PDA

View Full Version : Some Things Are Best Kept in Plain Sight...

CreatvGnius
05-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I was a bit jolted to discover that that clean, yet feature-laden SpeedEDIT GUI doesn't have an ADD FILES button right on its surface.

I suspect that inclusion of such a button would make for a smoother "first-impression" experience for SpeedEDIT newbies.

(Now if it's already there, would someone kindly point it out to me?)
Thanks,
-PeterG

SBowie
05-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Depending on what apps you've used before, an "Add Files" button can mean several things. Do you mean a button to "add this file (or (files) to the project", or to "add this file (or files) to a Library associated with this project"?

SE doesn't have a Library, as you likely know - that's a whole different discussion (on had many times previously); so I'm assuming the former.

In that case, it's true there is no button to click to Add selected files in the Filebin to the project I want to mention though - just in case you hadn't noticed - that there are some very convenient methods that accomplish the same thing.

Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.

This does not negate your 'plain sight' point, Peter - just filling in the gaps for you, as I wasn't absolutely sure of your meaning.

billmi
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I think also, something many people used to other workflows might not realize initially, is that AddMedia is a window - not a requester. You don't need to open it every time you want to add media - you can open it and leave it open while you work (you could alternatively use a filebin view in your main window if you don't have the desktop real-estate.)

Either way, with the Filebin or AddMedia window, as Steve said, it's just a double click to bring the clip into your project - or you can drag and drop place it.

Attached is my typical window layout for most projects. I have the Add Media window in the lower right.

SBowie
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
To keep this going - another cool thing about Add Media is that you can have as many open as you wish, each set independently to a different path.

CreatvGnius
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Depending on what apps you've used before, an "Add Files" button can mean several things. Do you mean a button to "add this file (or (files) to the project",

Yeah, Steve, exactly what I meant, only I suppose I should have called it "Add Media". I just thought it would be less spooky for newbies, to simply have such a button, right there on the skin of the interface, rather than having to scurry around for it (in the 2nd menu from the left, which I think is just a tad bit bizarre).

...it's true there is no button to click to Add selected files in the Filebin to the project I want to mention though - just in case you hadn't noticed - that there are some very convenient methods that accomplish the same thing.

Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.

This does not negate your 'plain sight' point, Peter - just filling in the gaps for you, as I wasn't absolutely sure of your meaning.

Ya 'done good, Steve -- ya' 'done *good* -- and thanks, I was posting in response to really diving into SpeedEDIT only for the 2nd time ever. I had been VTEditing for quite a good number of months, now, and was a bit chagrined over where one had to go to first initiate an ADD MEDIA action.
-PeterG :)

CreatvGnius
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
To keep this going - another cool thing about Add Media is that you can have as many open as you wish, each set independently to a different path.

Which is cool, indeed.
-PeterG:agree:

SBowie
05-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I just thought it would be less spooky for newbies, to simply have such a button, right there on the skin of the interface, rather than having to scurry around for it (in the 2nd menu from the left, which I think is just a tad bit bizarre).Ya mean like this one, from the current VT-Edit interface? Can't say I disagree...

CreatvGnius
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
...Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.

Man, Steve, you'd have to be here, to get a good chuckle out of my having gone to the Google Searchbar to enter: < define: aulifier > LOL! After the result turned up the equivalent of "did you mean amplifier" -- I figured out your speedy typing was with the intent on spelling "qualifier".
-PeterG

SBowie
05-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Sheesh - I though everyone new the "aulifier" key was right beside the "Any" key.

CreatvGnius
05-05-2007, 08:05 AM
the keyboard shortcut to grab stills is crtl shift m

Hi. In keeping with my premise that some things are just better off if they're in "plain sight", I propose that NewTek place that all-important "Grab Still" command (with its shortcut ("CTRL Shift M") printed along side it -- inside the context menu that appears when one right-clicks on a clip.

But be sure to apply an additional twist:
Henceforth, rename Grab Still to "Make Still", so the CTRL+Shift+M keyboard combo is more easily remembered (but then, it'll be listed in the context menu, right?)

Or conversely, if they'd like to maintain the "Grab Still" nomenclature, employ the use of CTRL+Shift+G keyboard command instead of "...+M".

-PeterG

CreatvGnius
05-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I think also, something many people ...might not realize initially... that AddMedia is a window - not a requester. You don't need to open it every time you want to add media - you can open it and leave it open while you work (you could alternatively use a filebin view in your main window if you don't have the desktop real-estate.)...

That's good stuff, there, Bill.
-PeterG

Danic101
05-05-2007, 09:31 PM
NewTek has a Superior,workflow they should not bow to others interface conventions.

John Perkins
05-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Not to nitpick, but 50% of the screen is a filebin the first time you run it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

SBowie
05-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Fair enough, John - if the point is 'in plain sight', it doesn't get much more newbie friendly than 'drag the thumbnail' ... though I really wouldn't mind a "+ Media " button. Then again, you could do that, and then Grab Still, and then .... it could soon become cluttered.

CreatvGnius
05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
NewTek has a Superior,workflow they should not bow to others interface conventions.

I certainly,a concur, Dan. In fact -- I'm not sure that anything anyone has said in this thread is in disagreement with your expressed sentiment above.

The suggestion to place an "Add Media" button on the outside of the SpeedEDIT interface convention. See Steve Bowie's post from Saturday, May 4 2007, in this very same thread. :beerchug:

And John P.? You weren't nik-pickin' at all!
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
05-06-2007, 12:42 PM

I certainly, a concur, Dan. In fact -- there doesn't appear to be any ideas expressed by anyone in this thread that's counter to your expressed sentiment above.

The suggestion to place an "Add Media" button on the outside of the SpeedEDIT main window is indeed a NewTek interface convention, as seen in SpeedEDIT's predecessor. See Steve Bowie's post from 05 - 04 - 2007, at 1:22 PM, in this very same thread. :beerchug:

As for *you* John Perkins -- you weren't nik-pickin' at all
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
05-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Fair enough, John - if the point is 'in plain sight', it doesn't get much more newbie friendly than 'drag the thumbnail' ... though I really wouldn't mind a "+ Media " button. Then again, you could do that, and then Grab Still, and then .... it could soon become cluttered.

OK, Steve, but remember, the Grab Still "Shift+G" context menu proposal was in plain sight only after right-clicking on a clip, hence, would not clutter up the GUI per se. :)

Now, the very first time I opened SE, John -- was for the purpose of only "looking around" to see how it was an improvement over VTEdit's interface. There, I had no difficulty loading a media file.

Subsequently, when openning SpeedEDIT another time, I was really in a tizzy, looking for "Add Media", in "Files" menu on the far left, and felt just a bit steamed that it wasn't there.

So, I'm preferring it be right on the GUI, in the upper left corner -- and not necessarily as big in size as the ADD MEDIA button in VTEdit, but certainly right out in the open!
-PeterG :I_Love_Ne

Bobt
05-08-2007, 04:57 AM
But currently (not done this) isnt there a problem with selecting just the image range you want? I have 500 images rendered. I only want to bring in images from 200 to 300 cause thats all I want to work with and wait for impoorting.
How is that dont in SE now? From what I read this was an issue and is childs play in a windows file open box.

CreatvGnius
05-08-2007, 07:02 AM
But [with SpeedEDIT, isn't there currently...a problem with selecting just the image range you want? [Say] I have 500 images rendered. I only want to bring in images from 200 to 300 'cause that's all I want to work with and wait for [importing].
How is that [done] in SE now? From what I read this was an issue [but it's child's] play in a windows file open box.

In Windows, one can actually choose the range between image #200 and #300, then copy or move them all with ease? would have imagined the window couldn't be made large enough to accommodate simultaneous viewing of all those files, so one could make that "range selection" quickly, and with little effort. :stumped:

So, Bob (or anyone else) -- how does Windows XP permit the selection of a huge range of image files to be copied/move elsewhere, with *ease*, pray tell?
-PeterG

billmi
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
So, Bob (or anyone else) -- how does Windows XP permit the selection of a huge range of image files to be copied/move elsewhere, with *ease*, pray tell?
-PeterG

They don't have to all be visible in the window at the same time. Simply select the file at the start of the range by clicking on it, then scroll to find the file at the end of the range and click on that file while holding down the Shift key. This selects all files within the range with ease. Alternatively, if you want to multiple select individual files without the range between them, you can hold down the control key.

SpeedEdit's Add Media window and Filebin support this same functionality, and allow ranges of files to be brought into a project with the same multiple file selection capability.

billmi
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
But currently (not done this) isnt there a problem with selecting just the image range you want?

Not in my opinion.

I have 500 images rendered. I only want to bring in images from 200 to 300 cause thats all I want to work with and wait for impoorting.
How is that dont in SE now? From what I read this was an issue and is childs play in a windows file open box.

Assuming the frames are .tga format, just drag the first frame of the animation from the Filebin or Add Media window into the project, and then set its inpoint to the 200th frame and output to the 300th frame.

If any frames are missing in that range (say 250 to 275) aren't rendered yet, they will play as black, but play properly the next time the project is opened after they have been rendered.

CreatvGnius
05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Not in my opinion.

Assuming the frames are .tga format, just drag the first frame of the animation from the Filebin or Add Media window into the project, and then set its inpoint to the 200th frame and output to the 300th frame.

If any frames are missing in that range (say 250 to 275) aren't rendered yet, they will play as black, but play properly the next time the project is opened after they have been rendered.

Bill, that's really good stuff. I'm new to SpeedEDIT, having been on VT[4] for a bit. I'll find out whether that tip holds up there in VTEdit as well.

As for the assist you've provided relative to Windows XP file selection -- both sequential and selective, Thanks! It's tremendously appreciated. I had performed both actions in times past, but hadn't made the SHIFT+ <select file, select file> variant of the "multiple file selection shortcut" in Windows a habit, and hence forgot it exists! Good lookin' out.
;)
-PeterG

Bobt
05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
>If any frames are missing in that range (say 250 to 275) aren't rendered
>yet, they will play as black, but play properly the next time the project is
>opened after they have been rendered.

I know you can do this but doesnt the render kick in and slow everything down? I dont want it to render 500 frames just from frame 200 to 300.
Or is it smart enough to only background render the 100 frames.
(not like I am doing this tommorow or anything but I am curious)
It just seems like I am taking in more stuff than I need. With the click and shift click you pick only the frames you need.

Bob

billmi
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
>If any frames are missing in that range (say 250 to 275) aren't rendered
>yet, they will play as black, but play properly the next time the project is
>opened after they have been rendered.

I know you can do this but doesnt the render kick in and slow everything down? I dont want it to render 500 frames just from frame 200 to 300.
Or is it smart enough to only background render the 100 frames.
(not like I am doing this tommorow or anything but I am curious)
It just seems like I am taking in more stuff than I need. With the click and shift click you pick only the frames you need.

I suppose whether anything renders at all depends on where you have your render prefs. My system plays tga animations OK without rendering.

I suppose it might start background rendering the unwanted areas if it has to, up until you set those in and out points, and then over-write those cache files when it starts rendering the part you select, but once you've trimmed it, there won't be any extra rendering. Same holds true for a long video clip. If you put 1/2 hour clip in your project and set the in and out points to a duration of 1 minute, the system isn't going to render the whole 1/2 hour (assuming you need to render) it is just going to render the portion that is part of the project.

Clips on the timeline aren't really taking more than you need. When you put something in the project you don't put the data (i.e. it's not loading all those frames into anything) you're just creating a description of where Speed Edit will find them on the hard drive when it goes to play them back.

IMHO, the thing lacking in importing series images is the simple ability to turn that feature on or off for any given filetype.

SCS5
06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Back to the Interface buttons issue. Do any of the Speed Razor users out there remember how easy it was to TOTALLY customize the button layout? That's how Newtek should implement the the options for buttons. Want to add an Add Media button? Go to the Customize Buttons page and add it. Want fewer buttons? Delete what you never use. My interface in Speed Razor was just as fast as SpeedEdit because of this totally customizable interface. Not to mention having all the compositing and effects features built in so I didn't have to use 2 or 3 apps to do a finished spot with effects, compositing, Etc.!! S.R was FAST!. Even with the renders I could do more with it faster than with S.E with After Effects, & Fusion combo. Unfortunately Newtek doesn't support it anymore:(

CreatvGnius
06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Back to the Interface buttons issue. Do any of the Speed Razor users out there remember how easy it was to TOTALLY customize the button layout? That's how Newtek should implement the the options for buttons. Want to add an Add Media button? Go to the Customize Buttons page and add it. Want fewer buttons? Delete what you never use. My interface in Speed Razor was just as fast as SpeedEdit because of this totally customizable interface. Not to mention having all the compositing and effects features built in so I didn't have to use 2 or 3 apps to do a finished spot with effects, compositing, Etc.!! S.R was FAST!. Even with the renders I could do more with it faster than with S.E with After Effects, & Fusion combo. Unfortunately Newtek doesn't support it anymore:(

Well, SCS5 -- that's probably because, among other things, nSync, the creators of SpeedRazor, are no longer in business, but you knew that, no?

I really do appreciate the observation you've made, relative to the value of having SpeedEDIT designed with a customized button scenario. Truthfully, that's a feature I like about Sony Vegas (I *loathe* Vegas' miserly slow rendering times, however). Sony has "toolbar buttons" that are customizable, in terms of your being able select the ones you want, and place them in the toolbar area in the order you want them. How cool is that?
:hey:

SCS5
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, SCS5 -- that's probably because, among other things, nSync, the creators of SpeedRazor, are no longer in business, but you knew that, no?

That would be a YES. :D

But, it was fast, and very configurable. I'd just like to see Newtek go in that same "configure it your way" direction for both VT5 and SE. It would be nice!............And FAST!!!:thumbsup:

Danic101
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Using Photoshop and Notepad you can already change the interface. Not super easy but doable.

SCS5
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Using Photoshop and Notepad you can already change the interface. Not super easy but doable.

Key words here "NOT SUPER EASY":thumbsdow