PDA

View Full Version : merge UV MAPs into one UV map .how?

tyrot
04-28-2007, 02:55 PM
dear wavers

ok i have a character with bunch of UVmaps. I must Merge those UVmaps into one single UVmap and then i can export it to game engine..

I have just noticed that our UVmapping tools are ultimately confusing. Answer could be right there, but i cant find it. Copy-Paste UVs are not working..i tried other things (after a long search) nothing helped me.

Is there anyone here who can explain this process?

i need an urgent help.

BEST

tyrot
04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
dear wavers

and additionally when i try to build a MAKE UVs, it is not building the UVMAP in the selected UVMAP but creating another one. Can anybody confirm that too on 9.2 ?

best

Sensei
04-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I can merge two UVs by selecting one from drop-down T button, then press Map > Edit Maps > Copy Vertex Map.. and enter name of target vmap.. LightWave fills this field by new unique name, you normally just need to strip number from sufix and voila..

StereoMike
04-30-2007, 06:01 AM
hehe, thanks Sensei! I always tried it with "copy uvmap" and that never worked, so i thought it was broken. Thanks to you I now finally understand how to do nice UVs!

mike

tyrot
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
dear sensei

i have tried exactly you said but it is not working..

Ok here is the deal..I have a character..She has hair, body and props UVmaps. I want to merge them all into body or a separate one.

No matter what i do, i cant make it.

Because when you Copy Vertex map , it Doesnt MERGE with the One you wish. It is creating a NEW fresh UV map with same name.

Gosh...What is wrong here?

Best

Sensei
04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
hehe, thanks Sensei!

No problem :)

I always tried it with "copy uvmap" and that never worked, so i thought it was broken.

I tried Copy UV and it looks like it's broken, only show error message and does nothing else.. Report it to NewTek!

Thanks to you I now finally understand how to do nice UVs!

This trick/feature works everywhere were LightWave ask for vmap name, f.e. Make UV, but in this case you have to be more careful..

Because when you Copy Vertex map , it Doesnt MERGE with the One you wish. It is creating a NEW fresh UV map with same name.

I made little video tutorial for you, so you can see this on your own eyes.. :)
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tutorials/LightWave/Modeler/UVMapping_2/Files/TrueArt_Tutorial_LightWave_Modeler_UVMapping_2.mov 11 MB
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tutorials/LightWave/Modeler/UVMapping_2/Files/TrueArt_Tutorial_LightWave_Modeler_UVMapping_2.rar 2 MB
Use "Save File As.." instead of watching in web browser..

Gosh...What is wrong here?

Lack of sleep? ;) I said "enter existing vmap name"..

tyrot
04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
dearest sensei

i really really did enter the existing Vmap name...

and i really do appreciate for the video tut.

i will let you know...may be something gets overlap and i cant see it..who knows...

Thank you thank you
best

Sensei
04-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I have also older UV mapping video tutorial
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tutorials/LightWave/Modeler/UVMapping_1/Files/TrueArt_Tutorial_LightWave_Modeler_UVMapping_1.rar
Task showed in this video in LW v9+ can be replaced by using Map > Texture > Poly Map > New Quad Polygon Map, but it's good to know how to do this manually, for exercise..

tyrot
04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
dear Sensei

i have just followed your tut and it worked with other objects..Probably something wrong with the object i have here...

Thank you...

I guess i must ask to 3dworks about Quidam's exported characters. I guess there is a problem with Quidam's UV layout thing. That copy vertex Map simply causing Copies of the same UVmap over and over again.

thank you again...

But dont you find those UVmapping tool's names a bit confusing...and dont you think we need a one button :) merge UVs in one layer plugin :)

BTW How s the "hair plugin" doing overthere? I m getting bald but that doesnt mean my characters should share the same fate with me!

Best of best

Sensei
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Do you see any red dots in your UV maps?
Please attach pictures of UVs of object you're working.. if possible with LWO.. This will definitely clarify what's wrong..

tyrot
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
dear sensei

yes there are lots of red dots...My goodness it is full of red dots..i will send the object to you ASAP

best

Eventmobil
12-27-2016, 07:52 AM
No problem :)

I tried Copy UV and it looks like it's broken, only show error message and does nothing else.. Report it to NewTek!

This trick/feature works everywhere were LightWave ask for vmap name, f.e. Make UV, but in this case you have to be more careful..

I made little video tutorial for you, so you can see this on your own eyes.. :)
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tutorials/LightWave/Modeler/UVMapping_2/Files/TrueArt_Tutorial_LightWave_Modeler_UVMapping_2.mov 11 MB
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tutorials/LightWave/Modeler/UVMapping_2/Files/TrueArt_Tutorial_LightWave_Modeler_UVMapping_2.rar 2 MB
Use "Save File As.." instead of watching in web browser..

Lack of sleep? ;) I said "enter existing vmap name"..

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for this tutorial!!! It is so helpful, even 9 years after you posted it!!!
I had exactly the same problem (nowadays in Lightwave 11.6) where I need to merge many seperate little objects to one single and need to merge also their UV-Domains so I can re-arrange them to a single template.
I can't tell how grateful I am to have learnt this little trick from you :-)
Cheers from Charlie