PDA

View Full Version : Animate Pivot Point

05-03-2007, 04:49 AM
Hello,

I need help, I need to animate the pivot point over time, I can change it but I need to add keyframes, & a pivot channel does not appear in the graph editor

Appreciate any advice.

Huw

Ztreem
05-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Instead of animating the pivot you can do it this way instead.
1.load your object
2. make two null objects
3. make null 1 parent to your object
4. make null 2 parent to null 1
5. use null 2 as your pivot point and use null 1 to move the object so your pivot get another position. I hope it helps.

cagey5
05-03-2007, 05:38 AM
Check this thread out..
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13761

And is that Manchester, England btw or one of the many US Manchesters?

05-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you for your help, It seems that it woiuld be a good feature to add, as its a bit long winded to use nulls (are you listening Newtek?).

Yes Cagey5 we are in UK.

I am sure I will be online again, as I am not very good at this 3D lark, & I Have lots of Questions.

Cheers,

Huw

UnCommonGrafx
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm sure they are listening.

But the hassle of nulls is superior to what you suggest. As time goes by you will see that Nulls are King.

toby
05-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Animated pivot points would be a nightmare, because all kinds of motion options and plugins rely on them. And it's not neccessary, this is the kind of thing that Nulls exist for, in every package.

Surrealist.
05-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes. Nulls have many uses. But if all you need to do is animate a pivot point that only takes one null and your object.

To state again what has been stated, nulls are king. They are so useful in so many situations that it is a real good idea to get used to using and working with them.

Example:

Want to fly an object in 360 around another object and still be able to animate that object on it's own axis?

Parent it to a null, move the object off and rotate the null.

For a planet orbit yes, but what about a 360 camera spin? Or spinning lights or... (insert your imagination)

Want to fly several jets or birds in formation...?

Want to build a camera rig that works and operates like a crane and dolly...?

Nulls are used in everything from character animation to hypervovel special effects and particles.

You can even use them as reference objects for surfacing and animated textures.

They can be used to target eyes for ease of animating eyes looking around.

There are so many uses the list could go on...