PDA

View Full Version : Node Editor is driving me nuts!

Tony3d
04-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have a preset for the dielectric glass? I'm going nuts trying to figure this thing out. Any help would be great. I really need to find a tutorial on the node editor.

OFF
04-27-2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56253&highlight=lede

cagey5
04-28-2007, 01:16 AM
The attached is a typical node set-up for Dielectric Glass.

Tony3d
04-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

Darth Mole
04-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Now why doesn't 9.2 come with a series of presets to show you this? How hard would it be for somone to generate a few examples for these new materials?

Ho hum.

Tony3d
04-30-2007, 03:35 AM
Now why doesn't 9.2 come with a series of presets to show you this? How hard would it be for somone to generate a few examples for these new materials?

Ho hum.

That's the truth! There installers are a joke also.

Gary Wales
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Do you know - I can't find a switch node/function in the ADD NODE list - can someone be kind enough to direct me to where it might be? Ta!

cagey5
05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Under materials.

Gary Wales
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
How many times did I look? Cheers!

Gary Wales
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one go about getting a specular highlight on dielectric material - you know how it is, connecting and disconnecting nodes until it looks right!

The 'material' node seems to override any further input...?

JeffrySG
05-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Ho hum.
Yeah, that really is essential, especially for things that are not super intuitive - like using that switch node in this case...

Captain Obvious
05-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Is it just me missing something obvious, or do you have to turn on double sidedness for the "polygon side" output to work properly? It does make sense, mind you, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not just an idiot.

jameswillmott
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one go about getting a specular highlight on dielectric material - you know how it is, connecting and disconnecting nodes until it looks right!

The 'material' node seems to override any further input...?

You need some Roughness, and your lights need to be quite bright (>100%) to see any specular highlights.

Yamba
05-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I just wanted to make sure I'm not just an idiot.

Yes, you turn on Double-Sided and you an idiot, never!

Gary Wales
05-09-2007, 03:05 AM
You need some Roughness, and your lights need to be quite bright (>100%) to see any specular highlights.

No - I'm just not getting a specular on my simple model no matter what I try. Roughness and bump will merely 'fuzz' the surface as you'd expect - but no specularity. I've thought it through, but I can't see how to get it - there's no specularity input for Dialectric, there is on on the inside polgons Standard node - but that won't show as it's inside.

Anyone...please...?

cagey5
05-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I may be talking out of the top of my head but as these are mathamatically accurate materials and specularity is a kludge to confer the appearance of a property the surface may not actually have then there is no need for specularity control, which is after all a combination of reflected light combined with the roughness of the surface to give a reflected highlight. If you get the lighting, environment and surface settings correct then you will get an accurate specularity spot. If you require something that isn't technically accurate then you will need to try something other than dielectric material.

But as I say... I may be talking out of my hat.

jameswillmott
05-09-2007, 05:00 AM
No - I'm just not getting a specular on my simple model no matter what I try. Roughness and bump will merely 'fuzz' the surface as you'd expect - but no specularity. I've thought it through, but I can't see how to get it - there's no specularity input for Dialectric, there is on on the inside polgons Standard node - but that won't show as it's inside.

Anyone...please...?

Dielectric calculates it's own specular level (equal to the strength of it's reflections, which is physically correct)

Try it again, you will need some Roughness, a Refractive Index greater than 1, your lights Specular setting turned on, and the light intensity to be quite high, the intensity in the attached image was about 800%. You can clearly see the specular hit on both balls.

jameswillmott
05-09-2007, 05:00 AM
I may be talking out of the top of my head but as these are mathamatically accurate materials and specularity is a kludge to confer the appearance of a property the surface may not actually have then there is no need for specularity control, which is after all a combination of reflected light combined with the roughness of the surface to give a reflected highlight. If you get the lighting, environment and surface settings correct then you will get an accurate specularity spot. If you require something that isn't technically accurate then you will need to try something other than dielectric material.

But as I say... I may be talking out of my hat.

Nope, that sounds spot on to me. :D

Gary Wales
05-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Cheers guys - I'll have a tinker.

That works great - I wasn't thinking the lights may need to be ramped up to quadruple figures!

Skritter
05-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Now why doesn't 9.2 come with a series of presets to show you this? How hard would it be for someone to generate a few examples for these new materials?

Ho hum.

We await you efforts. I am sure we will all appreciate you hard work.

Darth Mole
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Well if I knew how to use the node editor I would - hence my request for some presets. Duh...