PDA

View Full Version : Is there a SE demo?

medeamajic
05-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Speed Edit sounds good if it is True RT with OHCI. THe GUI looks decent but I want to try before I buy. Is a demo in the works?

pnelson
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
We are discussing a demo but I'm not sure how quickly it will be ready.

You best bet is to check out SpeedEDIT at your local reseller.

medeamajic
05-03-2007, 01:26 PM
It is hard to find the time . Like others I work 10-20 hours worth of ovetime each week.

These forums seem very good but I wish it allowed for the members to post screen shots of the SE GUI. It would be helpful.

I live Michigan between Detroit and Flint. Where should I go for a hands on Demo of SE?

billmi
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
These forums seem very good but I wish it allowed for the members to post screen shots of the SE GUI. It would be helpful.

They do.

I live Michigan between Detroit and Flint. Where should I go for a hands on Demo of SE?

Don't know if either are in your area, but there are a couple of dealers in Michigan:
http://www.newtek.com/dealers/us.php

ted
05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Just buy it! :thumbsup:
There are a lot of people buying it that have other systems as well. I think those might be the best people to listen to.
Hope you like it.

medeamajic
05-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Just buy it! :thumbsup:
There are a lot of people buying it that have other systems as well. I think those might be the best people to listen to.
Hope you like it.

Thanks but no thanks. I think the RT horse power of SE may be as good as Edius but I will have to test the GUI before I buy. Keep in mind Canopus was the first to offer true RT with Fire Wire device cameras. They solved the riddle of RT DV-25 almost a decade ago.

wvp
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
A few posts (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66636)before yours reveals the following offer from Jim Davis, owner of DVS Direct:

"There is not a demo Version but you can purchase it from us and if you do not like it return if for a full refund as long as you do not register it. So far no one wants to return it. We will even give you free ground shipping. You can't go wrong with that.

here is a link http://www.dvsdirect.com/SpeedEdit.htm
PH 1 800 379 7267 "

So contact Jim and in a few days you will be able to demo it on your system, in the way you edit

medeamajic
05-04-2007, 04:49 PM
That offer sounds very good and I may take it. Do you sell Edius also? Is SE like Edius with OHCI?

ScorpioProd
05-04-2007, 07:11 PM
In terms of real-time performance with DV; EDIUS 4 and SpeedEDIT 1 are very similar. My system can handle 4 or 5 DV streams in real-time with either NLE.

When one moves to HDV, then SpeedEDIT gains an advantage. SpeedEDIT works with HDV natively, much more efficiently than EDIUS 4 does. On my system, EDIUS 4 can NOT keep a single native HDV stream playing for me. While SpeedEDIT certainly can. EDIUS relies on converting your native HDV to their HQ codec first, only then does it regain its real-time ability on my system.

So, with SpeedEDIT, you save the need to transcode to another lossy format before editing.

Newtek's native HDV playback ability is the most efficient I've seen, if I look at performance and CPU load to judge this, SpeedEDIT's wins over EDIUS or Vegas.

medeamajic
05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info.

medeamajic
05-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Do you like the GUI of Edius or SE better. I am not saying either is the best GUI but if you had to choose between the two what would you chose SE or Edius?

I take it since SE is a native HDV solution it can out put even HDV back to tape in RT just like DV-25. Is this correct?

I think SE may have a new customer very very soon.

ScorpioProd
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Because I am used to the GUI of SpeedEDIT, which is like the GUI of VT-EDIT which I've used for many years, I tend to prefer it over any of the competition. Storyboard/timeline duality and the control tree structure.

BUT, note that my only personal EDIUS 4 experience was with the 30-day downloadable demo, which I did some real DV and HDV projects in and did a bunch of tests on, but that was it. So in no way am I the least bit expert about EDIUS. But I was able to do work in it without major problems.

But since you asked me to pick, I would pick SE's GUI.

Really, though people love their particular NLEs, once you know one, you almost know them all. They're really all more similar than different.

As for your HDV question, no. Just cause a NLE works natively in the codec in no way implies that you can play your timeline out as real-time HDV to a deck, if that's what you're suggesting. I don't know any NLE that could do that, the HDV compression is simply too processor intensive to do on-the-fly currently.

BUT, SpeedEDIT WILL let you preview a pseudoHDV signal out the firewire in real-time, giving you a true HD preview. The competition will only preview high def out as DV, which, of course, SpeedEDIT can also do.

medeamajic
05-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I take it DV-25 in SE is true RT with our rendering back to tape like Edius. SE sounds decent. They need a demo ASAP.

I thought Edius 2.0 was 100% hype until I downloaded the demo. There was no hype with Edius. It is true RT with OHCI. I think the same may be true of SE. RT back to tape with OHCI is awesome. I hate rendering CC or PIPs. The GUI of SE looks good to me.

ScorpioProd
05-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Correct, you can play your timeline of a DV-25 project right out the firewire to tape in real-time. (Assuming a modern PC within recommended specs, of course.)

I agree, a demo is needed. I did the demos of EDIUS 4 and Vegas 7 last year, it was important for me to actually compare the different NLE choices to see what I like.

And yes, it is very impressive that things like CC don't seem to be a performance hit in SpeedEDIT at all. I don't honestly remember how much of a hit they were in EDIUS 4, but in Vegas 7, they are a big performance hit.

Actually, in Vegas 7, even turning on the safe zone on the preview monitor is a big performance hit! That's just plain weird.

medeamajic
05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Thnaks again.

I had Vegas and sold it on ebay. Not much RT. I Have Premiere Pro and even Liquid Edition. Liquid Edition gives RT VGA previews only. There is no OHCI out put in RT. Premiere is out put to OHCI but in preview mode (fields not frames). Edius blew my mind. I had a Canopus Storm and was getting as much RT with Edius and OHCI so I sold the Storm. Edius works great for my needs but I think SE might have a better GUI. I hate the idea of having to pay for SE up front to get a feel for the GUI but after reading your post I think that is what I will have to do.

Is there anything SpeedEdit lacks or anything you wish was different? I am guessing you can arrange the pallets and map the keyboard to emulate Avid, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, etc.

SBowie
05-06-2007, 10:19 AM
> Is there anything SpeedEdit lacks or anything you wish was different

There are lots of things many of us wish was different, but I expect that could be said on behalf of any user group of any nle sw.

Editing the default hotkeys in SE (or VT) is not something for the faint of heart to tackle. Some existing keystrokes combinations are similar to the common standards, others perhaps 'not so much.' I'd prefer more flexibility in this respect.

The UI doesn't really have a lot of 'palettes' to re-arrange, but pretty much all of the windows that you might open for one or another purpose can be freely positioned, and toggled with a keystroke. Major UI features that are more likely to be open at all times can be re-sized and displayed sin everal configs, and the entire thing is largely comprised of convenient tabbed panels anyway.

medeamajic
05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info. SE sounds great. I guess I am going to have to buy it.

Bobt
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
You need to give SE a test drive on a PC that can show it at its best.
Get to a dealer try it out on a machine and make sure they can show you all the
features you want to see turned on.
Then you can make up your own mind. Editors are like cars you cant really tell if you like it until you test drive it.

Bob

ScorpioProd
05-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah, what Bob said. NLE preference is very subjective.

Jim Davis
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
There is not a demo Version but you can purchase it from us and if you do not like it return if for a full refund as long as you do not register it. So far no one wants to return it. We will even give you free ground shipping. You can't go wrong with that.

ted
05-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Well done Jim. That should get you a load of new sales from skeptics.

ScorpioProd
05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Kinda ironic that I just got an e-mail from Newtek touting the downloadable 30-day unlimited feature demo for LW 9.2...

Jim Davis
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the reason they can't do that with SpeedEdit has to do with some licensing issues reguarding some of the Codacs. This is my understanding . In any case as I said our return policy makes it easy to try SpeedEdit if anyone wants to.

couryhouse
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
explain this further... when you are previeig you take the hit or rendering?

ed sharpe

Actually, in Vegas 7, even turning on the safe zone on the preview monitor is a big performance hit! That's just plain weird.[/QUOTE]

ScorpioProd
05-28-2007, 10:31 PM
explain this further... when you are previeig you take the hit or rendering?

ed sharpe

Actually, in Vegas 7, even turning on the safe zone on the preview monitor is a big performance hit! That's just plain weird.

Previewing. When I turn on the safe zone in Vegas 7, I drop about 5fps below real-time.

Tod Cole
07-14-2008, 07:31 PM
There is not a demo Version but you can purchase it from us and if you do not like it return if for a full refund as long as you do not register it. So far no one wants to return it. We will even give you free ground shipping. You can't go wrong with that.

Jim built a pc for us over 4 years ago. Had some problems with shipping at first, sent it back. DVS fixed it within a week and for 4 years it is being used daily perfectly. I have built many boxes but Jim builds a solid box that stands the test of time so far.

Squeakydave
07-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Just want to add my vote for a demo. Not sure there is anywhere near me to see it in action here in the UK.

iconoclasty
08-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I'd also like to throw my hat in for a demo. I'd love to switch my whole department over but our pipeline has specific requirements that would have to be tested.

rbartlett
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Just want to add my vote for a demo. Not sure there is anywhere near me to see it in action here in the UK.

DVC.UK.COM is probably about your closest NewTek dealer but they only have LW and TriCaster listed. Worth a call.

CreativeVideo.co.uk usually state they have the ability to demonstrate NewTek products. I ordered 3D Arsenal through OneVideo.co.uk as CVP didn't list the product at the time, but I don't think onevideo.co.uk have a shop front (a fact for which in North America, as far as I recall (going back some) would itself prevent them from being a dealer). PlanetDV.co.uk have been in attendance with NewTek products at trade shows such as IOV. They might be able to demonstrate it.

Whether they have it in stock might depend on their relationship with NewTek Europe. It might be worth quoting the Jim Davis offer where you get to return it as long as it hasn't been registered. For the UK dealer to be sure this won't happen they might also need to have a good rapport with NewTek in San Antonio. As registration/activation for the product isn't handled by NTE afaik.

If you can wait, NewTek do come to the UK themselves from time to time. I had the pleasure of seeing Philip demonstrating SpeedEDIT in London a while back. NewTek have been here, to Bristol and to Datavision's offices nr Bedford in recent years. (Datavision is now in Milton Keynes and doesn't seem to sell much more than consumables).

I think the secret to positioning SpeedEDIT into your collection of software is best matched against your requirements and expectations. Please list what you can here. SE has many unique features and fans who'll swear by them. It has a few missing items found in other, equally not entirely encompassing NLEs that you'll swear at it for. There is no one-size-for-all NLE IMHO. Many say this about all products. At least until 1.8 or perhaps later. :)

I don't quite see why LW is obtainable but SpeedEDIT isn't. Yet NewTek NLEs are one of the best kept industry secrets.

I have some of the NAB 2008 Internet narrowcasting footage separated into per-product files in the form of ASF/WMV files that you can open up in WMP or VLCplayer. I can send you a copy if you think this might help? This is marketing material, no more no less.

inkpen3d
09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Due to the lack of a try-before-you-buy trial version of SpeedEdit I am reluctantly forced into buying the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro bundle, even though SE potentially looks to be the better application. The alternative, of buying SE based solely on reading the User Guide, the enthusiastic recommendations of SE users, and NT advertising, and only then discovering that it was all a big mistake (e.g. due to it frequently crashing on my system, etc), is far too much of a high risk strategy on my limited budget!

I have used the 30-day fully functional trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro to produce a DVD for a client and found it to address all my current requirements and, importantly, it has proven to be a very stable product and has not crashed on me once during extensive usage. Also, it has a DVD authoring package included in the bundle, which SE does not.

Lastly, although Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro might not have all the bells and whistles of SE, I can nevertheless purchase it online for just under $115, which is less than a quarter of the price of SE. If at sometime in the future my requirements expand to justify purchasing SE, and NT have by then got their collective fingers out and released a demo version (presumably having finally completed those lengthy licensing negotiations with third party codec suppliers, which was given as a reason way back in 2006 for a demo version not being provided), then I can maybe jump the SV ship and acquire SpeedEdit after trying it out.

Regards
Peter

mskuma
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I was in the same boat about 6-12 months ago. It's surprising we're still talking about this issue (i.e. NT still has no demo). I think NT must force their all dealers worldwide to give a money-back guarantee to overcome this issue (I think there are some kind US dealers who independently do it). Dealers are the only sales channel, so they could make it work. NT's licensing & usage restrictions are so tight, I think NT could make it work. NT ought to make an official policy about it, or simply solve the problem. It's the modern age - nearly every product has a demo version these days.

Dufusyte
10-01-2008, 11:50 AM
I can purchase Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro online for just under $115
You might also consider Sony Vegas 8 Pro for almost the same price (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536041-REG/Sony_VP8Q_Vegas_Pro_8_Video.html). Admittedly this version of Vegas does not include the DVD Authoring application, which you would have to buy separately (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504339-REG/Sony_Creative_Software_SDVDAS4500_DVD_Architect_St udio_4_5.html).

ScorpioProd
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
You might also consider Sony Vegas 8 Pro for almost the same price (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536041-REG/Sony_VP8Q_Vegas_Pro_8_Video.html). Admittedly this version of Vegas does not include the DVD Authoring application, which you would have to buy separately (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504339-REG/Sony_Creative_Software_SDVDAS4500_DVD_Architect_St udio_4_5.html).

Of course, one could say the same thing about SpeedEDIT not coming with a DVD authoring application...

Frankly, it's kinda scary that people are comparing SpeedEDIT to the consumer Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro instead of the real Sony Vegas Pro 8... Wow.

If Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro can do what you need, that's fine... But if you're looking to do this professionally, you should really consider the full Vegas Pro 8 solution, it really does have a lot more capabilities.

geothefaust
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm interested in SpeedEDIT, but... Is there no demo still, at this point? I looked...

ScorpioProd
03-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Nope, never has been a demo, and I would bet there never will be a demo.

geothefaust
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks.