PDA

View Full Version : Humming Sound

gary williams
05-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I've just upgraded from 9.0 to 9.2. When I launch either Modeler or Layout I hear a very irritating, high pitched sound from the computer. When I close
them the sound remains until I physically quit the Hub. Then it stops.

I,m running Lightwave on a Mac G5 OS 10.4.9. This is the first problem I've
ever had that is really significant. Has anyone had this problem?:help:

garynb
05-06-2007, 05:26 AM
I have the same problem, wonder what it is?

Cheers

Gary

garynb
05-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I think that's the difference as it only happens when running lightwave, never heard the sound before.

I'm running a G5 2g duel.

Time to buy a new machine lol.

Cheers

Gary

sparky1972
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Hello all,

I have a Late 2005 Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz. I hear a similar strange sound when the 9.2 hub is running. I also noticed that the hub consumes about 17% CPU time just idling by itself!! This didn't happen with 8.5 at all. The noise though is (through some digging around on the internet, apple docs, etc) due to the use of "DFS". DFS is a "feature" where the CPU automatically slows down when under light loads. This CPU slow down or "throttling" is to conserve energy. Apparently when the CPU is changing its speed, it does so rather noisily. Older powerbooks allowed you to set the CPU throttle manually to either "reduced", "auto" or "high" performance. However, on these last generation powerbooks, Apple took that ability away and the CPU speed is completely automatically controlled. I actually took the machine to the local apple store, had the logic board replaced under warranty and the replacement logic board does the same thing. So it must be a "feature". I've heard of other macs (particularly G5 based machines) making a similar noise when set to "automatic" processor performance. My 2 cents....

gary williams
05-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info. It is nice to know I'm not alone. The one thing I did neglect to mention was ... the sound has also occurred while surfing the Internet. When I bring up some site the sound will start. Then when I close
the site, the sound will stop. It is just some sites and not all.

Thanx to all ... Gary

sirzero
05-07-2007, 04:52 AM
I've had this problem as well.
Im using an older Powerbook (1.25 GHz). The sound has been here from 9.2, never before when using Lightwave. Only one other application brings this sound from my mac, MaxMSP.
Another thing I've found is that if I run my mac off battery power, the sound almost disappears and becomes a lot less intrusive.
Really annoying though....

Brentford Nylon
05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I assumed that I couldn't be only one with this problem but I'm surprised that it's happening on machines other than the G5 PowerMac because my first guess was that it was the notorious chirping/whining power supply problem.

9.2 is the only app. I have that causes the whine and it's effing annoying. Has anyone here raised it as a support issue?

Cheers.

sirzero
05-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah... know what you mean. Perhaps it's to do with some general architecture apple uses... I don't know.

Don't know if it's been raised as a support issue with Newtek, but have read many threads on this on apple forums with different applications. Don't think Newtek could or should do anything about this though, as it seems it's an issue with apple.

Iaian7
05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I haven't heard much yet from Lightwave, but then, I haven't been using 9.2 much either (still frightened by various crashes, seems it's not as stable as 9.0). The G5 computers I use (dual and quad PPCs) do make other strange noises in sync with various on-screen actions; dragging a Finder window across the screen emits clicking noises (kinda like a quiet version of the iPod scroll sound). It's subtle, but if the room is quiet, it's pretty clear... and comes from somewhere inside the case.

Very strange... I dislike the feeling it gives, kinda like the computer is running off gerbil wheels and voodoo charms. Not entirely untrue for some computers, I guess. :D

Earl
05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
The G5 computers I use (dual and quad PPCs) do make other strange noises in sync with various on-screen actions; dragging a Finder window across the screen emits clicking noises (kinda like a quiet version of the iPod scroll sound). It's subtle, but if the room is quiet, it's pretty clear... and comes from somewhere inside the case.
I get these exact same noises on my PC (running Windows XP). This noise occurs if an OpenGL heavy application is running, and I move windows around or rotate the view, etc. I've been thinking it is my video card (ATI Radeon X850).

Roly
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm on PC too and get those strange noises some times like Earl said , but
I think is more than just the video card. Some people experience those
noises with Nvidia video cards too. Some attributed it to the PSU, some
say the drivers, a problem with video card capacitors, harmonics and what
else. What is for sure is that occur while in OpenGL and under graphics
intensive situations.

Pentium IV 3.4Ghz, 2GB of RAM, ATI FireGL V7100, Windows XP Pro
( 32 bit ) SP2, Lightwave 9.2.

gary williams
05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm really glad to have generated some discussions. Before my original post
I had discussed this with a Newtek Tech. as part of another problem. He has been using 9.2 on an Intel based G5 with no problems. My machine is an early G5. I am also using an ATI 9600 card.

Brentford Nylon
05-10-2007, 04:08 AM
...have read many threads on this on apple forums with different applications. Don't think Newtek could or should do anything about this though, as it seems it's an issue with apple.

Very true but the immediate problem is what changed in 9.2?

Was something done that increases the utility or usability of the software and the unfortunate side effect is that sends the G5 PowerMac's power supply into a fit, or was it an errant change that results in no benefit to the user and no matter which, is there a solution to the problem?

The change from Apple would be a new power supply, the change from Newtek a new point release. This is only my layman's point of view of course, but I know which I think would be more pragmatic.

sirzero
05-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Couldn't tell you what changed in 9.2 to bring this about.
Perhaps it's to do with how an application allocates cpu-power when idling (the Hub in this case), although that's just a wild guess.

toby
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
It's 9.2. It's done it on my dual G5 from the first time I used it, and it's the only time I ever hear it. I'd probably never hear it if the machine wasn't so quiet.

I guess it's the "cheap components", just like on the PCs.

Chilton
05-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Howdy from San Antonio,

( if you speak of Mac things in the Mac forums, I see them faster, as these other caves are foreign to me. )

1) Not everyone here has the same problem. -- similar, but not the same.
2) I know what all of the problems are. -- I get them, too.
3) I have fixes for everything. -- Some of them are already in progress.

But it's all going into the UB. I probably won't fix these particular issues in the CFM version due to the amount of lower level trickery needed to fix one of them.

-Chilton

avkills
05-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Guys with G5s, go into the Energy Saver settings and change the processor performance to "Highest".

Although, interestingly enough, I just checked mine and it was on automatic and I have not heard the whine while using 9.2.

I have heard it before though, but it has been a quite a while.

-mark

toby
05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I always have mine set to high when I use LW, it still makes the noise.

Also noticed that the fan gets louder when set to automatic, when you do something processor intensive and it switches itself to high. If left on High it never gets as loud.

Beau_M
05-13-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm on PC too and get those strange noises some times like Earl said , but
I think is more than just the video card. Some people experience those
noises with Nvidia video cards too. Some attributed it to the PSU, some
say the drivers, a problem with video card capacitors, harmonics and what
else. What is for sure is that occur while in OpenGL and under graphics
intensive situations.

I don't know about the problem on G5s', but on PC I know from experience with this problem, if you are hearing strange squeeks and pops through your pc speakers while under a heavy gpu load, it can often be a sign of poor grounding, or simply by having the video and sound cards physically too close to one another. A simple test is to move the cards to different slots and see if it still occurs. If so, you may want to look into a shielding plate that slots in-between the video and sound cards (supposedly reducing the crossover, but I don't know how effective they are). In my case however, I discovered the actual case I am using did not provide sufficient grounding, and I had to make several adjustments to it before the noise went away.

However, this problem isn't specific to any version of anything really. Just thought I'd mention it incase it's a problem to someone else.