PDA

View Full Version : Best SD quality from HDV

ScorpioProd
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Any tips for getting the best quality DV widescreen from HDV 1080i?

I've started my project as DV widescreen, my destination format, and my source material is HDV 1080i. Anything else I need to do? Like setting High Quality or ISS or anything like that?

imagic
05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I set my project to DV Widescreen (720x480 16x9, but I make it progressive with a framerate of 59.94) - Unless I am mistaken this allows me to work with the 1080i fields as if they were progressive frames yielding superior sharpness and editability... and most improtantly zero interlace artifacts. When exporting the finished video I export to standard DV widescreen. This seems to work better with HDV footage from progressive chips (1-chip CMOS for example) and less so with any camera that uses some sort of "Pixel Shift" as many 3-CCD designs do.

I brought that workflow over to SpeedEdit from Vegas, where it definitely worked properly. I used to separate fields in VirtualDub until I figured out this works.

KiloWatkins
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Nice Magic I. I simply can't understand the question Eugene. VT 16:9 has been my output for 10+ months. My SE PC HDV1080i with the adjustments I take for granted from my ToolShed preset, and in SE I see a ball. Sending to VT Y/C (1394 SE Preview SD), I see it stretched (HDTV vt monitor) and then it is a Ball again in my 16:9 Mpeg2 recorder from VT out, and burn my DVD.
I have fooled with 60/59.97 progressive in SE myself iMagic, was there not a post somewhere on the SE1.x that includes working with 59.97 P?

BestWishes

cholo
05-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Imagic: I do the same thing. There's a catch though. As of today, there's still a tiny problem with the way speededit handles progressive footage to render out as interlaced for DVD authoring. I've mentioned this before. When placing any progressive footage on an interlaced timeline (24p, 59.94p), speededit will not place each frame in it's respective field if you interpret the footage as progressive. That means 24p footage gets rendered out as 30p with every 5th frame being a duplicate of the fourth frame (yikes!) and 59.94p being rendered out as 30p, introducing unwanted judder. If you interpret the footage as fielded, motion gets rendered correctly, but you lose half vertical resolution. (Try this, make a DV 59.94p clip, place it in a 29.97i timeline, interpret it as 1st field interlaced and watch your resolution go down the drain). I hope this issue gets fixed soon. :)

imagic
05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes I know. I figure a fix is coming soon. I've been doing the final conversion from 59.94p to 29.97i elsewhere, after rendering a 59.94p file from SpeedEdit. This capability is very important to me.

Imagic: I do the same thing. There's a catch though. As of today, there's still a tiny problem with the way speededit handles progressive footage to render out as interlaced for DVD authoring. I've mentioned this before. When placing any progressive footage on an interlaced timeline (24p, 59.94p), speededit will not place each frame in it's respective field if you interpret the footage as progressive. That means 24p footage gets rendered out as 30p with every 5th frame being a duplicate of the fourth frame (yikes!) and 59.94p being rendered out as 30p, introducing unwanted judder. If you interpret the footage as fielded, motion gets rendered correctly, but you lose half vertical resolution. (Try this, make a DV 59.94p clip, place it in a 29.97i timeline, interpret it as 1st field interlaced and watch your resolution go down the drain). I hope this issue gets fixed soon. :)