PDA

View Full Version : LW9.2 all kinds of problems on mac

Nor1975
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I have pc at home and mac for work and the the pc version works pretty good

Mac version is very buggy
1. When rendering it says frame will take 2859 hours to render when it takes 2 min works on pc
2.If u use the resolution multiplier under camera it does nothing works under globals same problem on pc
3. When i try to save all files are named Lightwave 9.2 and goes to the Newtek folder and cannot be changed works correctly under pc
4. Complex scenes takes 4-5 times longer to load crashes more often moving things around in layout u get delay even after using old ogl modes

Want to use the new render modes but 2 many problems going back to 9.0

Many of these errors show up as soon as u render something did nobody bother to check?

Chilton
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I'm sorry you're having such problems with 9.2!

I have pc at home and mac for work and the the pc version works pretty good

Mac version is very buggy
1. When rendering it says frame will take 2859 hours to render when it takes 2 min works on pc
That sounds like a bug.

2.If u use the resolution multiplier under camera it does nothing works under globals same problem on pc

I don't personally have enough experience with res multiplier on either platform to help on this one, but I suspect someone from our tech support, most of our users, or another engineer would. So I'll defer this to better minds.

3. When i try to save all files are named Lightwave 9.2 and goes to the Newtek folder and cannot be changed works correctly under pc
That definitely sounds like a bug, but I have never seen that. Can you post a screenshot of it?

4. Complex scenes takes 4-5 times longer to load crashes more often moving things around in layout u get delay even after using old ogl modes

Is this on PPC or Intel hardware?

Many of these errors show up as soon as u render something did nobody bother to check?
We've had a fairly extensive open beta period for LightWave 9.2, and I don't recall seeing any of these bugs (in the release candidate builds). The progress bar bug seems to have cropped back up though, and we're looking into that one. If you have v9 though, you should join the open beta. The Universal Binary for LightWave is there, and that's where a bulk of our active debugging effort is right now.

Also, if you post your Mac's specs, that might give us some hints.

Thanks,
-Chilton

Nor1975
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
I have a PPC 1.8 2gig ram 6force 5200 64meg card

Renderstat window

Res mult does not change

When saving will save as

Lightwave displays if changed goes back to this

Scazzino
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Res mult does not change

Yes that's a bug, the width & height don't update. It's a problem with the render globals panel only (which is why it probably wasn't noticed). The Camera panel is fine which is probably where most people set the resolution.

Yamba
05-08-2007, 04:11 AM
[QUOTE 1. When rendering it says frame will take 2859 hours to render when it takes 2 min works on pc/QUOTE]

This has been noted in other threads and hopefully will be acted upon. Nothing to do but ignore it at this stage

Yamba

kfinla
05-08-2007, 06:01 AM
The UB is still in beta, and a 9.2.1? maintenance patch is planned to come out shortly i believe. These issues shouldn't remain long as long as their reported.

MLynch
05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
The UB is still in beta, and a 9.2.1? maintenance patch is planned to come out shortly i believe. These issues shouldn't remain long as long as their reported.

That's very good to hear. The whacky render time thing is really annoying!

jakef23
05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Yes that's a bug, the width & height don't update. It's a problem with the render globals panel only (which is why it probably wasn't noticed). The Camera panel is fine which is probably where most people set the resolution.

It seems the numbers do not change in the Global panel but scenes are rendered at the chosen multiple. The numbers do update at the completion of the render or if render is aborted.

eross
05-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

I'm running LW 9.2 on mac (MacBook Pro 2.33 / 2Go), and I'm experiencing similar problems than Nor1975... (tests made with a 1.000.000 poly model)

All comparaisons made between LW 9.2 Mac and LW 9.2 Win under Bootcamp on the same machine
1/ This model takes much longer to load under mac than under Win
2/ Switching views from single to quad and vice versa takes much longer under LW mac. The delay before the desired view appears ia about 6 to 7 sec, while taking 2-3 sec under win.
3/ When requested (with the entire model loaded), the statistics panel takes ages to load and appear under mac (the little mac "waiting wheel" turning for approx. 6-7 sec again), while appearing almost instantly under win. Switching from poly to pont statistics shows a similar delay/
4/ I'm also experiencing a rather strange (and anoying) delay (aprox. 10 sec or more), when pasting copied elements (2000 polys) from a layer to another. The same operation does not shows any delay under win.
5/ Even Stranger on mac : double-clicking on a model file opens LW Modeler, but loading fails with a message "Error reading ths model". The mesh has to be loaded from the load menu of the modeler after the modeler has been launched.

... I suppose all these is not the end of the world and will be corrected soon. Nevertheless, great effort from tyhe Newtek team for delivering a Universal Binary version of LW so rapidly.

Cheers
eRoss

Activator
05-16-2007, 10:19 AM
I just posted in the "9.2: Really Unsatble [sic] So Far" thread that I'm not having any instability problems! I've spent 1/2 a day putting 9.2 (non-UB) through it's paces, and it's been 100 percent solid.

OK. The render time thing is actually happening to me as well, but it only seems to be when using the "Classic" camera. If I switch to the "Perspective" cam, the render times are correct. And yes, the multiplier doesn't work in the Render Globals window. And I can't seem to drag-n-drop a model onto the Modeler dock icon and have it open. None of these are a deal killer though.

eross- Either you're running the NON-UB version of 9.2 and don't know it, or you SHOULD be posting your findings in the Universal Beta section of the forums. The 9.2 UB/non-UB thing is getting very confusing... the UB version is going to have VERY different issues that may not affect the non-UB version!

eross
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Activator : I'm running both versions PPC and UB on the same machine. Problems descripted on my post are EXACTLY the same for both versions.

Chilton
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Eross,

If that's the case, please post your problems in the UB section so we can discuss it in greater detail.

-Chilton

eross
05-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Eross,

If that's the case, please post your problems in the UB section so we can discuss it in greater detail.

-Chilton

Ok Clinton, I'll do. Should I write again in the UB section what I posted above in this thread ?..

Cheers
eRoss

Chilton
05-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Go to the UB forum and post more details (specifics) about the problem.

-Chilton