PDA

View Full Version : First character: Bones/Weights?

towfish
05-03-2007, 07:27 AM
I've created a simple character and added the bones (see attached). I'm wondering if I'm headed in the right direction. I've activated the bones and messed around with the movements. It doesn't seem to take much rotation before the surrounding surfaces distort. I'm not sure if it's because of my model, bones, or lack of weights. The model is very simple with a low poly count (which was my goal), but should it be more complex to handle the movements or is it my simple bones that are creating problems. I know my rib bone is a little big, I was trying to maintain the V shape upper body but maybe it was a bad idea...

My subpatch level is 3 and smoothness is 60ish, does this matter?

I have no problem diving into the whole weight map thing, but I want to make sure my fundamentals are sound.

Thanx

Dirk
05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Set Deformations (in the objects property panel) to "after bones" if You haven't already. Try to set the power of the bones in the arms to a lower value, say 15%.

towfish
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanx Dirk, I just went home for lunch and tried that. Big improvement! I still get the pinching but I'm able to get the arm rotated down much further before it deforms.

Does the initial geometry of the object affect this problem? If I added more polys to that area would it help? Or is it a layout thing?

Is there any area that would need weight maps for basic animation? Or can it all be handled through tweeking the bone/object properties?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm excited to get this guy in motion..

Thanx

hrgiger
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Tweaking the bone properties will only get you so far.

You can use weight maps, or you could try additional holder bones. For instance you can place a small bone on the body right under the arm to keep the body from caving in when you bring the arm down.

Dirk
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
If You try weight maps, You could use one wmap for the body and head, one for the arms, and maybe one for each leg. You can also (depending on what You want to do with the character) model a more "relaxed" base pose, where the arms point down in a 45 degree angle.

There's a nice video made by omeone over at ikboost.com, that explains rigging:

http://ikboost.com/learn/video-tutorial-introduction-to-ik-boost-part-3-character-rigging/

towfish
05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanx Dirk, that's good advise. I've seen that pose so many times that I assumed it was the "standard" pose. Starting at a 45 would definately make more sense.

You've made me realize that my goal should be designing the model for it's function. Seems like a simple thing but I definately learned something.

thanx