PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.2 Community Showreel!

Exception
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes! It's finally out!

The showreel by the community for the community, showing off all the new goodies in 9.2 in actual production, in one thumping grinding 100% user-produced orgazmo of eye candy!

Show it to your mom, dad, neighbor and that weird guy in the stop ' shop!

More ! Exclamation! Marks! needed!

Download your favorite flavor of reel (Low, med or high res, QT and Avi) here on the LightWiki pages:
http://www.lightwiki.com/index.php?title=Community_LightWave_9.2_demo_video

Spread the word, this has been intended to be spawned all over the web, many of your forum favorite people have assisted and contributed in making.

Thanks to the NT forums community. :beerchug:

http://www.except.nl/overig/uploads/kittens/Showreel.jpg

cagey5
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Gotta say that is an impressive body of work. Congrats to all involved. :thumbsup:

Exception
05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Here are some mirrors if your download from lightwiki is slow:
The server seems a bit busy with all the downloads...

Med quality Quicktime Sorenson 3 (35mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?14rwtmzwv21
HQ Quicktime H264 (45mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?7jmqy2yj31n
med quality Xvid Avi (25mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?eymywnm2jzn

JeffrySG
05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah, those were all great clips! and gotta love that super late entry... ;)

All of the renders were done in LW 9.2 right? no kray or fprime?

Great reel! Congrats to all the contributors!

cresshead
05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
well seems these lightwave 9.2 videos are VERy popular..i can't get 'em at all!
...mirrors are now slower than the wiki pages...less than 1kb per second....89 hours to download!....newtek?,.....give over some bandwidth!

Exception
05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
You ask, Kurtis provides!

Med Q Sorenson 3: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Community/LW9.2Demo_Final2_s3.mov
Med Q Xvid: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Community/LW9.2Demo_Final2_xvid.avi
High Q H264 ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Community/LW9.2Demo_Final2_h264.mov

cresshead
05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
ohh err!...the power of the cat!
downloading now!
cheers newtek!

cresshead
05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
just watched the large version....whooooo!
nice one chaps!

LW_Will
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes... very good work all you fellows!

LW_Will

hrgiger
05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
You guys did a great job on a very professional looking video. Makes me wish I had contributed. I'm there on 9.3.:)

toby
05-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Congrats to all the fellas involved, excellent work! Better than any 3D company ever does on their own to be sure!

prospector
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Yea, good question JeffrySG,
ALL Lightwave ????

prospector
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Too fast I think, couldn't finish reading some scenes
vid was nice tho :thumbsup:

Weepul
05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I think one or two of the videos showed off FPrime3 - obviously the modeling, texturing, and everything else was still done in LW, and FPrime only exists for LW. :)

Exception
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I think one or two of the videos showed off FPrime3 - obviously the modeling, texturing, and everything else was still done in LW, and FPrime only exists for LW. :)

No way!

100% native lightwave. Even all the titles were done in LW. Speededit for assembling, transitions, cutting and the music.

Mr Maze
05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I loved the beginning and end title sequences. Lightwave never ceases to amaze me.

Weepul
05-01-2007, 08:24 PM
No way!

100% native lightwave. Even all the titles were done in LW. Speededit for assembling, transitions, cutting and the music.
Hm, I thought the dinner table scene was FPrime. Did he re-render with LW for the final cut?

prospector
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
It 'should' be LW 'out of the box'

Exception
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Hm, I thought the dinner table scene was FPrime. Did he re-render with LW for the final cut?

Uh... now that you mention it...
You might have a point. I have a bad memory, and I can't remember the details of any and all, there was a lot of stuff flowing in, but I remember keeping a reasonably strict policy on that one...

Perhaps you're right on that dinner table *scratches head*. That would be the exception then maybe? Too bad, because it's not as if LW's render engine couldn't have done that clip...

The idea was to keep it 'out of the box' indeed. Perhaps it snuck through :\

hrgiger
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't see that it's that big of deal. You still can't get Fprime anywhere else so you might as well boast it right along there with 9.2. But that's just MHO of course.

toby
05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
It's just bad mojo to show a reel of what you can do in LW - when someone buys it and finds out they need FPrime too - not that I think it's a huge deal either

parm
05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Well done everyone. Great stuff :thumbsup:

colkai
05-02-2007, 02:57 AM
It's just bad mojo to show a reel of what you can do in LW - when someone buys it and finds out they need FPrime too

TAP..TAP.. err, is this thing on?

FPrime was used (maybe), but no way does it mean that scene could not be done 100% in LW. Mayhap you missed the rest of the stuff on the reel? ;)

Kudos guys, really, been watching you put this together from the get-go and your perseverance and can-do attitude just shows the power of LW community.

Virtual beers all round! :beerchug: :beerchug:

kopperdrake
05-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Guys! LOVELY JOB :thumbsup:

And the late entry at the end - I must say the phrase 'The Eagle Has Landed' seems ever so apt on this occasion ;)

Limbus
05-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Great to finnaly see it. It was alot of fun to work on it. Hey Tom, thnaks for your effort.

Florian

Weepul
05-02-2007, 06:02 AM
I don't see that it's that big of deal. You still can't get Fprime anywhere else so you might as well boast it right along there with 9.2. But that's just MHO of course.
Exactly. And it shows how LW9.2 + FP3 supports nodes. :thumbsup:

safetyman
05-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Totally freakin' awesome. You guys inspire me greatly.

prospector
05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Dunno, looking at it from a person coming in off the street, picking up a LW box after looking at the reel and noticing that LW costs 795 (a good deal), but then having to buy (or even thinking about having to buy) a renderer to get same results which adds another (300? 400? dunno what FPrime costs), puts it up to 1100,1200, now I'm thinking hmmmmmm, and it's no longer an impulse buy.

But I'd be pretty PO'd if not knowing about FPrime being used, and bought it thinking everything was "out the box" and THEN finding out I'd have to lay another 300-400 out.

At the least, there should be a disclaimer that some stuff was not rendered by LW. At least give potential buyers a heads up

starbase1
05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
You guys did a great job on a very professional looking video. Makes me wish I had contributed. I'm there on 9.3.:)

Who says there cannot be a volume 2?

Nick

Exception
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
At the least, there should be a disclaimer that some stuff was not rendered by LW. At least give potential buyers a heads up

My my, can you stop complaining for once?
It sneaked in ok? Everything was made by people voluntarily, dozens of people chimed in, and did a great job, and something snuck through without notice. Its not even an advertisement! There's no promises, no prices no nothing... can't you just be positive for once for something the community made?
Who cares that Fprime was used on one clip that doesn't even show it unless you happen to know it and could have been pulled off easily by LW itself.

Sorry, this was months of work for me, and I'm really happy it came out, and I am really happy some constructive people from these boards did a great job. This nagging is going up my nose :(

prospector
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Hey..I'm not 'complaining', it was a job well done, congrats to you and everyone who contributed.
If there is a reel 2 then try to leave the print up a little longer so it can be read by all without rushing.

I thought this was going to be somekind of online ad, and that's what I was thinking when I mentioned stuff 'out the box'.

If it's 'not' for that reason then there is no problem here.

Just thought there should be some 'truth in advertising' going on.

TSpyrison
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
That was one hell of a great job!! :bowdown:

Oddly enough, I especially liked the end credits.. a real cool way to do that..

This nagging is going up my nose

Quit standing on your head :D

art
05-02-2007, 10:05 AM
There is no mention of the render times. As long as a result of comparable quality can be achieved with out of the box LW, it should not matter that much whether fprime was used or not (for the sake of this video).

I've been following the progress of this on the other thread. Great work guys!

Sarford
05-02-2007, 10:25 AM
congratulations guys! Very nice video! wow.

*Pete*
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Well done Exception!!

You and all the people contributing for the showreel have done a fantastic job :thumbsup:

prospector: for an animation with GI, i would believe that rendering with FPrime would be more of a disadvantage than anything else...now as LW can cashe GI, i wouldnt know for sure as i dont have FPrime...but either way...there is only one thing FPrime can do that LW cant, and that is interactive near real time previewing.

Art: rendertimes are worthless, as some people contributing had dual quad cores, lots of ram, 64 bit windows/lw and others had computers from some years back and way below standard amount of ram.

also....some are better than others with setting up the scenes, thus making them render faster..its very much up to different user settings what render times you will get.

LW is not as it was before...more needs to be done to get a fast, good quality render than before, but you will, with the right settings, get much faster render than you ever believed was possible...on any computer, with any program :)

JeffrySG
05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, personally I don't care very much if fPrime was used on one or a few clips, it's just nice to know either way. But I am glad that for the most part they are all 'out of the box' renders.

It would be great to continue to add to the reel, as version 9.2 goes to final release, and then as 9.x versions continue to evolve as well!

great job again everyone!!

ps. I really do like the look of the end credits as well!!! very cool!

starbase1
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Abso fragging lootly brilliant, 5* from me!

About the only complaint I have is that it was a bit short - some of the surface demonstration shots in particular I would have liked to watch for longer.

But a seriously nice touch to use the avatars by the credits at the end, a real stroke of genius!

JeffrySG
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
But a seriously nice touch to use the avatars by the credits at the end, a real stroke of genius!
Yeah, I thought that was a great touch as well! and really tied in well with the forum community here...

Exception
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
The end credits are a T-Light masterpiece... :)

Ztreem
05-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Nice job by all involved, especially Exception for his hard work. feels nice to be part of this community.

There is no mention of the render times. As long as a result of comparable quality can be achieved with out of the box LW

I can just answer for my entries that I made, the render times was around 5 min per frame, I think. I don't really remember the exact times. Of course was everything made with native tools in LW 9.2 nothing from any third party.

toby
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
My my, can you stop complaining for once?
It sneaked in ok? Everything was made by people voluntarily, dozens of people chimed in, and did a great job, and something snuck through without notice. Its not even an advertisement! There's no promises, no prices no nothing... can't you just be positive for once for something the community made?
Who cares that Fprime was used on one clip that doesn't even show it unless you happen to know it and could have been pulled off easily by LW itself.

Sorry, this was months of work for me, and I'm really happy it came out, and I am really happy some constructive people from these boards did a great job. This nagging is going up my nose :(
Doh! Sorry if I sounded punitive! I didn't intend it that way, I should've worded it more carefully. I thought someone didn't see how it might look to have non-LW rendered stuff on the reel, and just wanted to explain it.

Excellent work on the video too btw. It's a lot more work than it looks like, especially designing the graphics, which were very cool. I love the overlapping text in the intro.

prospector
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
He wasn't talkin about you Toby

Exception
05-02-2007, 11:08 PM
He wasn't talkin about you Toby

No, I was talkin to the guy over yonder :)

All's well.

toby
05-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I just figgered I was part of the aggravation

cheero

Exception
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Rats, both of you have more posts than I do. I guess I'm outclassed here ;)

toby
05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Yes, anyone who actually has a life... is low on the totem pole here.

voriax
05-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Downloading it now.. From what I saw previously, it was great.
This nonsense about fprime being used etc, is silly. It's meant to be a showcase of 9.2's features, and one of 9.2's features is it's new nodes and it's ability to share those nodes with fprime - a huge step for both programs.
So as long as the scene has some kind of nodal influence, then whether it was fprime rendered or native rendered don't make a diff..

Well done all :D

MooseDog
05-03-2007, 03:51 AM
tempest in a teapot exception. ignore it and feel justifiably proud of some amazing work, solid leadership and working with great artists!

Wonderpup
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Just seen it- the best advert for lightwave I've ever seen. Thanks to all concerned, a fantastic job. Is Nt going to use this for PR?

Chrusion
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Late Entry here...

Render times on a dual Opteron 240 (1.4 gHz) with all the optimization I could muster out of light, shadowing, and ray trace exclusions, and using the new Max Pixel Spacing (MPS) option for radiosity were 25 - 30 min/frm, non-cached, AA = 1, AS = 0.05, OS = 0.05, no MB.

The HV pass rendered 2 - 3 min/frm AA=1, no AS, and PRMB = 4 with 40K particles/frm.

Many false render starts as I tweaked and tweaked radiosity settings, but to no avail... I alway ended up with animated splotches after rendering 20 - 30 frms. Then MPS showed up in the release candidates and lo and behold, nearly splotch-free radiosity animation... finally! Again, THANK YOU NewTek!

Cageman
05-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Friggin' great video! Kudos to all involved... I wish I could have contributed and I REALLY hope that there will be more community-projects like this!

Traveler
05-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Friggin' great video! Kudos to all involved...

I completely :agree:

Makes me want to fire up LW. Too bad I'm still stuck at the office :(

Wickster
05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Friggin' great video! Kudos to all involved... I wish I could have contributed and I REALLY hope that there will be more community-projects like this!
Well, with all the work and upcoming changes to LightWave, I too hope more community projects like this happens. Since the Character Animation system will or might be the next module to get overhauled, I think it's time for animators, TD's and riggers to start prepping for the next community showreel. :D

Andyjaggy
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
That leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.