PDA

View Full Version : InfoSaver - If you're not using it, you should be!

Matt
05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I downloaded this ages ago but never found time to look at it properly. How awesome is this plugin!!!

http://virginpi.net/files.aspx

Features:

Generates HTML history of F9 render tests
Full scene statistics
Thumbnail generation (including file format and size)
Editable CSS file for HTML file
Batch program to overlay data onto your render

Really handy!

iconoclasty
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Any noticeable drain on resources?

Andyjaggy
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Looks cool. I'll have to check it out.

Matt
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Any noticeable drain on resources?

None at all, it only kicks into action after the frame finishes rendering.

GregMalick
05-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Man that is sweet. Love the Button one.

LAV
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
installed and activated... mmhmm... the time of my messed projects is ended :)

sandfish
05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Is there something similar to this for Fprime?

Matt
05-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Not that I know of, plus there is no SDK for FPrime (available) so I doubt there will ever be one. Have to wait until Steve sorts it.

Otterman
05-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Darn it, pc only-curse my mac ways!

Matt
05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to say it uses .NET, so PC only I'm afraid!

Cageman
05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
This is one of those gems that makes LW so fun to work with.

A great find... it came up on Flay 29-April, so where did you download it if you had it ages ago? :)

Andyjaggy
05-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I sneer at you mac users :D

qwertykd
05-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I only wish it would record the GI settings used...Great tool otherwise!

toby
05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
I sneer at you mac users :D
Yes you and so many others. Isn't it enough that we have fewer toys to play with? :confused:

Matt
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
This is one of those gems that makes LW so fun to work with.

A great find... it came up on Flay 29-April, so where did you download it if you had it ages ago? :)

Well, maybe not AGES ago, but I think I went to the site because of the 'LW3D Icon Config' program, and saw it there, before Flay listed it.

lardbros
05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, maybe not AGES ago, but I think I went to the site because of the 'LW3D Icon Config' program, and saw it there, before Flay listed it.

I downloaded this after looking at the icon config thing too. Weird thing is that i cant get the icons to work at all?? I used the program after installing and just get an error, what am i doing wrong?

Matt
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
What does the error say?

Wopmay
05-09-2007, 05:40 AM
"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing"

Speaking of Mac users, this just about sums it up, Mr. Sneer face. ;-)

Hmmm. All this thing is doing is saving a bitmapped file and writing a text document. What's so precious about this that makes it "PC Only?" Looks cool but it sort of makes you wonder what the author is thinking. Or, uh, perhaps it's a problem of not thinking?

mattclary
05-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Speaking of Mac users, this just about sums it up, Mr. Sneer face. ;-)

Hmmm. All this thing is doing is saving a bitmapped file and writing a text document. What's so precious about this that makes it "PC Only?" Looks cool but it sort of makes you wonder what the author is thinking. Or, uh, perhaps it's a problem of not thinking?

Maybe he doesn't own a Mac and he was using the tools available to him (.Net). If it sounds so simple, I suggest you get to crackin on writing a similar utility for the Mac! ;)

edit: Neverko hit the nail on the head. Coders don't intentionally exclude Macs because some stuff is just "so precious" it should only be for PCs. A lot of plugin coders just write what they need then share it out of the kindness of their heart or charge a small fee to try to make a little money off their efforts.

mattclary
05-09-2007, 05:53 AM
I hate to turn this into a Mac vs. PC thread, but something just occured to me. A lot of Mac users use Macs for their "simplicity". I wonder if there are less plugins written for the Mac due to the fact that Macs attract less people with coding skills?

Captain Obvious
05-09-2007, 06:32 AM
*ahem*

There's always the Mono project...

lardbros
05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
What does the error say?

LwIcons.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

What could cause this error? My PC is relatively new and a clean install! If anyone can help that would be great!

DuneBoy
05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi, this is the Mac hating developer here, maybe I can straighten things out.

Why is their no Mac version?
I do in fact have a Mac, it's a beige G3 that was found in someone's trash. It has no keyboard or mouse but it does boot up OSX. I just haven't had the spare money to drop on a keyboard and mouse that will work on only one of my computers (it's ADB), a computer of unknown reliability. On the original thread for the plugin (back on the beta forums), I had offered to send the code to any Mac people who wanted to port it, it does use some win32 functions for memory and file handling so the Mac equivalents would need to be used. The offer still stands, and I'll put a note on the download page as well.

Why is .NET being used?
The plugin is straight plain old c, compiled with gcc for 32 bit and VS Express for 64 bit. But the utility program for doing text overlays is a .NET app because doing that type of text overlaying with just the win32 api would be like writing a scene file from scratch with notepad. It's torturous.

I looked at mono and really hope they can provide a full implementation of .NET but last time I looked it was still missing some of the methods that I needed.

To lardbros, I looked up the error you're having and it looks like you just need to install the .NET framework v1.1 or higher. Here's the link for v2.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Version 3 exists also, but it's only for XP sp2 and higher, the program should work in any framework 1.1 or higher but I haven't tested on 3 yet.

Matt
05-09-2007, 03:36 PM
LwIcons.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

What could cause this error? My PC is relatively new and a clean install! If anyone can help that would be great!

I think Duneboy is right, try that.

Wopmay
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
*ahem*

There's always the Mono project...

I sure appreciate all you folks pointing out the obvious. Since I am so ignorant, being a Mac user and all, perhaps you could point out what the Mono project is? Is that something like a five fingered friday night date?

DuneBoy
05-09-2007, 07:01 PM
The Mono project (www.mono-project.com) is a multi-platform implementation of Microsoft's .NET framework. It's heresy to say it, but the framework is analogous to Java's Virtual Machine.

Wopmay
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Did it occur to you that some people simply have no interest in Macs and software for that platform? You know, like some Mac users have no interest in Windows based matters.

Simply, there probably isn't a Mac version because it did not matter to the developer. This is probably a project started out of personal needs that just happened to be passed on to the general public, because the developer is a kind, sharing individual.

Yea!

The inevitable snide comment from Mr. Neverko! You never fail to take the bait, dude! You're the best entertainment on this forum.

Who appointed you hall monitor, anyway?

Some people don't care about Macs and other people don't care about Windows? The developer didn't write a Mac version because he didn't want to? Should I write all this down? Duh.

Hey, I'm just having some fun with you.

I assume if you can run all over the forum trying to discipline everybody else -- if you can dish it out, in other words -- you can also take it. Please advise.

As to the Mac vs PC, I gave up that pointless discussion decades ago. I drive a Jag. Somebody else drives a Mercedes. Who cares? I have owned as many Windows boxes as Macs. I simply drive a Mac right now.

I retract any implied aspersions on the kind and benevolent developer even if he wasn't so kind to invite me and some of my best friends to his party.

Perhaps my question, and the LW/Mac predicament at hand is more of a predicament for our friends at Newtek than the above mentioned kind and benevolent soul, who we all, even I, do appreciate.

Personally, I haven't the time or inclination to delve into the intricacies of plugin writing myself so I'm awfully grateful that I have other people who do and can, and some of them are willing to share. But I'm wondering if the developers of our favorite 3D app might consider it a benefit to move toward a more agnostic api considering the growing percentage of their business that is Mac based.

Time and time again, I have been frustrated by the division in the community over things that seem, well, kind of pointless. My ill-worded question was not a complaint about the maker of this all-too-wonderful plugin but more of a wonderment that it is so darned difficult to get a bit-mapped image and a text document out of a supposedly cross-platform program that it apparently requires a deep understanding of c++ or some proprietary Windows-only (or Mac-only for that matter) software to accomplish it. After all, LightWave does boast a scripting language, does it not? It is sold as a cross-platform solution, is it not?

Seems to me that in 2007, a smart developer like Newtek might endeavor to make the fruits of it's own scripting language equally accessible to all of its customers. The PC vs Mac thing is so eighties. In most modern programs it doesn't even come up any more and it hasn't for many, many years. Maybe Newtek is considering some improvements in this area. Maybe not. I'm aware that it's a non-trivial task but so is everything.

To those on this thread who suggest that I go write my own plugin, I point out that Newtek is in the software programming business. I am not. Why should I have to?

(British translation: Newtek are in the software programming business.)

To clarify, we all like and appreciate the ability to customize and write plugins for LightWave (er, well, have other people write plugins for us). It's just a little annoying sometimes when you're told you've got to crack open your college programming book to gain some basic functionality (like a render history) that's missing from the program and it's plainly obvious that it's missing from the program to even the most dim-witted noob. Somebody like me, for example.

Insult added to injury: it's a frigging bitmap and a text file. Didn't Macs and PCs and everybody else in the world get this sorted out like twenty-five years ago? Aspersions need not be cast upon the developer of the plugin, nor upon the poor little Mac, nor even upon Newtek for this wildly complicated problem of incompatibility. Uncle Gates, perhaps, but not Newtek.

It does seem, however, that Newtek, being a smart software programming company and all, could make some effort at mitigating the Uncle Bill problem like so many other successful companies have done.

But since LightWave originally came from a Windows-centric mentality and history, one can imagine the hurdles to accomplishing a truly cross platform LightWave might be more psychologically daunting than reality would indicate. The main point is not Mac vs PC, or which has this feature or that, or what picky Mac users want but what is smart and profitable in the twenty-first century.

Unless there's some change of philosophy or a great awakening from our great leaders, this frustration seems likely persist for some time to come -- or until history itself makes the point moot. I, for one, would prefer not to wait out history. If I was Newtek, I'd start making an effort to help, encourage and evangelize plugin and script developers to write cross-platform code because it would strengthen the whole community as opposed to the current proclivity, or at least silent complicity, to divide us.

Just a suggestion, of course. And I'm not Newtek. I can only write long-winded posts like this that veer off into the weeds off topic. Sorry. I'll probably get another reprimand from that Neverko guy.

I'd put in a feature request but some things are so fundamental, they don't even qualify as features. Sort of like requesting a feature that would prevent the cursor from jumping to the wrong field when you enter text. But then, that's another thread altogether.

In conclusion, Mr. Neverko, you're okay with me. Don't ever change.

Cheers.

-- Wopster

jaf
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
"Personally, I haven't the time or inclination to delve into the intricacies of plugin writing myself so I'm awfully grateful that I have other people who do and can, and some of them are willing to share. But I'm wondering if the developers of our favorite 3D app might consider it a benefit to move toward a more agnostic api considering the growing percentage of their business that is Mac based."

Gee, I wish I had "my own people!"

Matt
05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Guys, keep on topic ...

toby
05-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Wopmay - they may have more gadgets, but we have something they don't - Chilton!

Wopmay
05-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Yea, Chilton!

Wopmay
05-10-2007, 12:42 AM
No, just your stupid posts, but in that vain, I'll never be able to compete with you.

neverko stupid posts: 1,958
wopmay stupid posts: 68

You win!

Congratulations.

Lightwolf
05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
But since LightWave originally came from a Windows-centric mentality and history...
Erm... beeeeep, it doesn't. :D

And just to add to it: Just writing text on a bitmap in a cross platform manner ain't as easy as it sounds (If you make an effort you can use some cross platform open source tools... or maybe openGL for that task).
And you could probably even do it within the LW SDK... but as a developer you spend time that if you design with cross platform compatibility in mind.

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
05-10-2007, 02:38 AM
But since LightWave originally came from a Windows-centric mentality and history,

Wops... that isn't true... It orginated on the Amiga-platform, which is has more in common with MacOS than Windows, but at that time in history few people had more than 2MB of ram (on the Amiga that is).

sammael
05-10-2007, 04:01 AM
It must be something with the planets today, everyone seens edgy... including me...

DiedonD
05-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Yea!

The inevitable snide comment from Mr. Neverko! You never fail to take the bait, dude! You're the best entertainment on this forum.

Who appointed you hall monitor, anyway?

Some people don't care about Macs and other people don't care about Windows? The developer didn't write a Mac version because he didn't want to? Should I write all this down? Duh.

Hey, I'm just having some fun with you.

I assume if you can run all over the forum trying to discipline everybody else -- if you can dish it out, in other words -- you can also take it. Please advise.

As to the Mac vs PC, I gave up that pointless discussion decades ago. I drive a Jag. Somebody else drives a Mercedes. Who cares? I have owned as many Windows boxes as Macs. I simply drive a Mac right now.

I retract any implied aspersions on the kind and benevolent developer even if he wasn't so kind to invite me and some of my best friends to his party.

Perhaps my question, and the LW/Mac predicament at hand is more of a predicament for our friends at Newtek than the above mentioned kind and benevolent soul, who we all, even I, do appreciate.

Personally, I haven't the time or inclination to delve into the intricacies of plugin writing myself so I'm awfully grateful that I have other people who do and can, and some of them are willing to share. But I'm wondering if the developers of our favorite 3D app might consider it a benefit to move toward a more agnostic api considering the growing percentage of their business that is Mac based.

Time and time again, I have been frustrated by the division in the community over things that seem, well, kind of pointless. My ill-worded question was not a complaint about the maker of this all-too-wonderful plugin but more of a wonderment that it is so darned difficult to get a bit-mapped image and a text document out of a supposedly cross-platform program that it apparently requires a deep understanding of c++ or some proprietary Windows-only (or Mac-only for that matter) software to accomplish it. After all, LightWave does boast a scripting language, does it not? It is sold as a cross-platform solution, is it not?

Seems to me that in 2007, a smart developer like Newtek might endeavor to make the fruits of it's own scripting language equally accessible to all of its customers. The PC vs Mac thing is so eighties. In most modern programs it doesn't even come up any more and it hasn't for many, many years. Maybe Newtek is considering some improvements in this area. Maybe not. I'm aware that it's a non-trivial task but so is everything.

To those on this thread who suggest that I go write my own plugin, I point out that Newtek is in the software programming business. I am not. Why should I have to?

(British translation: Newtek are in the software programming business.)

To clarify, we all like and appreciate the ability to customize and write plugins for LightWave (er, well, have other people write plugins for us). It's just a little annoying sometimes when you're told you've got to crack open your college programming book to gain some basic functionality (like a render history) that's missing from the program and it's plainly obvious that it's missing from the program to even the most dim-witted noob. Somebody like me, for example.

Insult added to injury: it's a frigging bitmap and a text file. Didn't Macs and PCs and everybody else in the world get this sorted out like twenty-five years ago? Aspersions need not be cast upon the developer of the plugin, nor upon the poor little Mac, nor even upon Newtek for this wildly complicated problem of incompatibility. Uncle Gates, perhaps, but not Newtek.

It does seem, however, that Newtek, being a smart software programming company and all, could make some effort at mitigating the Uncle Bill problem like so many other successful companies have done.

But since LightWave originally came from a Windows-centric mentality and history, one can imagine the hurdles to accomplishing a truly cross platform LightWave might be more psychologically daunting than reality would indicate. The main point is not Mac vs PC, or which has this feature or that, or what picky Mac users want but what is smart and profitable in the twenty-first century.

Unless there's some change of philosophy or a great awakening from our great leaders, this frustration seems likely persist for some time to come -- or until history itself makes the point moot. I, for one, would prefer not to wait out history. If I was Newtek, I'd start making an effort to help, encourage and evangelize plugin and script developers to write cross-platform code because it would strengthen the whole community as opposed to the current proclivity, or at least silent complicity, to divide us.

Just a suggestion, of course. And I'm not Newtek. I can only write long-winded posts like this that veer off into the weeds off topic. Sorry. I'll probably get another reprimand from that Neverko guy.

I'd put in a feature request but some things are so fundamental, they don't even qualify as features. Sort of like requesting a feature that would prevent the cursor from jumping to the wrong field when you enter text. But then, that's another thread altogether.

In conclusion, Mr. Neverko, you're okay with me. Don't ever change.

Cheers.

-- Wopster

Wow. I wonder..... Who holds the record for longest reply ever on Newtek? This is probably among them. Id say somewhere around 3-6th place.

I never writte this long anymore. It usually gets multi meaningful, thus non clear, and people just get bored reading it thoroughly. Thats what I think anyway.

T-Light
05-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Ken this is soooo usefull, thanks :thumbsup:

Been thinking for ages why Newtek don't pop information into the Exif area of jpegs (Maybe it's only me that uses jpegs for tests). Ah well, terrific work, love it :)

Is it technically possible to have a text box pop up once the plugin has started where it would be possible to type notes? I ask because although the plugin saves the render info, there's loads of other areas (node settings, plugin settings, lighting info etc) which aren't saved but would be really usefull for reference.

Excellent work :thumbsup:

mattclary
05-10-2007, 07:59 AM

It IS equally accessible! The SDK works for both Mac and PC. This is not a NewTek issue. Plugins are written by third parties. If you want a new feature in Lightwave, then submit at a request to them. This isn't a Mac vs. PC thing in any other sense than someone not having a NEED for a plugin on the Mac so they did not go out of their way to WRITE said plugin for the Mac.

Well, LightWave is how many years old? If a render history was so critical, someone probably would have written one before now. I agree with you, for someone who knows how to code, this is probably not a terribly difficult task.

This strikes me as something you see and say, "Gosh, that's a good idea". If something strikes you that way, odds are it never occured to you before that you needed it, thus, not what I would call "basic functionality"

Matt
05-10-2007, 08:28 AM
FFS!

LScript IS cross platform, but .p plugs aren't. Some people develop .p's for Mac, some for PC, some for both.

It is NOT NewTeks fault if someone doesn't develop a plugin for both platforms.

People who use Macs, I'm sorry to say are FULLY AWARE that a lot of software isn't as widely supported, we had to switch from Macs to PCs to use SolidWorks because it will never be available for Mac.

Way it goes, get over it.

Kurtis
05-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Everyone, keep the thread civil and on-topic, or it will be closed.

Cageman
07-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm using InfoSaver everytime nowdays! So damn cute! :) However, I noticed that rendertimes are not included... is it a user-error on my end? If not, then I have a featurerequest:

Rendertimes... :)

DuneBoy
07-07-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm using InfoSaver everytime nowdays! So damn cute! :) However, I noticed that rendertimes are not included... is it a user-error on my end? If not, then I have a featurerequest:

Rendertimes... :)

You must be using the Image Filter version. Currently the SDK doesn't provide render times. The Render Display version, because that class of plugin gets called at the start of a frame render, can figure the render time.

In order to get the render time while still using the Image Filter version, you must apply the Setting Catcher plugin, it's a Master Handler plugin that sits in the background and tracks the Radiosity/Caustics setting changes. It also stores the time the render started so that the Image Filter can tell how long the frame took.

Matt
07-07-2007, 05:28 AM
I just read my post above some time after I posted it, I can't believe how bad it sounds, apologies all round!

:|

Cageman
07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
In order to get the render time while still using the Image Filter version, you must apply the Setting Catcher plugin, it's a Master Handler plugin that sits in the background and tracks the Radiosity/Caustics setting changes.

Ahhh... I see... :) I looked through the textfiles that are created when finishing an F9-render, and those have the rendertime, but the HTML-files does not have the rendertime. Do I have to use the Info Saver Gather to genereate HTML-files in order for the rendertime to be included?

DuneBoy
07-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Ahhh... I see... :) I looked through the textfiles that are created when finishing an F9-render, and those have the rendertime, but the HTML-files does not have the rendertime. Do I have to use the Info Saver Gather to genereate HTML-files in order for the rendertime to be included?

You could try the Gatherer, although is uses the same code function as the Info Savers it's just passed a different mode switch. But if the render times are in the text files I can't figure out why they wouldn't show up in the HTML file. All the plugin does is save out the settings to the text file then reads in the file one line at a time and copies it into the HTML file (with some formatting). The only checks it does (besides End of File) are if it's a blank line, since those determine the different groups, and it also checks for and excludes lines ending with n/a (the Image Filter version outputs Render Time: n/a when the Setting Cather isn't applied).

I took a quick look at the code and couldn't see a reason for it to not work, but next time I work on it (perhaps when PR1 is released) I'll look more closely.