PDA

View Full Version : Crate rows?

BazC
04-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Does anyone see the advantage of this tool? It seems to do pretty much do what extender plus does except it has a target point. Wouldn't it have been better to add a target option to extender plus?

I'm trying not to be negative here but this seems to be yet another example of "Lets add another tool that does nearly (but not quite!) the same as another tool we already have.

Or am I missing something?

Sensei
04-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Extender Plus is non interactive tool, without any options.. You basically have one or more edges selected, and interactive Move tool enabled, and keep moving mouse and pressing 'e'.. If they would change this workflow to have options to adjust, this would piss off really huge amount of people that uses above very-easy-and-quick way of working.. Are not you using Extender for edge extending too often?

BazC
04-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Extender Plus is non interactive tool, without any options.. You basically have one or more edges selected, and interactive Move tool enabled, and keep moving mouse and pressing 'e'.. If they would change this workflow to have options to adjust, this would piss off really huge amount of people that uses above very-easy-and-quick way of working.. Are not you using Extender for edge extending too often?

I'm all for keeping things simple and I'm not convinced how useful that target option is. You can always move or scale the points into position. But even assuming the target option is really useful it could have been added to Extender Plus without making it any slower or more complex to use. Forget LWs typical ungainly options box simply add a modifier key or right click if you want the target option. With left click it could continue to work exactly as it does now.

That wasn't my whole point though. It seems to be another example of adding tools for the sake of it when we've been told NT would be streamlining an already bloated toolset.

Ztreem
04-30-2007, 04:33 AM
I think the only thing needed to make the tool useful is a snap tool, then you can extend the edge with extender and with snap activated you can get it to snap to the target points, merge and you're done. That's a nice fast and flexible workflow instead of a numreric menu with tons of options. I don't know why Newtek don't make some powerful snap tools for LW, it would make the modeling workflow so much better. Maybe I should install LWCAD 1.5, it seems nice. But I would prefer native tools.

EXOSOUL
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
maybe you should install LWCad 1.5... is very helpfull, it is now so attached to my toolset that I feel like I can't work with out it. ( waiting on LWCad 2.5. right now :D )

Silkrooster
04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
The advantange of the create rows tool is to create polygons on an object when the outside point is missing. You no longer have to create a 3 point poly and then add the 4th point and move the point to position.
Silk

Ztreem
05-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Do you have screenshot to explain? I've tried the tool once and I didn't understand it and it felt unpredictable.

Silkrooster
05-01-2007, 03:03 AM
I found out it does make a difference on the point order.
Silk

Philbert
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
maybe you should install LWCad 1.5... is very helpfull, it is now so attached to my toolset that I feel like I can't work with out it. ( waiting on LWCad 2.5. right now :D )

I agree, I got LWCad 1.5 with my LW9 purchase and then a couple months ago I bought 2.1. I barely model without it any more, especially now that 2.1 has polygonal tools like the realtime boolean and can snap to anything even on background layer.

Matt
05-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Read the 'What's New' PDF, it shows you in there (found in Registration -> My Downloads).

Personally, I don't think I'll ever use this tool though.

neverko I TOTALLY agree with you about the Untangle tool, I was quite excited by this at first, as it's a tool I've always wanted, but was disappointed to find it doesn't work on curved surfaces.

Tony3d
05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't understand this tool either.

Silkrooster
05-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't know how to make it any clearer. Hmmm.. Take an organic object, select 4 polys that make up a square and delete them. Now try to put just one poly back in. The center point is no longer there. This tool will create the point for you.
It just speeds up the process a little.
Silk

Sensei
05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
I've made video showing how to use this tool..
http://www.sharecg.com/view.php?upload_id=2789

Tony3d
05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I've made video showing how to use this tool..
http://www.sharecg.com/view.php?upload_id=2789

Hi, Thanks for the video! I tried it and it works except I can only get it to replace one polygon at a time, no matter how many points I select. Am I missing a step?

Sensei
05-02-2007, 04:24 AM
What happens if you select more than 3 points?

Tony3d
05-02-2007, 04:37 AM
It's definately not working right on a Mac. I select 4 or 5 points go up row select my last point and only get one poly connected.

Sensei
05-02-2007, 05:05 AM
And you're selecting top row points from left to right, and then bottom single at the end, right? Point order is essencial for this tool..

Tony3d
05-02-2007, 05:17 AM
And you're selecting top row points from left to right, and then bottom single at the end, right? Point order is essencial for this tool..

Yes I am. I select across so many points from left to right, then come back and select my last point. It's to bad because it's a nice tool to have.

Ztreem
05-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Sensei. Thanks for the video, I just used the tool and it works. Even if I can do exactly the same thing with extender.

Sande
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I think the only thing needed to make the tool useful is a snap tool, then you can extend the edge with extender and with snap activated you can get it to snap to the target points, merge and you're done. That's a nice fast and flexible workflow instead of a numreric menu with tons of options. I don't know why Newtek don't make some powerful snap tools for LW, it would make the modeling workflow so much better. Maybe I should install LWCAD 1.5, it seems nice. But I would prefer native tools.

Quoted for agreement. I simply don't understand how NewTek has not yet added a working snapping system to LW. LWCAD is nice (and does a lot more than just snapping), but we need a system which works with all the native tools and all the viewports (including UV-viewport).

At the moment the modeller feels a bit 1990's when it comes to the featureset, but I guess we are on the right path - the new devteam has restored a lot of my lost faith... :)

Silkrooster
05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
It's not always left to right. The first point selected is the same edge as the destination point.
Silk

lardbros
05-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Hmmm, pretty poor tool in my opinion. Yes it works, but it has MANY drawbacks. How about an option to weld the points afterwards??? Not difficult surely?!?! Why can't you do this with more than one row?? Should be called create column, or create row, not rows!!

Wish Newtek would stop adding lacklustre tools, especially when 3rd party modelling tools are outdoing newtek by miles! Just a quick look at the Dstorm website or TrueArt and the tools are far more complex than anything Newtek has implemented into Modeller for a LONG time. Rounder is impressive, but again, it was originally 3rd party and hasn't been touched for a very long time!! Disappointed with Newteks modeller additions. I realise they will concentrate on Modeller in coming releases, but until then i just wish they hadn't bothered, it leaves me wondering what they are actually capable of?! They have done great things in Layout, but just hope so much that they can pull off the VERY difficult task of getting modeller up to speed!!