PDA

View Full Version : Please help me catch up

dranos
05-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi all,

I sort of stopped using Lightwave after buying a Mac Pro only to find that it renders slower (infact everything is slower) than my old G5 and it probably wont catch up before October when Leopard comes out. My Lightwave 8.5 has been gathering dust for months. However just last week I got a call to work on a few new projects and need some advice on what is now available and how to access them.

Here are a few questions:
1. What is the difference with a convenience upgrade and a normal upgrade to LW 9?
2. Will LW 9 work better and faster on a MacPro?
3. I'd like an extra LW key so I can work on both my machines, how do I o about getting one?
4. Is there an easy way to network render with my two macs?

Thanks in advance.

Sarford
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
1. What is the difference with a convenience upgrade and a normal upgrade to LW 9?

I believe the convenience upgrade is with cd's and manuals, normal upgrade is download only

Not realy, not until the UB version is out. But... if you upgrade to LW 9, you can participate in the open Beta and use the LW9.2 UB. Still beta but UB.

3. I'd like an extra LW key so I can work on both my machines, how do I o about getting one?

You wanna work on both machines at the same time? Buy a new seat. You can save a couple of hunderd dollars if you have Photoshop. If you wanna work on both of your machines one at the time, you can do that already, use the same key for both machines.

Renderfarm Commander is a nice, easy and cheap utility to setup rendernodes. It is also possible to use PC's and Mac's in the same farm. There is also another utility but I forgot its name.

Scazzino
05-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Not realy, not until the UB version is out. But... if you upgrade to LW 9, you can participate in the open Beta and use the LW9.2 UB. Still beta but UB.

Renderfarm Commander is a nice, easy and cheap utility to setup rendernodes. It is also possible to use PC's and Mac's in the same farm. There is also another utility but I forgot its name.

Here's some additional input on your questions.

2. It also depends upon which Mac you are coming from. LW 9.0 & 9.2 CFM (Non-UB) render much faster on my 8 core 3GHz Mac pro under Rosetta translation than on my much older Power Mac dual processor 2GHz G5 (up to 6 times faster). This is due to how much faster the 8-core is over the old G5 so that it more than compensates for the speed hit incurred by Rosetta. One caveat though, Rosetta has rather large memory overhead, so scenes that were at the upper memory limit on a G5 (just over 2GB) may run out of RAM on the MacPro (at under 2GB) regardless of how much RAM is installed. Of course as Sarford said, you can join the Open Beta and use the LW 9.2 UB which runs at full speed (up to 11 times faster) and has no such memory overhead problems.

3. The other Mac render farm controller is called ScreamerNet Controller for OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/advanced_network_rendering.html#screamernet_contro ller). Here is some info on advanced network rendering (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/advanced_network_rendering.html) with third party controllers to run a Mac render farm.

dranos
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks or all the help so far. The reason I need extra keys is because I'd like to keep working when one machine is rendering. I have a DP 2.66 MHz Mac Pro, a DP 1.8MHz G5 and an Athlon 64bit Dell Dimension. What is the best way to get all the machines to work in harmony?

BeeVee
05-07-2007, 06:26 AM
"Buy a new seat. You can save a couple of hunderd dollars if you have Photoshop."

LightWave counts as a companion product too, and I'm fairly certain the user already has a copy of that... ;)

B

Sarford
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks or all the help so far. The reason I need extra keys is because I'd like to keep working when one machine is rendering.

You don't need a new seat for that, Renderfarm commander can handle that quite well, so can ScreamerNet Controller (I think) as screamernet itself. To render on one node while working on another can all be done with one seat.
(Sorry Ben, there goes your sale... :D )

LightWave counts as a companion product too
Well, I didn't know that, thats good news! I'll certainly make advantage of that when I'll buy a new seat.