PDA

View Full Version : A nice little logical problem

Dirk
04-28-2007, 07:46 AM
I want to animate a folding piece of paper... but parts of the paper will overlap, and it should be done for shockwave export, so it's basicly bones and weightmaps. Ok, it could be done with exchanging the objects during animation, but maybe there are other otions?

tischbein3
04-28-2007, 08:11 AM
If its a simple flat poly, morphs maybe the answer

Although you certainly need a lot of, (at least two for each folding process: half-folded (like in picture 2) and folded ).

The biggest problem with this method: If the thickness (of the paper) is to big, you will get unwanted distortions.

Dirk
04-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Can shockwave do morphs (have no idea)? But with morphs, the motion of the folding pieces would be linear, so I would need at least 7, maybe 9 for each folding process.

What I might try is to exchange the objects during the animation. Starting with the unfolded object, 2 or 3 bones with weightmaps to fold just one side, and when the side is folded, switching to a new obejct (saved the transformed), folding, etc. Would make 5 objects with 2 or 3 bones / weights each.

eugooglie
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
don't know if you've solved this problem, but I made a box, cut it up the way you have the paper cut in your image, applied weightmaps to each corner, and then added bones in the middle of the each fold section. Then I just rotated the bones 180 degrees in layout. I attached the scene and the object. It seems to look like what you're going for. Hope this helps.

eugooglie
05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
just a note, you should click double-sided on in the surface editor, but there is a problem.... it looks fine when rendered in lightwave, but it doesn't look right when you try to export it to shockwave

Dirk
05-03-2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks!

Well, the Shockwave thing was a misinformation, sry. I'ts not Shockwave, it shall be Flash in the end (it's for a web page, so I will need something like Swift3D for rendering), and the object shall have outlines, which makes things slightly complicated.

Problem is, if the object is perfectly flat in the end, the renderer will not know how to draw the outlines. And if the sides aren't "closed" entirely, they will intersect each other.

Otterman
05-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Shame-shockwave set up easy peasy with keyframeplayer. Just set each fold as a seperate layer and animate the fold. In shockwave, play each animation according to modelsunderloc! Flash-dunno!

Dirk
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtRwkV9I75w

evenflcw
05-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Nicely done.

So how did you rig and animate? Weightmaps and bones? Is the lag animated by hand with bones or is is a displacement modifier of some kind?

Dirk
05-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Only bones and weightmaps. The lag is animated by hand.

But it's actually 2 objects, where every object opens only 2 sides, I switch them in frame 40 (I think).

Dirk
05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
What's puzzling me is if this could have been done without exchanging the object.

Does anybody have an idea if that would be possible?