PDA

View Full Version : What gaming plataform do you have/prefer?

caesar
05-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I just got a Wii, and its realy fun. So I want to know all lightwavers here, what gaming plataform do you have/prefer?

-Xbox 360
- PS3
- Wii
-Mobile (celphone, DS, psp...)
-PC/Mac
-Older gen (ps2, xbox, gamecube)

Qslugs
05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I have just about all of them, new and old except for the psp and ps3. I cant imagine wanting to buy either any time in the near future either.

Most of my time spent playing games is on the 360 these days. Evil achievement points! I'd play more on the wii but theres not much out for it right now that I want to invest time in playing. Wii sports is still the best thing going on that system. I mean that in a good way. Its a great party game. I also break out the Dreamcast for Rez every so often. The DS I mainly play when I travel.

iconoclasty
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Mac? LOL

mattclary
05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I go wherever the games I want to play take me. I bought a PS2 for Final Fantasy, XBox for KOTOR, the PC i will always have... I will buy the XBox 360 when Mass Effect becomes available.

Signal to Noise
05-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Xbox 360~ exclusive console game titles; couch.

PC Windows~ 'real' games; cutting edge tech.

...I will buy the XBox 360 when Mass Effect becomes available.

Yup, that's why I bought the 360. Mind you, ME was to suppose to have come out ages ago.

Weepul
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Mac?
Heck yeah! :rock: And none of that Boot Camp/Parallels/Crossover Mac "it's actually Windows, but the machine came from Apple" rubbish, either. :p

At least...not until I get an Intel Mac. ;)

Though I must admit to using DOSBox in order to run some of my old favorites. :D

DogBoy
05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
PC-Gaming alllll the way....

'cept when I play my PSP.

Lamont
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm in the 700+ game mark across 11+ platforms. I pick up games at random. lately it's been beat-em ups. The Red Star should be here any day now, it scored high on most sites. I would have gotten it anyways... been waiting 3 years for it.

Mark The Great
05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
For me, it's a tie between the PC and the Wii.

IgnusFast
05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
I have all of them, but I still prefer PC gaming for the most part.

Except for Burnout. :)

Qslugs
05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I go wherever the games I want to play take me. I bought a PS2 for Final Fantasy, XBox for KOTOR, the PC i will always have... I will buy the XBox 360 when Mass Effect becomes available.

But what if Mass Effect sucks? I mean it isn't out yet, I'm sure everyone here has heard some raging fanboy scream about how my console has x,y and z games, even though x,y and z have yet to see the light of day :) Anyway, something I was thinking when I read your post.

You're actually missing out on a ton of great stuff for the 360. I really wish sony and nintendo would take the whole xbox live idea that m$ gave birth to and expand upon it. You could get a 360 right now and have a great game to play every 2 weeks for the next year, just from the back catalog.

meshpig
05-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Jeez, I must be gettin' old or something?

I just do X-plane, Call of Duty 2 and a few others on Intel mac. Haven't tested Bootcamp yet.

-I'm finding it more interesting to totter around in "Unity" making stuff up for myself.

M

Roly
05-04-2007, 12:33 AM
PC here and waiting for the release of Crysis from Crytek.

mav3rick
05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
xbox360 ofcourse but i still like to play my beloved cod2 on pc cause FPS is better to control with mouse IMHO... but i saw gears is kicking butt also... i dunno :)
anyway xbox360/pc best combo round

any1 to compete me on COD2 MP fell free to PM me :)

t4d
05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
anything as long as it has nintendo on it =)

Tho I do some Final Fantasy sometimes etc

game play is everything

Whelkn
05-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Wii60 its the best combo I can think of :-)

Bog
05-04-2007, 04:09 AM
I completely avoided consoles until about two years back, at which point I promptly became doomed. Ah, well. Gives me something to do during test renders - and it's nice to get away from the PC for a couple of hours a day!

Wii Friend Code: 3199 4749 6589 2613
X360 Gamertag: Bogster74

Friend-me-do... :)

mattclary
05-04-2007, 05:38 AM
But what if Mass Effect sucks? I mean it isn't out yet, I'm sure everyone here has heard some raging fanboy scream about how my console has x,y and z games, even though x,y and z have yet to see the light of day :) Anyway, something I was thinking when I read your post.

You're actually missing out on a ton of great stuff for the 360. I really wish sony and nintendo would take the whole xbox live idea that m$ gave birth to and expand upon it. You could get a 360 right now and have a great game to play every 2 weeks for the next year, just from the back catalog.

Bioware's history is enough for me. Mass Effect will kick serious butt.

I'm married with a kid, living in a fixer-upper house, repairing computers as a side job, and studying to become A+ certified. I won't be playing any back catalogs of anything. ;) I don't even have time to play with LightWave like I used to. :(

FYI, I just got an announcement from Amazon today saying they are taking pre-orders for Mass effect, due to release some time in June. Now all of a sudden, I am seriously questioning if that's where i want to drop $400-$500. I've been wanting a new laptop and that may take precedence...

starbase1
05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
I got myself a Nintendo DS a couple of months back, but I have hardly used it at all since I bought a GP2X (http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11335845/GP2X_Handheld_Multimedia_Game_Console_On_Linux_Bas e.jpg).

Though not well known it has some great features, like taking standard batteries, (so I can take spares along), and standard SD cards. Works very nicely as a video platform, and is basically a hand held Linux box. Sound is rather poor unless you use headphones.

For games it has a host of emulators, and it's not difficult to find Roms for them on the web. I mainly use it with Sega Megadrive games... Good to see Sonic the Hedgehog again!

Nick

caesar
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Well, I totally dissapointed with the pc gaming scene now:

1- I always loved pc gaming, but Im got tired waiting months for DX10 cards (ati ones), and the wait for games are even worse....

2- Vista is totally bloated, broken, DRM crippled, it´s a shame....

Just the the cost fot upgrading it every 18 months...bah, just quit it for now

PS - is there something wrong with the percentage in the poll? I just sum all options and it reaches 170 % !!??!!

starbase1
05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
PS - is there something wrong with the percentage in the poll? I just sum all options and it reaches 170 % !!??!!

Maybe on average people have 1.7 games machines...

Andyjaggy
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm tempted to get a playstation just for guitar hero :)

CMT
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
360 baby! Counting 200+ hours in Oblivion! Plus Gears of War is the best FPS multiplayer action I've played since Halo.

And yes, Mass Effect will be great given Bioware's history (KOTOR was phenominal) and the mini reviews of ME I've read in OXM.

Between the 360 and doing 3D stuff (Conan has kept me busy for 6 weeks) I don't have any time for another console or PC games, although I do occasionally play the Wii with my daughter. Wii Sports is pretty fun though!

Panikos
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
I prefer some retro MAME games occasionally.

Signal to Noise
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm tempted to get a playstation just for guitar hero :)

You could get a 360 for GH as well, you know. And you'd be better off. ;)

starbase1
05-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I prefer some retro MAME games occasionally.

The GP2X will run them too, so now you can get a MAME handheld!
:D

cresshead
05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i select a game not a platform really...but you asked so...i selcted the mobile selction as i have a nintendo ds and a sony psp..the psp only has 1 game that being test drive which i bought last week..tis ''okay'' but takes a while to load up as to be expected on a disc based system...my ds has some nintendo advanced carts such as mario kart and f zero plus the ds game mario kart too...just got rid of kim possible on ds for exchange for the psp game above.

my fav games are AVP on atari jaguar, cybermorph, tempest 2000 and doom plus i have tower on babel on pc [retro beta]

just gave away my xbox as i coun't find a decent game for it..
i have a gamecube with thenew zelda twilight proncess but retired my TV for a year this month so won't be finishing that anytime soon!

been musing over a Wii but it only connects to a tv so will give it a miss for now...xbox360 can connect to a monitor though so if i can find a good game for it i may just get an xbox360...PS3?...too expensive i think...until they release a must have game that is!!

shrox
05-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Dreamcast! Ok, so I worked at Sega when it came out. Still for $99 it was a great machine.

Qexit
05-05-2007, 05:15 AM
I only own two games. Good old Unreal Torunament on the PC and Pirates of the Caribbean on the PSP (and that came as part of the prize package I won :) ), so I ticked both PC and PSP as there is nothing to choose between the two as far as I'm concerned. The PSP isn't really used as a games machine anyway. I use it to store a photographic catalogue of my Ray Harryhausen memorabilia collection and a variety of LW images and videos that I've made. Don't have much time for games really.

mattclary
05-05-2007, 03:00 PM

You can make more than one selection.

0scrooge0
05-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Old-gen for me, and I mean VERY old :)
Commodore 64 as a gaming platform is still unsurpassed.
Those "modern" consoles with all that ultra-realistic graphics, just don't buy me.

starbase1
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
You can run C64 games on a GP2X too!
:thumbsup:

Stooch
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
im still a pc fan. just cant get over the whole mouse thing for FP games, havent used a game controller that even comes close tot he response time and precision.

anyway, im eagerly awaiting crysis

LightWuv
05-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Xbox, PS2, PS1, PC and Mac (yes Mac - for Myth II and earlier Bungie games, way back when...).

Wuv

Bog
05-11-2007, 04:05 AM
Just for the record, I'm off to a retro-gaming festival this weekend, where the Old will be every bit as cherished (probably more so) as the new. Yay! Vectrex time! :D

sammael
05-14-2007, 11:51 PM
im still a pc fan. just cant get over the whole mouse thing for FP games, havent used a game controller that even comes close tot he response time and precision.

anyway, im eagerly awaiting crysis

You obviously have not tried nintendo wii then, the control scheme is unsurpassed, at least in cases where it has been implimented properly.

bluerider
05-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I just got a Wii, and its realy fun. So I want to know all lightwavers here, what gaming plataform do you have/prefer?

-Xbox 360
- PS3
- Wii
-Mobile (celphone, DS, psp...)
-PC/Mac
-Older gen (ps2, xbox, gamecube)

For stratigy games its PC, I am a big Total War fan.

For games consoles its PS consoles. Though i have to say, I still love the Dreamcast because it has Shenmue and Crazy Taxi.

Ninetendo is what i would call a good game for a social gathering. Even better if you've been drinking . Playing that stuff sober, you either have to very young or have unusual wiring in your brain.

Chrysolithos
05-15-2007, 08:12 AM
My first PC was a TRS80 III. B&W only and crappy graphics (Trash80). I had two versions of Defender, (one with ASCII graphics) Zork, astroids, and some sort of text adventure. Next was a Sanyo PC with a green monocrome monitor, more text adventurst and a cool dragonriding game that crashed 3/4 of the way through. The I got my Amiga 2000, so I could put a toaster in it, but I also had two games for it, Armorgeddon and a Monty Python game. Got a 4000 amiga with a Toaster/Flyer but no games, but played Doom2 on my girlfriend's Mac from dusk till dawn on more than one occasion. I got my first console, a PS1, when I saw Spyro the Dragon on it at a KB Toys. (I love Dragons) Bunch of games for that, most notibly Final Fantasy 7, Still my favorite RPG of all time. PS2 when it came out(Anything by Insomniac, Sucker Punch, or Naughty Dog.) and another when the dvd drive got too weak. Somewher around then I got my first real PC, NT4 with a Frame Factory and LightWave/Aura, Traded in the FF for the first PC Toaster, then bought a complete new Toaster and PC for VT4 with Switcher and BOB.
PC games included Halflife, Unreal, Myst sequels, F.E.A.R., Drackan, Homeworld. X-box for Halo 2, Crimson Skys, Splinter Cell, and Conker: Live and Reloaded. 360 for Halo 3, I have Graw and Kameo, but never finished them. I've put off getting Gears of War as I have some Lightwave stuff I'd like to get done first. Stiil haven't found a Wii in stock yet here in the Seattle area, but I'm in no real hurry as seen above + there are still some great titles for the PS2 out, like God of War 2, that I haven't played. I also have a Nintendo Cube I got just to play Starfox. So sad.

I used to spend most of my time playing the PS2, and I have more games for that than all the others combined, but lately when I want to kill some time, I play Conker on the x-box, Dumbots, Bridge Too Narrow map. For hours.

Zencrono
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Damit..I miss dreamcast!
One of My favorite games for dreamcast was Omikron:nomad soul. so twisted and strange but cool all at the same time,plus it had david bowie's music!
he was a main character too.

DogBoy
05-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Damit..I miss dreamcast!
One of My favorite games for dreamcast was Omikron:nomad soul. so twisted and strange but cool all at the same time,plus it had david bowie's music!
he was a main character too.

Just buy it for PC. It had better graphics.

Iain
05-18-2007, 03:01 AM
I still pine for my Spectrum 48k.
Yes, my well heeled friends had a Commodore 64 but I knew I was better off.

It took Tomb Raider on the PS to interest me in games again after that. I had all the Nintendo consoles but they just bored me.
Then Half Life came along and I haven't been able to look at another game.

Sande
05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
What limited spare time I have I mostly play with handhelds, DS, GP2X and PSP. After those comes Wii and PC/Mac. Lately I have spent way too much time with old Videopac classics (that's Magnavox Odyssey˛ for you in the US, it was released in 1978) - it was the first gaming system I ever had.

Hmmh, I guess that it is because my father exposed me to the demonic influence of videogames when I was so young, that I work in the games industry nowadays... :devil:

Lamont
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Odin Sphere came out today (yesterday actually, but most shops didn't get them till today). Worth a look.

And if anyone is looking for some Ace Combat action, AC6 is coming to the 360. There is a bundle for $150, comes with flight stick. Multiplayer dogfights :D. Hint: I'll be the one blowing you out the sky.

starbase1
05-24-2007, 01:28 AM
I still pine for my Spectrum 48k.
Yes, my well heeled friends had a Commodore 64 but I knew I was better off.

Why pine?

With the number of emulators out there, it's not difficult to play all your old favourites! ROM's are widely available with a bit of searching. About the first thing I did with my GP2X was load up the spectrum emulator. Most of my time with it is spent playing megadrive / genesis games.

Amiga, Atari, you name it - any machine over 10 years old is out there and emulated somewhere...

Nick

Iain
05-24-2007, 02:08 AM
I downloaded a few emulators a couple of years ago but it just wasn't the same without the useless rubber buttons and my Dad complaining that I didn't go outside enough.

This GP2X sounds interesting though.

ghostlight
05-24-2007, 02:28 AM
I bought the PS2 just for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I'll buy the PS3 when the next GTA comes out. Crysis looks pretty friggin' rad, though...

Before that: Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and 3DO (first console with CDs? Woa.)

starbase1
05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
I downloaded a few emulators a couple of years ago but it just wasn't the same without the useless rubber buttons and my Dad complaining that I didn't go outside enough.

This GP2X sounds interesting though.

Yeah, I'm really pleased with mine - I particularly like the way it takes normal batteries and SD cards... I bought a Nintendo DS at roughly the same time but I hardly ever use it, just too expensive to buy games. And the GP2X doubles as a very nice video player.

It really surprised me the huge difference it makes having an open system, (its Linux based), in terms of the wide variety of stuff you can get for it. More than compensates for not being up to the minute, or having a wide range of games written specifically for it.

I would like to be able to do text based stuff with it, and could stuck a USB keyboard in the back, but that rather kills the portability...

Nick

hrgiger
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I still play city of heroes on the PC from time to time. I was the latest Command and Conquer but got bored with it pretty quickly.
Besides, who has time for games when there's stuff to do in Lightwave?

starbase1
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I still play city of heroes on the PC from time to time. I was the latest Command and Conquer but got bored with it pretty quickly.

Thats why I only play games on my portable thingy! LW on a laptop on the 78 bus is not an option...

Nick

therockchurches
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrgiger

Thats why I only play games on my portable thingy! LW on a laptop on the 78 bus is not an option...

:agree: totally

Bog
05-27-2007, 06:51 AM
I would like to be able to do text based stuff with it, and could stuck a USB keyboard in the back, but that rather kills the portability...

Nick

Well you've got two (http://www.tabletkiosk.com/tkstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=165) options (http://www.activemobiles.com/usb_folding_keyboard.htm) for the low-cost end, or a sexy, high-cost (http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/) option for that.

Stooch
05-28-2007, 01:43 PM
You obviously have not tried nintendo wii then, the control scheme is unsurpassed, at least in cases where it has been implimented properly.

yes i have. again, for first person games there is nothing like a mouse. I am absolutely certain that i would mop the floor with anyone who tries to come up against my mouse in an FPS game. Wii included, which i played enough of to know its limitations.

of course in my prime i could wipe the floor with the vast majority of mouse users as well heh :)