PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Wide Area Video

GaryG
05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
We have a client interested in broadcasting, wirelessly, quality video to 10 50" plasma screens. They are distributed randomly around a 6 acre area.

Because we have done so much web streaming, my first thought was to do a wlan and do it as IP video.

But I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has any interesting ideas. Could be analog or digital, could involve renting equipment, getting a temporary broadcast license, whatever. Only thing it can't involve is wires. :)

Any ideas?

Jim Brown
05-05-2007, 04:22 AM
I was quite excited about this possibility when Apple announced Apple TV a few months ago and ordered a unit on the spot. Quite exciting to be able to supply HD quality (720p) over wireless IP.

Here is what I have learned. The unit works as advertised. I have been able to get HD to 2000ft just fine from an Apple computer through iTunes. I have been able to play video during the connection and also download to the unit's internal hard drive and subsequently play it. Now if there was just away to play a live stream. You can't do that .....today. I encountered a number of folks at NAB who were working on that. Seems it uses Apple's H.264 encoding and one would have to encode real time to that.

As to how many you could simoultaneously connect, that may be constrained by iTunes, but I have had two. That was all the boxes I had available.

My goal was to get projector connectivity withou stringing RGBHV cable to them. We sometimes do that 400-500 feet away and it is a real pain. I can do that for prerecorded content today, but not real time. I also worry about the digital delay time. Hard to judge that with what is out there today.

Sorry for the rambling, but I do believe this technology will be readily available within the next year. Apple has started it and at $300 it is an awesome unit.

Jim

PIZAZZ
05-05-2007, 11:57 AM
simple.

use the wireless video solutions from Avocent. It will easily do what you ask.

GaryG
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think we're going to try to get with Production Radio Rental in NY for this gig.