PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave keeps crashing/freezing during render

gubar
05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I've de-fragmented, scanned for bad stuff, got new drivers et all.

In the last few days, Lightwave crashed every time I render (unless I render very short scenes < 6 minutes). It either freezes (I wait about 5 minutes then have to restart), resets my system or gives me the message "Lightwave.exe has encountered a problem...).

I've got Norton Anti virus and it gives me issues with the Hub, but it's never been a problem to render before. It was fine a couple of weeks ago.

Any one got any advice on what my next step should be? I've got rendering that has to be done before Friday!

Thanks,

g

Mr Maze
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Are you rendering to frames or to an animation? I know that rendering to frames has saved my rear a couple of times. I then use Premier or QuickTime Pro to open an image sequence and then convert it to video / animation.

Also, try running with your antivirus turned off completely, see if it starts working. If it doesn't, disable Hub, see if it starts working. Start from there...

colkai
05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Yup, always, ALWAYS render to frames, that way, computer fubars, power outtages etc mean you can pick up where you left off.
One the sequence is rendered, you can then use it as a backdrop image to render out the movie, or pull it into your favourite video package.

gubar
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the responses,

I'm going to start saving as frames and see how easy it is to sequence them with premier elements. Already have the hub disabled (which in itself is a pain), maybe try a clean install soon.

regards,

g

Exception
05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Sounds like you have a memory and/or heat problem.

Try downloading Prime95, and run an instance for each core you have in torture blend mode for a night. If your computer does not crash or cause an error, run memtest86 for a night.

Lw is very sensitive to hardware faults, much more so than most other programs. Excessive random crashing is one thing but Lw cannot crash your machine completely. If that happens, something else is wrong...

Good luck!