05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
RigMaster v1.0 Beta for Lightwave
Video demonstration
Rigging a hand

http://adam.piettes.com/rigmasterdemo/
or
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3291463589926691324
(not as crisp)

This is a new plugin I've been developing to help speed and simplify the process of rigging within Lightwave. The demo video shows some features while rigging a hand.

This is not a pre-made auto-rig. This is a tool to quickly create your rig, especially those that aren't covered by auto-riggers like multi-armed, robot chickens.

The idea behind RigMaster is to create control handles through an interactive panel, allowing you to get instant feedback while creating your rig. RigMaster takes the laborious tasks in rigging and simplifies them so you can get results faster.

Features:
- interactive panel to select bones
- automated null shape creation and placement
- bones listed by hierarchy
- joint selection: IK ball, IK hinge, FK target, FK rotate, FK pivot
- create multiple handles of the same type: create 100 IK legs of the centipede with a few clicks
- update skelegons, on the fly, without erasing your keyframes
- auto adds motion modifiers(included) that improve lightwave's FK
- simplified 'use bones from layer'
- many quick tools to aid in the rigging process
- works great with motion mixer, and all of Lightwave's native tools

Potential for 1.0 release:
- add expressions to handles automatically: lag, bounce, etc.
- bake motion

Potential for future 2.0 release:
- muscle bones (stretchy)
- lattice deformers

Pricing:
v1.0 will be kept affordable, and a great asset to the Lightwave toolkit.

Website coming soon for full details!

enjoy :lwicon:
//adam

Castius
05-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Nice work, can't wait to see more.

DiedonD
05-03-2007, 02:05 AM
That completes it all then. You have Maestro for common objects, now you have this for "Multiple armed robot chickens" LOL Where did you get this idea :)

colkai
05-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Looks really good, some very useful tools in there.
Here's hoping it falls within my price bracket when it arrives! :)

Dodgy
05-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Hmmm, the Update bones function is just like my plugin :)

evenflcw
05-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Probably nothing I'll end up buying (I'm too cheapand develop what I need myself), but certainly makes skelegons abit more usefull (as does Dodgys plugin).

If I was to try and give you some constructive criticism, I don't think it's appropriate that the user should have to create the bone at the end of every ik chain himself beforehand. This is something that should be handled by your plugin. This way the user can build all his chains in the same manner (without ik end bone), no matter how the chain will end up being controlled.

It'd also be nice if you added a timeslider to the video if you can. 10 minutes is a long time. I imagine you were too excited today that you couldn't care less about practical things like that. Cool to see scripts/plugins wips :)

hrgiger
05-03-2007, 05:53 AM
It does look useful. I just question the logic in writing plug-ins for character animation/rigging when we have no idea how Newtek may update/change the character animation process in the 9.x cycle.

JohnMarchant
05-03-2007, 05:55 AM
I seem to remember some italian guys working on a layout rigging tool called LCS or something similar a few years back. Dont think it ever saw the light of day. Looks good hope this finally makes it out.

Regards, John

05-03-2007, 08:17 AM
This is probably the coolest thing I've seen for LW since I started using it back at version 6. I don't mind the extra IK bones at all... after having to build such things anyway for motion builder rigs for years. I've always preferred skelegons over bones and plugins like this just prove that modeler can be used for a decent non-destructive setup mode. I remember using something similar from Castius a couple years ago, just for updating bones in layout and loved it. I'll take something like this right now over waiting to see what newtek are going to do with character animation.

Please finish it Adam! =D

Castius
05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks James It's good to hear someone used my script. I had plans to do more with it. But seeing how i never had time to do it. I'm just as happy to see somone else makeing pretty much what i had in mind.

tyrot
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
dear john

very good point. I dont know how many IK plugins we will have soon, with very little difference. Guys why dont you get together and make a great system such as character studio or CAT..

I really wish you all come together and develope something kick-butto. Otherwise we will need to pay something very similar or something a bit better.

Why anybody in our plugin community doesnt deal with Mocaps? Integrated MOCAP solution may be like character studio, layers, tracks, mixdowns..etc etc.

I mean we have amazing Modeler plugins, Lwcad, pictrix, Trueart, amazing rendering technologies, Kray, Fprime, native and even PIM...why we dont see that much fantastic , one button solution plugins in character animation i really do wonder..

Hey adam, do not understand this as an objection, i m gonna get no matter what but why not go a bit top with cooperative work?

Best

05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
No, thank YOU Scott. =]
I think that was the closest I got to messiah-like setup functionality in LW back then.

With stuff like this coming from the user community I think I would rather see newtek focus on more of the core issues with animation such as performance, animation layers, and the ability to pretty much keyframe anything at all, tied in to a nice scripting language like jscript or python that is portable to other applications. I've come farther in the last year in XSI using jscript than I ever did in the years I've used LW. I want to see that happen with LW now. People will just write more cool stuff like this if people see that it is possible, and worth doing in LW.

adamredwoods
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks the feedback!
I know the video is long and no narration, but it was late and I had to get it out. I'll see if I can add a scrub bar.

@Dodgy: Yes, your plugin was an inspiration and I've used it years ago. But modestly, I used it a few times and it messed up my bones, so for this plugin I wrote the script from scratch. Either way, this function should be BUILT IN to Lightwave. There should never be any 'converting'.

@evenflcw: If you look closely, I have two checkboxes above 'CREATE HANDLE'. One is 'add leaf bone', which adds a bone to the end of your chain. The other is 'Revord Pivot Rotation'.

@hrgiger: Yes, I'm curious regarding Newtek's next release for character animation tools. I'm hoping it's more along the lines of quaternion IK and improved FK targeting, but if they release something great, I'll take it! My objective is to get my animation done I've started years ago.

@tyrot: I agree, a collaborative effort would be great, now all we need is a project manager! :) A mocap tool would be great, but in my timeline it's out there. BTW, there's nothing special about the nulls RigMaster adds, so the mocap data can be fed to the nulls.

WHen I get more of the plugin done, I'll release another set of videos.

//adam

Auger
05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Looking cool, Adam. Can't wait to see the finished product! :beerchug:

Jon

Dodgy
05-04-2007, 02:57 AM
@Dodgy: Yes, your plugin was an inspiration and I've used it years ago. But modestly, I used it a few times and it messed up my bones, so for this plugin I wrote the script from scratch. Either way, this function should be BUILT IN to Lightwave. There should never be any 'converting'.

I've recently rewritten my plugin to be a bit more careful as regards motion plugins, and hopefully to be more stable, and as soon as I work out a couple of little bugs, I hope to release the new one. I look forward to yours though :)

t4d
05-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Nice :) alot of cool workflow in there :thumbsup:

Danic101
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks interesting However I will wait for the new NewTek CA tools until I buy.