PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to 9.2 my render times just went down by 50% :)

sammael
04-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Anyone else?

*Pete*
04-28-2007, 10:52 AM
50%??

you must be doing something wrong....my rendertimes have gone from infinite to a half an hour :)

give us details on your scene btw, id like to see where people see improvements in rendertimes.

sammael
04-28-2007, 11:11 AM
As for details, Im currently rendering out some character turnarounds for my demo reel. Before I installed 9.2 a standard pal resolution frame for the character im working on took over 3 mins, after the update 1min - 1min30s per frame. No radiosity, one area light, 2 spots and one distant light. Quite a complex node tree including kappa for SSS. 5 aa passes on standard camera.
1200 frames sequence was going to take around 37 hours, after update 16.5 hours.
So I guess its a bit better than 50% less, but anyway it came as a suprise to me and im verry happy :). Usually when they say reduced render times I dont notice much diference but this time its a massive improvement.

Once I have finished rendering my reel (eta 80-100 hours) :( I cant wait to render some of my more complex scenes which I abandoned because render times were getting up to 2 hours plus.

Giacomo99
04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I do print work, so per-frame increases mean nothing to me. I've noticed some speed improvement (maybe 20%.) I'm not complaining.

ShawnStovall
04-29-2007, 01:03 AM
It seems to very for me, it seems as though to get really good render times you need to mess with AA and AS settings. For instance, a scene I was just rendering took about 14 min with an AA setting of 20 and a AS setting of .01, but with AA down to 1 and AS the same it took only two minutes to render the scene with the same quality.

sammael
04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
It seems to very for me, it seems as though to get really good render times you need to mess with AA and AS settings. For instance, a scene I was just rendering took about 14 min with an AA setting of 20 and a AS setting of .01, but with AA down to 1 and AS the same it took only two minutes to render the scene with the same quality.

you got the same quality with AA20, AS.01 as you did with AA1, AS.01 or am I reading this wrong?

Captain Obvious
04-29-2007, 04:05 AM
How does 9.2 handle high-res (5k and up) renders with plenty of area lights and global illumination? I haven't had time to try it myself.

*Pete*
04-29-2007, 04:25 AM
you got the same quality with AA20, AS.01 as you did with AA1, AS.01 or am I reading this wrong?

That is correct.

AS in 9.2 will continue rerendering the scene removing more and more of the aliasing every time.

if you have AA set to 20, there will be less work for the AS, AS will most likely make only one fast pass to get what was left aliased..but your render will go 20 times slower becouse of the AA of 20.

AA set on 1, will leave AS to do all the hard work, AS might make half a dozen passes before it's done, the AS will take much much longer time on this scene, but then again...you rendered the scene without the 20 passes for AA, making your render (without AS included) 20 times faster.

but...a setting of 1 on the AA, will not give you anything for DOF, blurred reflection quality or motion blur (need different setting for motion blur than AA).

anyway...as said before, a good balance between AA and AS will give you the optimal rendertimes.

Dave Jerrard made a very good quide on AA and AS use.

yomi
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Could you please send a link to Dave jerradīs guide on this. I tried to find it in the forum but I couldnīt.
Thanks

Ztreem
04-29-2007, 05:07 PM
That is correct.

AS in 9.2 will continue rerendering the scene removing more and more of the aliasing every time.

if you have AA set to 20, there will be less work for the AS, AS will most likely make only one fast pass to get what was left aliased..but your render will go 20 times slower becouse of the AA of 20.

AA set on 1, will leave AS to do all the hard work, AS might make half a dozen passes before it's done, the AS will take much much longer time on this scene, but then again...you rendered the scene without the 20 passes for AA, making your render (without AS included) 20 times faster.

but...a setting of 1 on the AA, will not give you anything for DOF, blurred reflection quality or motion blur (need different setting for motion blur than AA).

anyway...as said before, a good balance between AA and AS will give you the optimal rendertimes.

Dave Jerrard made a very good quide on AA and AS use.

Actually an AA of 1-2 with the new AS system will give you nice motionblur and nice blurred reflection, it has worked perfect for me. Here's an example render with motionblur.

*Pete*
04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Could you please send a link to Dave jerradīs guide on this. I tried to find it in the forum but I couldnīt.
Thanks

it's on the beta forums, unfortunately...perhaps Dave could post it here also, it is very in depth and explains everything that you need to know.

Ztreem: intresting..i didnt know that, i render mostly still pictures without the need for MB, but it is intresting to know what AS is cabable of :)