PDA

View Full Version : Recommended book on lighting...

starbase1
04-28-2007, 04:16 AM
I am most of the way through "Digital Lighting & Rendering" second edition, by Jeremy Birn, and I am seriously impressed with it.

It's not in any way specific to one application, though various programs get a mention, but in this case it is a real strength. He has an extremely clear writing style, and the book is very heavily illustrated with extremely well chosen examples, many of which are photos taken from the real world. Others have 'before and after' or maybe 'with and without' to show the effectiveness of the technique under discussion.

Now I am basic to maybe medium in my lighting skills, so maybe more advanced types will get less from it, but I would be seriously surprised if anyone did not get some very useful tricks.

There is also quite a lot on rendering and use of colour, and render times are kept in mind throughout. The appropriateness of techniques for different situations is well covered, for example why radiosity is more popular for architectural than character lighting.

It's really nice to have a graphics book where I don't have to be sat in front of a PC, pressing a sequence of keys and entering numbers.

Heartily recommended to anyone who wants to take their lighting skills up a notch or three.
Nick

colkai
04-28-2007, 06:50 AM
I have both this and Nik Boughens Lightwave8 Lighting.
All I need to do now is understand 'em enough to put them to use hehe..

Me thick? you betcha!

krimpr
04-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Colkai: You'd better move your bird. I think that cat may deplume it.

colkai
04-28-2007, 10:40 AM
hehe, not Storm, he's a pudding! :)

Bog
04-29-2007, 04:15 AM
I had a look through Nick's copy on Friday - just what the doctor ordered!

ISBN 0-321-31631-2

colkai
04-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Good books both, once I've completed some other things, it's my next port of call to work on this, though some good info on handling the new lighting with the new AA is now needed for plebs such as myself. ;)

Matt
04-29-2007, 05:39 AM
I have both editions of that book, essential reading for anyone doing 3D!

rdolishny
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I am most of the way through "Digital Lighting & Rendering" second edition, by Jeremy Birn, and I am seriously impressed with it.
Nick

I wanted to bring this back to the forefront with the 9.5 announcement regarding in particular lighting.

I have finally bought this book and agree it is essential reading.

Of particular note to the LW community is that everything he talks about applies to your work with Lightwave. He doesn't mention LW necessarily, but the concepts and workflow applies. Plus, more often than not he simply refers to making things look a certain way using your own power of perception.

The use of selective lights for things like eye glints is just one industry secret that totally works in LW.

wavemaster
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
these links are very informative...

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm
http://www.warpedspace.org/lightingT/part1.htm

JeffrySG
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I actually picked up a used copy of the 1st edition of the lighting book and loved it! Also recommended! :)

thanks for those two links wavemaster! very cool!

wavemaster
03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I actually picked up a used copy of the 1st edition of the lighting book and loved it! Also recommended! :)

thanks for those two links wavemaster! very cool!

I actually learned more about lighting from those links then the 3 books that I bought!
I have vowed not to by anymore training, because the last 5 times I have been very disappointed...

caccipergolo
03-07-2008, 03:00 AM
"Digital Lighting & Rendering" is a good book, well explained and funny to read
(from a non english-speak point of wiev...).
See, i'm not a rendering geek and it helps me alot for lighting logos and stuff here at work, cause it explain the foundamentals pretty well.

lardbros
03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
I have both editions of that book, essential reading for anyone doing 3D!

I bought the first edition 5 or 6 years ago, is it worth getting the 2nd one too then? I assumed that it wouldn't have that much extra in it, but if it has plenty more to get my teeth into, i'll go and grab it right away!

JeffrySG
03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I actually learned more about lighting from those links then the 3 books that I bought!
I have vowed not to by anymore training, because the last 5 times I have been very disappointed...
I started to read through them now. I'm going to add them to my list of favorite links on my links/tutorial web page this weekend! Thanks again! Very useful info there!

JeffrySG
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I bought the first edition 5 or 6 years ago, is it worth getting the 2nd one too then? I assumed that it wouldn't have that much extra in it, but if it has plenty more to get my teeth into, i'll go and grab it right away!
I was kind of wondering the same thing. That's why I bought the 1st version used for about 6$.