PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Question: video/web

EthanG
05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello,

I have just finished my first 3d animation. I've put so much work into it, and it is looking good (for a first time noob at least). I am ready to render, but something tells me that I am doing something wrong.

Our professor has asked us to render at a certain size, so that it will appear that the render was done in wide screen format, but save time in the rendering process and also file size. The resolution was 720x405 at a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9.

When I render out a still image or whole scene, my image is stretched out a great deal, and is very distorted when compared to my modeled character. I am under the impression that the video should straighten itself out, or look the way it does in lightwave pre-render that is, when I burn it to dvd and then watch it on a television or monitor. If this is not the case, please let me know.

If the pixel aspect ratio is corrected through the DVD, then I will be pleased, but there is also the matter of hosting this animation on my website. I tried to render at a pixel aspect ratio of 1, and it looked more true to the model inlightwave, but I have been told, by my professor, that this is bad practice, and that I would run into trouble. What settings should I render with when planning on streaming the video over the web. I plan compressing it with a 3rd party after the render.

I ask you these questions because I have never dealt with them, and my professor...well, I don't think he has been working with the program that long either.

So, if anyone could help me out, it would be apreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!
-EThanG

Steamthrower
05-05-2007, 07:48 PM
my professor...well, I don't think he has been working with the program that long either.

I think you may be on to something there.

When he says ''you'll run into trouble on down the road'', I think he's contradicting himself. If you were really seriously doing a job, you probably wouldn't render out in such an odd ratio (better to letterbox it in your NLE). Have you tried rendering out in 720x480, with an aspect of 1.2?

EthanG
05-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks for your interest inigo07. I have rendered at the the NTSC standard 720x480, and it looked fine, but again, this makes for a very square image and a lot would be lost with letter boxing it. I haven't experimented with the actual wide screen aspect ratio that much, but when I did, the image was still a little distorted. I am going to have to experiment with different renders later, because this guy will fail me, or at least give me a C or something if I don't follow his guidelines; he thinks he is all knowing.

So, do you have any recommendations for rendering so that it still looks wide screen but doesn't use a film aspect ratio that might stretch the video?

EthanG
05-06-2007, 03:13 AM
I just did some more test renders, and even at strange resolutions, like 720x200, if I leave the aspect ratio to 1, I get renders that look true to the lightwave animation file/model.

So, do I have to re-render my entire animation with the 1 aspect ratio, or are there 3rd party programs that will be able to compress the video into what I need?

Ztreem
05-06-2007, 05:12 AM
The thing is if you want to show it in a computer environment square pixels is the best. But for TV and DVD you use a aspect ratio that's not square. For example both PAL and PAL widescreen uses a resolution of 720*576 pixels but they have different aspect ratios. In LW you have presets for the most common formats, so you just use what you want. So if you want it to be in NTSC Widescreen, just choose this preset in the camera properties. When you render this it will look distorted because pixels has a aspect ratio of 1 (square) and will show the picture in wrong ratio. Then when you take your sequence into a editor like SpeedEdit or Premier you set the ratio to widescreen and everything will look good again. Then you can render it out for TV/DVD or Web and all will still look fine.

Steamthrower
05-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Right, you'll have to have access to an NLE to do this.

Seriously though, don't get depressed, because I think you know more about it than your professor. He's asking you to do an illogical thing. But if you can manage it and get a good grade, congrats. If not, don't feel too bad about it.

EthanG
05-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm doing what I must for the class, but I have already started renders for myself at more proper ratios. The thing is that the labs are closed during the summer...and I don't have the programs on my PC. :thumbsdow