PDA

View Full Version : OT, so I cant watch tv...

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I am pissed off.
My wife is from the US and we are living together in Austria. She is perfect and we are very happy with each other, but... We cant watch TV together. It is impossible.
The reason is: She does not speak any German and there is no english TV- channels on here (my english is good enough for me to watch any english TV show as long as noone is speaking ebonics).
So I am not really a person who is to much into watching TV anyway, usually. But after 2 years without it (and just the occasional DVD), I would really like to watch some of the new shows, or get just some cheap and mindless entertainment every now and then. Especially when it is pouring like today and it is a sunday too (so nothing is open here) and there is really nothing else to do.
So I thought, well lets go on the webpages of one of the US networks and see whether they have some episodes of their shows on. And, oh happy surprise, they do! Awesome, "Yeah, love, we can watch some of the new shows and have a fun cuddly TV- evening!". So we decide to watch FOXs new show drive (kinda cool since Zoic put some nice LW-FX into that one).
So we cuddle together, I start the video and then this "Thank you for your interest in MySpace.com TV. This service is currently unavailable to viewers living outside the United States". GREAT!
ABC.com: Same thing "only viewers from the United States can watch these full length episodes". Anyway, the same is happening on NBC, or any TV- channel that offers to watch full episodes online.
You know, I would not mind commercials, or anything. I want to watch the shows legally, but I CANT!
What am I supposed to do? Download the stuff illegally?
Not going to do that. Not just because it is illegal, but really, I dont want to go through all that trouble for watching a stupid tv show...
In any case, I feel discriminated, really, I do and thats pissing me off. In addition to that, I think it is idiotic, because it is a lost business opportunity for those channels.
CU
Elmar

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I would just put this into context with any lawsuits against Youtube (ridiculous, at that videoquality watching anything on there would be nothing but a pain!) and all the other discussions about illegal downloads, DRM and all the other anti piracy measures, I do have to wonder, really...
CU
Elmar

Lightwolf
04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, being in the media biz yourself, you should know about licensing restrictions.

In some cases an anonymizing proxy may do wonders though ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I tried that already, but first I dont want to use measures like these and second they dont work with flash, it seems (or I dont get how to use that stuff anyway).
I dont care about all that licensing stuff. My customers never had to deal with that with anything they bought from us, because I myself think it is stupid to complicate everyones lives with crap like that. I just want to watch some tv on a rainy sunday evening.
Is that to much to ask for from life?
CU
Elmar

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Why, with DRM, DVDs that dont work on DVD- players, TVshows that I cant watch, Audio CDs that cant be called audio CDs anymore because they feature copyprotection and therefore wont play on half of the worlds CD- players. Stores that dont want to take them back (its not broken, just not working, blah) is entertainment in this world becoming less and less entertaining?

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Forgot to add region code to the list...
Another stupid thing. I for one am not going to buy a HD-DVD player with region code. Just not going to happen.

mattclary
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Thus, a huge motivation to pirate vs. doing things legally. And the studios just don't get it.

Lightwolf
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Get a decent english non-DRM region free book, light up a candle, get a bottle of red and have a nice evening ;)

And yes... I'm more or less boycotting the whole media industry for the same reasons at the moment... I just can't be bothered anymore.

Cheers to Graz,
Mike

P.S. TV is a good way to learn a foreign language... *ducks*

cresshead
04-29-2007, 01:29 PM
i packed up my tv this month and put it into storage...mainly due to the terrible tv programs we now have offered to us in the uk.

i'd sooner watch dvd's of say battlestar galactica

for some online programs you can watch old re runs of films over on www.channelchooser.com and for the news i use reuters news online video.

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, we do watch DVDs a lot (most of them here have an english audio track), but with all that DRM stuff you need to be careful what you are buying or you might end up with a DVD that does not want to play on your DVD- player and as I said, with the return policies of stores here this can be a real big problem, as you cant return them if you realize they dont play on your DVD- player. In addition to that, it can get quite expensive if you have to buy everything on DVD. E.g. the first season of House is 50(!) Euros here!
I dont mind spending that much money on a DVD, but if I end up getting one that does not work, thats quite an expensive non- entertainment (luckily this one worked fine though).
CU
Elmar

omeone
04-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I know TV's crap, but now and again its nice to just sit and veg...

Anyway Elmar, I would say you can recieve all the BBCs from the Astra satellite. It is a once off payment for the hardware, but it's only once off. I think its the best Network on the planet, and of course - commercial free.

I know there might be planning restrictions on the dish, but if you can't recieve a certain number of channels in your wife's native language - I think there is an EU law that gives you permission to erect one.

My own situation is ridiculous - I have had to go for the satellite reciever and dish to get BBC, which I don't pay any license fee for, and I get all their wonderful programming and interactive services free. Yet, I MUST pay a TV license to a broadcaster and network that I cannot physically recieve, and is also funded by commercials - and would rarely watch.

Astra info:
http://www.brymar.co.uk/info/Astra/astra_sky/astra_sky.html

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Omeone, thanks for the reply.
I actually bought a digital satellite receiver recently in order to do just that. All I get are the english news channels though (and watching them rarely is entertaining ;)). I was trying to get the BBC but for some reason it does not seem to work.
Is that channel encrypted? If so, I would have to get a new receiver (the one I have does not work for that).
Cresshead, thanks for the link, I will make sure to check it out!
CU
Elmar

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, books are good, but it is kinda hard to do this together with my wife, which is something I want to do.
I mean there are plenty of other activities and we do all sorts of things, but here in Austria it can be difficult sometimes.
E.g. nothing is open on a Sunday and if it rains, you are pretty much screwed when it comes to outdoor activities. On some days I am also to tired after work to do anything "big". So what do you do? We are playing computergames together sometimes (like games with multiplayer coop options, or adventuregames where we can solve the puzzles together, which is fun).

Illegal downloads are just not my thing either. Being in the industry myself does not help with making me want to do this. I am willing to sit through commercials and all that (I understand that tv shows need to be financed), but not even that is possible for me.
Anyway, I will check whether I can get the BBC once more. Maybe I can get that to work.
CU
Elmar

Bog
04-29-2007, 02:27 PM
It's infuriating isn't it? And maybe with international viewership figures for things we're eagerly awaiting (EG, Drive) then maybe they wouldn't get cancelled after four *$("ing episodes.

Grrrr. GRR, I say!

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 02:29 PM
They cancelled Drive?
CU
Elmar

Bog
04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
So I heard - after four whole episodes. So something new with Zoic, Tim Minear and Cap'n Tightpants all in one place, canned in record time even for Fox.

I think I blew some capilliaries in my eyes over that one. If it turns out to be a false rumour, I'll be delighted and have to beat someone savagely with a Truth-flavoured cluestick.

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh dear!
I am kinda glad I did not watch it then (I hate it if I dont know the ending to a story). Was it that bad? It sounded really cool from what I heard and saw (and I love the main actor, he ruled in Firefly and as Caleb in Buffy).
CU
Elmar

Bog
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Just looked up some confirmation, yeah it's been canned. Remind me to dump laxatives in the drink of the next Fox executive I meet....

Lightwolf
04-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, books are good, but it is kinda hard to do this together with my wife, which is something I want to do.

Well, that's what the candle and the wine were going to lead to... nudge, nudge... oh well, I suppose I didn't plant enough smileys to mark that as a rather silly suggestion ;)

:chicken: How about a chicken instead?

Cheers,
Mike

Exception
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
It's a (successful) scheme by the EU to protect europeans from being brainwashed by american mediocrity ;)

Then again, if you're looking for it, you should be able to get it :)

How about a satellite dish?
Don't you have cable in Graz?

Or yes, a :chicken: would be good.

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Of course there is always time for candles and wine and all that ;)
But geez, not 24 hours a day...
;)
Yes we do have a satellite dish, as I said, but there is very few English channels on (other than CNN, CNBC, Sky1 and other news channels).
I cant set the dish to a different a satellite since I am in an appartment building and I have no control over it...
The cable network here does not provide any English channels at all (other than CNN, I believe).
CU
Elmar

Exception
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
CU
Elmar

Well, then you're stuck with the :chicken:.
He's good company, has some sharp stories 'n all.

newsvixen8
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
As tough as your situation is, I feel equally poor, living right here in the land of the free and STILL not having anything stimulating to watch. "Drive" cancelled?!?!? I was just starting to get over the loss of "Studio 60," the most intelligent thing on since the short-lived "Sports Night." I might as well live in Austria, where the skiing is good.
So it's back to my "Firefly" DVD's... Sigh...

omeone
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Sounds like your dish is pointed to 19E (http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html) instead of 28E (http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html).

You might still be lucky though, I can pick up both on mine, so it might just be a matter of setting the Receiver to Search on 28E

There are some other settings too (dish related, I think) but if you can anything from 28E, then a bit of trial and error should get you the rest of the way.

I really empathise, having spent a lot of time in Germany with very little German. And even my own wife, who is German but with perfect English - sometimes just doesnt want to have to concentrate that little bit extra. Hey, watching TV is a time to be lazy.

omeone
04-29-2007, 06:19 PM
oh well, looks like dish size in Graz needs to be 200cm :(
http://www.beitinger.de/sat/astra_2d.html

Exception
04-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I havn't had TV for 12 years, and seem to be doing allright. (merely superficial wellbeing of course, I am slowly decaying on the inside due to tv-lackness)

I buy a DVD set of a good series every now and then. Carnivale was the last... wonderful.

That's not going to help much, sorry :(
But if you havn't seen that yet, perhaps buying that will give you a few weeks respite.

Bog
04-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Without wishing to steal Elmar's lamentation, I do hope that there's some fundamental change in the way TV is produced. It seems like we're sinking under a beige morass of reality TV, cruddy soap operas, and that the current life-span of anything either sci-fi related or story driven is about half a season. Hearing about Studio 60 getting canned elicits a little "oomph" of pain from me, as I was really looking forward for something to fill The West Wing's void.

I used to love TV. Now, the set only gets switched on at weekends when t'other half wants to catch up to her soaps (and I sit here in my studio with my headphones clamped to my skull).

More actual creative storytelling means more stimulating viewing, and as a rule means more work for Us Lot.

Hum. The Video Toaster started us down the road where pretty much any viewing could theoretically be as effects-heavy as we liked. Wonder if NewTek can come up for a replacement for commissioning editors and studio execs who buy ten series' of drivel for every Drive, and when (shock horror!) they realise they've gotten something fresh and new go and cancel it in a panic.

Anyroad, end rant. Elmar, it's not just you. Sitting here in Blighty, not only are we years behind the US on our viewing schedules, Sky decided to up their prices unilaterally so the biggest cable provider in the UK wouldn't be able to carry 'em. So no Stargate, no Atlantis, and of course no Battlestar Galactica.

:twak: :2guns: 8/ :compbeati and indeed :bangwall:

philipsavage
04-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Have you tried internet radio for entertainment. Worldwide broadcast are readily available through the internet. My favorite is http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7. You can either listen live or choose programmes that were broadcast in the last 6 days.
Content is an all British mix of comedy, drama and books, all of the high standard you would expect from the BBC.
I'm not sure if it's available outside the Uk, but if it is, it's worth giving it a try.

Elmar Moelzer
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Dont worry Mark, I am about as upset about the quality of todays tv- shows as you are.
We are even further behind on TV than you guys though (things need to be dubbed first too).
Like many here, I rarely watch tv, but every now and then, I really miss just turning on the box and consuming anything. Happens especially when I am exhausted after a few really stressful days at work (when I am so tired that I am incapable of doing anything that requires a brain, or physical activity).
Thanks for checking anyway, Colin.

CU
Elmar

cholo
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
I spend 90% of my spare time at the movies. Luckily for us, here in mexico, movies are subtitled instead of dubbed, which is a GOOD thing.There would be nothing worse than watching the curse of the golden flower in spanish ;)

Tzan
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Just looked up some confirmation, yeah it's been canned. Remind me to dump laxatives in the drink of the next Fox executive I meet....

Uhg! That was shaping up to be very good.

cholo
04-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Btw, I still mourn the loss of "dead like me" and "action"

Exception
04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
There's also stuff starting to appear like joost.com ... might be worth looking into?

Bog
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Someday... someday... someday.

toby
04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Try Guba.com? I've never tried it, but there seems to be tv shows legally available. Hopefully it works outside the US

Stooch
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Turn on history, discovery or TLC channels, they rarely use ebonics and usually enrich your mind with useful information.

newsvixen8
05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
A glimmer of hope, Bog! New info says "Studio 60" is returning for a few more episodes, approx. May 24. Maybe if we view energetically enough we can actually keep this on the air!