PDA

View Full Version : texture

brender
04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
is there a program that you can export lightwave files to that is just a textureing program?and how easy is lightwaves texturing?

warrenwc
04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Don't know about easy, but it's extremely versatile.
Texturing in Lightwave is one of my favorite pastimes.

BazC
04-30-2007, 12:34 AM
If you're talking about procedural textures no, as far as I know procedural textures cannot be imported or exported in any app with the possible exception of Renderman compliant renderers (PRMan, Aqsis, 3Delight etc). In most 3d apps you have to bake procedural textures (turn them into images) to export them. If you mean painting textures, sure Photoshop, Paintshop Pro or any other image editing app can be used to produce textures for Lightwave.

Procedural texturing in Lightwave is as easy as any other app I've used and more powerful than many. The combination of layer based surfacing along with node based makes for a very versatile system that can be as simple or complex as you want.

Amurrell
04-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Like BazC said, if you're talking about just applying some sort of image based map to a model as a texture, whether it be for color, bump, or anything else, use Photoshop or something similar and apply the texture in LightWave. I use Photoshop a lot for this type of thing. There are several tutorials out there that show you how to create and apply textures to objects, whether they are projection maps, UVs or whatever.

There are other applications that can help you 'paint' on a model like Body Paint or even ZBrush that lets you create all sorts of textuing ready to be exported to LightWave.

(My avatar is nodal textuing done completly in LightWave and took all but 2 min. to set up.)