PDA

View Full Version : Surface Bake Camera

CAClark
05-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Am I missing something, or is this actually pretty limited? Why do they not have the ability to render just lighting and so on? I'm baking with frpime3, and I see no easy way of extracting the lighting.

Cheers!

Dodgy
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
You could right click on your object in the surface editor, use save library, then replace your surfaces with a white diffuse surface using multiselect or copy and paste. Render the lighting, then use load library to reapply your surfaces.

gerry_g
05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
They're only channels Dodgy, if Modo will let you bake only the diffuse light channel I'm pretty sure Lightwave could too, that is if someone at Newtek set it up to be more user friendly in the first place (not that it's particularly bad, well not compared to the old one that is).

CAClark
05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Dodgy... that's kinda what I've had to di, except for simplicity i save a seperate bake version of my object..... but as Gerry says, it seems short sighted to only allow you to bake what you see so to speak.

Cheers!

Ztreem
05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
You can use the buffer export in the processing tab to save out different buffers if that's what you want.

CAClark
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
You can use the buffer export in the processing tab to save out different buffers if that's what you want.

The point is fprime, which is what people seem to be missing. I'm using fprime, which is why it seems a shame the required buffer can't be selected on the camera (which would seem more logical than adding another seperate step).

Cheeers!

CAClark
05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey Buddy, long time no speak... how are ya?

I can't argue on the XSI goodness, it's the way to go logically.... but NT really should rip off more good ideas rather than their own half baked (!) versions.

Cheers!

they need an ultimapper equivalent. A proper baking pannel allowing for the baking of high to low poly meshes specifying what you want baked, normals, occlusion etc..

http://www.render.ru/images/uploads/Image/Articles/XSI/xsi_v5_ultimapper.jpg

they also need a rendermap pannel allowing the baking of your objects materials, with the ability to specify what parts of materials (col, diff, spec, full render etc) and if you want lighting, no lighting, occlusion pass etc..

http://www.softimage.jp/tutorial_tips/WeeklyTips/vol20/img/rendermap2.jpg

Sensei
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
The point is fprime, which is what people seem to be missing. I'm using fprime, which is why it seems a shame the required buffer can't be selected on the camera (which would seem more logical than adding another seperate step).

LW cameras are responsible for calculating ray directions on film plane, not which channel is actually rendered.. Basically the all channels are rendered in LW renderer for every pixel in layer above cameras, and then merged into one color. You don't have to choose which channel to render- they're all there!

FPrime went the same route - instead of letting user to see these channels, even in real-time, and by clicking one drop-down control choose which one to see, it composites them behind and give you just final result..

If I am not mistaken it's because G2 has such feature to pick up channels.. Giving it also to FPrime would kill G2 sales dramatically..

Extent
05-03-2007, 02:11 AM
G2 only lets you preview those buffers though, not render them in any way really. So it's only really useful for troubleshooting.

Ztreem
05-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Ok, why can't you just render with LW instead of Fprime? and I don't see this as a LW problem, it's more of a Fprime problem as it doesn't support to save the render buffers.

CAClark
05-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Because LW's GI is better, but still not comparable to fprime in speed.

You can get all pedantic about the definition of a camera, but what could be more intuitive than having the ability to simply define what the camera is going to see?

CAClark
05-03-2007, 02:56 AM
LW cameras are responsible for calculating ray directions on film plane, not which channel is actually rendered.. Basically the all channels are rendered in LW renderer for every pixel in layer above cameras, and then merged into one color. You don't have to choose which channel to render- they're all there!

FPrime went the same route - instead of letting user to see these channels, even in real-time, and by clicking one drop-down control choose which one to see, it composites them behind and give you just final result..

If I am not mistaken it's because G2 has such feature to pick up channels.. Giving it also to FPrime would kill G2 sales dramatically..

It's not about fprime, it's about the functionality of the LW tool, befire we even get so far as choosing what to render with.

Cheers!

Ztreem
05-03-2007, 03:35 AM
I agree that the surface baking process can be made better, but thats true for almost every aspect of LW.
In this case though, it feels like you're complaining because Fprime can not do what you want(save render buffers), but the function is in LW if you use the native render. If I'm totally mistaken of what you want then just don't mind me. :)
For normal map and occlusion baking, I think it is time to update the renderbuffer plugin more than the actual surface baking camera.

CAClark
05-03-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm not complaining about frpime :D But by having the choice at the camera stage, you are open to your renderer of choice, not limited to LW rendering.

Ztreem
05-03-2007, 06:09 AM
But if Fprime supported render buffers you wouldn't be limited to only use the LW render... :D

CAClark
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Hahaha well that is true enough :D

Thomas M.
06-12-2007, 05:20 AM
... and what about vertex color and weight baking?

dpont
06-12-2007, 05:53 AM
Duplicate the object with different surface name,
the first is baked (Unseen By Camera) and
the second is set in SB with its UV map (Unseen By Rays)
and you can bake vertex color or weight map.

Denis.

Thomas M.
06-12-2007, 06:22 AM
So you need a working UV map? Point for me is to get rid of the UV map bypass and bake the stuff directly (like with Surface baker).

sammael
06-12-2007, 06:36 AM
they need an ultimapper equivalent. A proper baking pannel allowing for the baking of high to low poly meshes specifying what you want baked, normals, occlusion etc..

they also need a rendermap pannel allowing the baking of your objects materials, with the ability to specify what parts of materials (col, diff, spec, full render etc) and if you want lighting, no lighting, occlusion pass etc..

You do realise 9.2 can do all this quite easily? You cant do it all in one pass but you could do it by baking normal map, occlusion, lighting and textures (psd) seperately. The LW renderer is quite fast now and you would only have to bake all this once. I cant see the big deal.

dpont
06-12-2007, 06:40 AM
So you need a working UV map? Point for me is to get rid of the UV map bypass and bake the stuff directly (like with Surface baker).

Yes, don't know what I missed before, but you can do this
with one object directly, baking its color map on its
uv map with SB.

Denis.