PDA

View Full Version : How to turn on 'time calculation' that is appearing on the rendering menu?

bluemars
04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, right now, i'm trying to render ony of my scene, it's really big, over 1.5 millions of polys and it's an a4 size, i waited for an hour and yet the rendering screen is still black, the time calculatong says 'Not calculated', so how do i turn it on ? cause i want to know the estimate time of the rendering, thanks!

one last thing, is that normal to have over 1.5 millions of poly in a scene? radiosity is on, and i have 7 point lights and using mostly shadow maps and a few race trace lights ,!! so, can anyone estimate the time? 20 hours? days???

Bytehawk
04-28-2007, 05:39 AM
are you sure your computer has enough memory (ram) to render this image ?

imho
either your radiosity settings are too high/unoptimised
or you are paging to disk and the render will be reeeeeeaaaaalllly sloooowww

try a few lower (1/10th) resolution test renders with other radiosity settings to see what is the best way to render these.

You are using 9.2, right ?

Bytehawk
04-28-2007, 05:40 AM
and if nothing else works, do like me : render in Fprime :)

bluemars
04-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply, yeah my radaiosity is on default, how do i lower it? and does it reduce my render time? if so, what settings do i have change? thanks! and i have lightwave 9,!

Bytehawk
04-28-2007, 09:28 AM
the settings depend on your geometry complexity and scene size.

I'd suggest upgrading to 9.2 if you want to render with radiosity, the new version has an enormous speed boost and super configurability, new ways to render rad-scenes etc....

obviously keep the 9.0 installation in case your scene doesn't ransfer to the new version.