PDA

View Full Version : LW v9.0 and v9.2 sharing configs?

MLynch
05-04-2007, 04:07 AM
OK, I finally installed v9.2, installed FPrime 3.01 and so on. I quickly noticed that the custom menus I had set up in v9.0 were in 9.2. My recent files from v9.0 were showing up in the Recent Files menu under v9.2. And when i went into v9.0 and tried to use Fprime I was asked to enter my lisence code for 3.01. ...Which I had already done for v9.2.

How can I set up each so that they aren't "sharing"?

gatz
05-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Edit your cmdLine files for Modeler and Layout and point to unique preference files. Right after the entry to disable the hub enter...

-c"volume:user:Applications:LightWave 3D 92:programs:Preferences"

MLynch
05-04-2007, 06:35 AM
When I open the cmdline files they're blank... shouldn't there be code present?

colkai
05-04-2007, 07:16 AM
They should be 'lnk' menu / desktop shortcuts, not command line files.

MLynch
05-04-2007, 07:16 AM
What's the difference?

colkai
05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
A command line file isn't really a shortcut, granted, you can execute a shortcut action on the command line, but on the command line of course ,there is no such thing as a 'startin' line so the program has a pointer to any other files it may require, such as dll's. Or at least, that is my understanding of teh 'start in' part of a shortcut.

I have a sub-dir with all my shortcuts in which I can just copy to any new installation. Once set, you can forget them and always know you're going where you need to for each version of LW. :)

Scazzino
05-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Actually, on the Mac they are cmdLine files...

The contents should look like this:

-0 -c"Mac_HD:Applications:LightWave [920]:Configs"

The -0 disables the hub (leave that out if you want to use the hub)
Then the -c redirects the configs to wherever you want to keep them. Substitute the full path to whatever folder on your Mac that you want to keep them in. I keep mine in a separate Configs folder inside the LightWave folder for each version...

Here's some additional information about using the Mac config files (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html) & cmdLine files (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/cmdline_files.html). (It was written for LW8 so there may be some minor differences for LW9.2 but the concepts are all the same)

Hope it helps! :beerchug:

colkai
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Ahh, there you are, my apologies. :)

Scazzino
05-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Ahh, there you are, my apologies. :)

No problem! No apologies needed! :beerchug:

This is one area that's just implemented a little differently on the Mac than on Windows due to differences in the underlying OS.

MLynch
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Excellent! Thanks guys. :beerchug:

This cleared up my issue, and broadened my understanding of cmndline files. :thumbsup: