PDA

View Full Version : Help with Text and bones, newbie

eagleeyed
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Hello, this is the first time I have attempted this having not used LW much and am running into a bit of strife and need your advice.

I am currently creating the word Teachme and needs to be able to bend, move etc naturally. I have tried putting bones in the letters but then run into the now obvious problem of not enough polygons.

I have tried Subpatch but to no pervail. It distorts the letters sides and I do not know of a way to fix it without distorting the letter itself.

I am wondering if there is an easier way to ad polygons to the letters that will not distort them, probably there is a simple answer but I cannot find it.

I am using 9.2 now if there are any new features that can help me out.

Thanks for all your help in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

Eagleeyed.
From the guy named Stewie.

WilliamVaughan
04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Maybe try using Julliene (Multiply/Subdivide/more) This will slice up your object giving it more segments .....You could also use the Knife tool and manually slice multiple segments into your letters.

The idea here is to give the object enuff segments so that when th ebones deform the letter it can be a nice bend....

eagleeyed
04-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help Proton. Am trying it now.
Really appreicate it.

EDIT: Thank you so much, Did exactly what I needed it too.

SplineGod
04-30-2007, 12:19 AM
The problem youll run into is that the faces of your letters will not allow bending or twisting if theyre single polys with multiple sides. Youll have to create a grid object and use the text as a cutting tool. The idea is to create text that is compatible with subdivision surfaces. Once you cut into the grid you can clean it up a bit and then extrude that and then turn on subpatches.

prospector
04-30-2007, 01:57 AM
As the splinegod, wouldn't it be better to run splines along the letters and leave small spaces at the ends for the cross splines giving him 4 splines, then setting patch to make smooth?
Then extrude?

Dodgy
04-30-2007, 02:55 AM
I tend to use splines to make spline patches which gives me a nice even mesh for subpatches.

prospector
04-30-2007, 06:34 AM
yea me too, which surprised me that splinegod didn't mention it.
And he is always in front of the curve

SplineGod
05-02-2007, 12:54 AM
If youre creating text the letters will be ngons so when you try and twist or deform them with bones they wont hold up. Turning on CC subds doesnt help.
This means you have to create letters out of a grid and Solid drill works very well for that.

eagleeyed
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all your advice everyone. It has really came in handy.