PDA

View Full Version : Scene Object saved as one object

AJGoodwin
04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I realize that this may be in here somewhere already, however since there is no good way to search for it, here is the question.

Say I create a complex room in Studio with component models, tables, chairs, lamps, etc... and that scene is done. Down the road I find out the project requires me to take that room rotate it 90 degrees and attach it to another room and render some new frames. Obviously I can load the objects from the scene into the new one, but unless I have set up a complicated parent structure, which does not appear to work anyway, I have to literally rebuild that room rotated.

So here is the point of the above explanation. When I am done constructing and object out of parts and layers in Studio, is it possible to select all objects and save it out as one object? I need the freedom to move the components until the Film director agrees he likes the setup and lighting, so an entire static model in modeler has major disadvantages [tough to adjust], even with layers. So if this does not exist, I sure as heck hope it is added soon, a fair number of other 3D programs can do it, and it seems simple enough to me, but I can not find where to save it out that way in Studio.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but any help would be appreciated.

liquidpope
04-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Saving everything as one object... I wouldn't recommend that.
If you load all your objects into a new scene, you should parent everything to a null object, named appropriately. Like "Room 01 Null", for instance.
You can then still separately rearrange the objects within the room. If you need to relocate or rotate the entire room and it's contents, you just move and rotate the null. Very easy to set up.

Step 1 - build the objects
Step 2 - load into layout
Step 3 - add null object and name it
Step 4 - parent all objects to the new null (even lights, if you want)
Step 5 - save the scene

liquidpope
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I regularly use "load items from scene" with much more complex parenting and rigging, expressions, everything. Never had a problem with it.

AJGoodwin
05-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the information, I will see if i am missing something in the parenting process. I was already doing something similar and it was not keeping the parent structure, it is possible I did not complete a specific step to make sure it works. Heck this may just be fixed in 9.2.

liquidpope
05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't have LW here at work, so I can't do any testing until I get home tonight. It's not a 9.2 thing though, so I can't imagine what the problem might be.
You're losing the parenting relationships altogether when you load items from scene?
Are you loading the scene from Studio? 'Cause that probably won't work...
You need to load the Studio models into modeler, then save them as .lwo files.

Extent
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Make sure that "parent in place" is on. That will leave all objects in their spots when you change the parenting, otherwise it snaps everything to the origin of the new parent.

If it's breaking your hierarchies make sure that you've only reparented the root object of each hierarchy