PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster Streaming Ability

robrimes
05-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Can I get some rough numbers from others with experience, how many people can see the streaming from Tricaster Pro (rough numbers), how many people with a streaming server (rough numbers). Just some rough numbers, round DOWN...

Thanks,
Robert Rimes
Houston, TX

Rich Deustachio
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
How many people that can see the stream has nothing to do with Tricaster, it depends on the company your using to do the streaming.

robrimes
05-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks Dynamics Video Productions for the information, I'll give more detail to my question. The tricaster will multicast, how many people can watch the tricaster, average company fortune 500, 100 MB network. How many if you have in-house streaming server, average fortune 500 company.

Thanks,
Robert Rimes
Houston, TX

billmi
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Dynamics Video Productions for the information, I'll give more detail to my question. The tricaster will multicast, how many people can watch the tricaster, average company fortune 500, 100 MB network.

This will depend on the bitrate at which you are streaming the program (i.e. the quality level.) Divide the bandwidth of the connection speed you are getting between the Tricaster and the network, by the bandwidth at which you intend to stream, and the number of users will be a little lower than that (due to overhead of operation and such.) That will get you in the ballpark.

How many if you have in-house streaming server, average fortune 500 company.

I guess that depends whether the Fortune 500 company is Ford or Sun Microsystems - I don't think there is any expected average here, in fact I would expect that a large percentage of Fortune 500 companies don't have in-house streaming servers.

It really depends on what they have set up.

pensacola
06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I did a quick test on our network.
streaming with the tricaster pro only.
29.97 fps at 360x 240 I only got 5 people 6th and 7th ones said server was bizzy
Strangely enough I set it down to 12.5 fps and some dinky size (180x 120?) 96 kbps and still only got 5 users.. I didn't really care since we're setting up an in house streamer, I just wanted to test it anyway and make sure it worked.

Tarheel Cougar
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I did a quick test on our network.
streaming with the tricaster pro only.
29.97 fps at 360x 240 I only got 5 people 6th and 7th ones said server was bizzy
Strangely enough I set it down to 12.5 fps and some dinky size (180x 120?) 96 kbps and still only got 5 users.. I didn't really care since we're setting up an in house streamer, I just wanted to test it anyway and make sure it worked.

This isn't a Newtek limitation but a MS limit -- I remember reading somewhere that it doesn't matter if you are on gigabit ethernet streaming at 1 fps, I think there is a 5 user limit imposed by Windows Media Encoder, and you have to be running the WM server software if you want more than that.

Jim_C
06-15-2007, 08:51 PM
If you would like to try streaming flash, the Adobe Flash Media Encoder is a free download.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/flashmediaencoder/

It works very much like Windows media encoder. Except, imo a little more user friendly. It will see the VT card as an input.

I have used it extensively to make real time flash encodes off of the VT timeline, but have not done any streaming with it.

Oh wait...... this is the Tricaster section we are talking about.
Oops Sorry bout that. You're not suppose to install anything on Tricaster are you..?

Well anyway.. there's a tip thrown out there for VT users ...

carry on, sorry to interrupt