PDA

View Full Version : Who likes text adventures?

Steamthrower
05-05-2007, 09:31 AM
There's a bunch of geeks here, including myself, so I have a feeling that nearly everyone has experienced the early Collossal Cave, and at one point wanted to work at Infocom.

So anyone else still play them? Found the Coconut of Quendor and successfully conquered the grues?

Tzan
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I actually got an interview at Infocom :)
But I didnt get hired :(

I only played them way back then.

Para
05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
You are in a dark cave. The cave surrounds you in every direction.
> WEST
You fall into a pit! You die.

...not my forté although I don't hate them either.

badllarma
05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
:D I wrote on of these for my GCSE's (Computer Studies, passed BTW :)) 20 years ago in BASIC pity it's all learning how to use office etc these days (applications) and not the coding behind it.

BBC B and BASIC I loved programming those machines:thumbsup:

Exception
05-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I liked the Lucasarts ones.
"It's a hamster! Just what I need for my science experiment on tuesday."

Day of the tentacle, sam n max, maniac mansion etc...
And then of course Bad Mojo...

Qexit
05-06-2007, 08:26 AM
After Infocom, the most famous name I can think of would be Scott Adams...or was that Scott Addams ?. His range of text adventures were somewhat more affordable than the Infocom ones but still great fun. Then there was Level 9 here in the UK. I played all of these for hours and hours and hours......

Infocom addicts can still play one of the all-time classics...on-line ! The BBC posted a version of the Hitch-hiker adventure on their HHGttG website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

Heck, I'll even admit to having played Leisure Suit Larry. Now why does that remind me that I never did manage to complete Leather Goddesses of Phobos :D

Qexit
05-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh my goodness, I just found out Scott Adams is still alive and well....and writing adventure games !!!!! You can even download some from his website :dance:

http://www.msadams.com/index.htm

Direct link to his latest adventure:

http://www.msadams.com/rtpi2.htm

Signal to Noise
05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Although I love(d) text adventure games there is no future for a CG artist in that genre. ;)

Bog
05-07-2007, 07:45 AM
The current Sam and Max has a text adventure bit. I was in stitches.

Highly Recommended(tm)

mattclary
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Although I love(d) text adventure games there is no future for a CG artist in that genre. ;)

I don't know, I heard Notepad is heavily used for the CG in these things... :devil:

TripD
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I actually still own the boxed version of Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy. The box still has the lint and the lil plastic bag with the microscopic space fleet inside. Now I just need to find a working Apple 2e to play it on. hmmmm, I wonder how long those 5 1/4 floppy disks can last in a closed box?

It's dark.

Bog
05-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Look what you made me dig out...!

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/Images/treasure.jpg

Qexit
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Look what you made me dig out...!

I have the sequel to that lot, i.e. Lost Treasures of Infocom II, on 3.5" floppies for the PC. I never was able to track down the first set. The really difficult one to locate is Leather Goddesses as it was never in the compilation sets :thumbsdow the other game I wanted to find was 'Companions of Xanth' ...dashes back over to eBay to have another look :D

jin choung
05-16-2007, 12:19 AM
hee hee! love them! i have a "it is dark, you are likely to get eaten by a grue" tshirt!

man, there's got to be a way to get text into modern games.

the DESCRIPTIONS and the mindscape that the descriptions set up is UNPARALLELLED, no matter how great the graphics or animation.

nowadays, they call it IF (interactive fiction) and people still make them and have festivals and stuff. also, the tools to MAKE YOUR OWN are freely available and pretty easy to use and get into.... i remember when i had a primitive version of such tools on like 3 floppies.... forgot what it was called.

not as enamored with the parser and text commands... never thought that added much. but the descriptions....

jin

p.s. i think i initially really dug screen writing so much because the INT. HOUSE -- DAY reminded me of the status line in text adventures!