PDA

View Full Version : ion engines

jnddepew
04-29-2007, 04:28 PM
does anyone know what a good way to make ion engines (on a spaceships) would be? are there any tutorials. i'd sort of like to stay away from particles because of calculating and rendering times.

djlithium
04-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I might be able to help you out.
Do you you have a look that you are going for? Fire off an example to me at [email protected] or do a descriptive detail of it here as to what you would want it to look like and I could help you out a bit more.

Kat.

Amurrell
04-29-2007, 09:13 PM
As a head start, you could use volumetric lights with a texture applied.

djlithium
04-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Well thats obvious but, I was looking at a kind of style to suite. Like for example on BSG we had engines for the raiders which were very different than the ones for the vipers and other ships.
Big ships usually have different engine types with the shapes of their plumes extending out longer than most and having more of an edge to them around the sides of the engine blocks.

0scrooge0
04-30-2007, 01:44 AM
does anyone know what a good way to make ion engines (on a spaceships) would be? are there any tutorials. i'd sort of like to stay away from particles because of calculating and rendering times.

On a P4 or more, render times should be no problem.

Amurrell
04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry for pointing out the obvious. Sometimes it's those things that are missed.

jnddepew
05-03-2007, 12:38 PM
umm... how do you apply a texture to a volumetric light? (newbie)

eidetiken
05-04-2007, 12:06 AM
heh... I made an ionic propulsion system for my science fair class and won first place in physics for it, in 1978. Recreated it from a Popular Mechanics article about Alexander Seversky in 1964. It gave off no light, you could hear electicity crackling around the foil and thats it. Not even a Tesla effect. Under certain conditions I would get an arc but rarely. I made a couple later on that were gas supplied, in those the gas chamber glowed a very dim pale blue almost neon, but it was only visible through a glass shield and there was no visible glow or visible external light. What was interesting was the different tones you could get out of them. Guess it just depends if your going for realism or not I suppose.

Sarford
05-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Here is a picture of a real one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ion-engine-NASA.jpg

eidetiken
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Interesting... wonder what it looks like when they put the collar housing back on it.

jnddepew
05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
so that's not a science fair project, it's a real NASA thing. that means i should make them look like that because that's the closest thing we can get to what a engine on a large ship would be like. so... how do you do the light thing again?

jnddepew
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
never mind. i figured out.

shrox
05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Yep, it's just a basic glow, ions are too small to see the individual particles streaming out.