA

View Full Version : Better Normal Displacment plugin for 64?

HanJobSoSlow
05-06-2007, 08:02 AM
The standard one is slow and has very few options IMHO.

Im used to using one on 32 that has Cache Geom - Use displaced mesh - world co-ords - vertex size.

Is there anything that works well with 64 thats bertter than the stock option?:jam:

Ztreem
05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Are you using nodes? which version of LW are you using?

HanJobSoSlow
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Using 9.2

Rendering in fprime3

Havent tried the nodes - dont know why - I just assumed it wouldnt work with prime 8-))))

Is the node version just hte same as running the plugin as far as Fprimes concerned?

Ztreem
05-07-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't know, I don't have Fprime so I can't answer that. But I know that you're quite limited with Fprime and displacement because you can't use APS and you must use the same amount of subdivisions that you see in the viewport. Maybe someone that have Fprime can answer if you can use node displacement with Fprime?

HanJobSoSlow
05-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Many thanks anyhow.

Got other probs with fprime I got to suss anyhow...:eek:

ANyone else got a DIPSLACEMENT plugin suggestion for 64?

dpont
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Have tried a simple surface nodal displacement?
With an image map or procedural alpha scalar
connected to displacement, you get normal displacement,
but check the Bump Displacement in Object properties
and give it a distance.

Denis.

Mattoo
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
The Node Displacement is just as good as Lynx's old plugin. It has less options but I honestly haven't missed any of them. It's worked just fine with output from ZBrush and Mudbox.
It also works fine with FPrime 3.01, but just as Ztreem said you need to have the Display subdivision set pretty high, FPrime only uses the polygons given to it.
I'm not running 64bit but I'd suspect the Nodal system is working fine in that build too.

HanJobSoSlow
05-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Cheers - might give this a try - I have a lot of scenes already set up in 32 bit that need rendering - I was hoping for minimal nodal involvment if I swithch to 64bit as I have to get rendering painlessly/quickly - Ive not done any nodal work yet so attempting some while on a deadline is a turn off. Im sure its easy but I just dont have time to let my head be distracted right now. Easier to find an old fashioned one. Time is ticking though.

By the sounds of it it was Lynxs plugin I was using -

Just as a last attempt is there any non nodal way of displacements in 64?

Mattoo
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
What kind of displacement are you looking to achieve? I'm assuming you want it for rendering ZBrush/Mudbox work. In which case it's very easy to set up, there's even a little bit in the manual specifically that shows you how.
I'm not a big fan of Nodal, I'm rubbish with it even after years of monkeying with Maya's node system, but copying directly from the manual... that I can do.

Oh, and no, I'm not aware of any other plugins for 64bit or 32 bit for this.

HanJobSoSlow
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Cheers anyhow!