PDA

View Full Version : Streets and terrain

mop91212
05-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Hi again,

I need to make the streets surrounding a building. It has diferent slopes.
I tried to make the outlines and then move each point to its right altitude. But when i skin them some times i get wierd results. Then i also have to make the border stones for the sidewalk. Canīt figure out how to copy the curves parallel to the originals so i can make a cut to the sidewalk and change the surface.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Silkrooster
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Try creating your roads with splines, if the road changes widths or twists then use two splines instead of one. On another layer create a profile of the road with the box tool. Make sure the profile faces away from the spline and the spline is running away from the profile.(If the spline is wrong direction the f key can flip it for you)
Now just use rail extrude, your road will follow the contour of the spline.

For roads already made, divide the road up so its made of several polys. Select points of the ground and copy those to another layer. Select all the points and create a spline (ctrl-p). Now you can use the spline guide tool to bend the road. The spline guide can use a background spline for the guide.
Dividing the road up is necessary to allow the road to bend, so the more polys the smoother the bend.
Silk

mop91212
05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for your help.

I have not tried it yet, but i will as soon as i have a free moment.

Another question. What if 2 roas cross, and each has a diferent slope and curve?

Silkrooster
05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I would think if they both meet at the same coordinates you should be fine. However for a more complex setup each road can consists of two splines, one for each side of the road and use that for your rail extrude. This will allow you to twist and change the width of your road.
Silk