PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Dongle on a PC?

wacom
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Will the Amiga dongle work on a PC if you have a parallel port on your PC? Anyone still stuck in the stone age like me?

prospector
04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Was there an Amiga dongle???
Thought toaster board was the dongle.

robewil
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, there was an Amiga parallel port dongle (still got mine). I don't think it's a sentinel dongle though so it probably can't be registered. Otherwise, it would have been too easy for Amiga users to migrate to the PC.

prospector
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Well I NEVER got one 8~

I WANT MY AMIGA DONGLE TOO !!!!!!

this just frosts my butt.

Ahh,seen it's for stand alone ver on Amiga which I never bought......
nevermind :D

Surrealist.
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Will the Amiga dongle work on a PC if you have a parallel port on your PC? Anyone still stuck in the stone age like me?

No but if you have a dongle from any previous version of LW you qualify for an upgrade. If you upgrade to 9.0 the dongle swap is free. Call Customer service and set it up. Make sure there is registration information on the serial number for that dongle.

I actually still have one too as at one time I have both PC and Amiga stand alone LW. V.4.0 was the first release of LW as a stand alone and they offered it for both platforms as well as Dec Alpha I believe, can't remember about Mac.

What I did with my PC version was that they actually were able to find my receipt of purchase in a hard copy from 1995! Then they entered that into the system so when I upgraded to 8.0 I was all set.

So just call them, get yourself registered with that dongle and then you are set for an upgrade. I don't think you could just swap though as you don't actually own an upgrade for that seat. But talk to NT about it and you'll get the correct answer.

I already talked to them about my Amiga dongle and they assured there would be no problem in registering it. But at the moment I have no need for another seat.

Surrealist.
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Well I NEVER got one 8~

I WANT MY AMIGA DONGLE TOO !!!!!!

this just frosts my butt.

That's because you probably did not buy the stand alone version.

Dave Jerrard
05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I actually still have one too as at one time I have both PC and Amiga stand alone LW. V.4.0 was the first release of LW as a stand alone and they offered it for both platforms as well as Dec Alpha I believe, can't remember about Mac.
Actually, 3.5 was the first stand-alone version of Lightwave, and was only available on the Amiga. 4.0 was the first multi-platform version, which ran on Windows (both intel and DEC Alpha), Mac, Sun, and SGI.

He Who Also Never Saw The Amiga Dongle Other Than The Toaster.

prospector
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Wonder if that would run on "Amiga Forever" ?

DiscreetFX
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
@prospector

It might be interesting to try, Amiga Forever does emulate the par port.

KSTAR
05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
@prospector

It might be interesting to try, Amiga Forever does emulate the par port.

If it did work, then firing up Adpro or ImageFx would seriously be kicking it old school :D

Makes me want to go dig out my HameE+ box and ImageMasterRT as well I still have it and Opalvision somewere in the dungeon. mmmmm Opal Paint.

iojabba
05-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I have not been able to get mine to work with amiga forever. I still have an amiga dongle from way back.

Surrealist.
05-24-2007, 02:20 AM
Actually, 3.5 was the first stand-alone version of Lightwave, and was only available on the Amiga. 4.0 was the first multi-platform version, which ran on Windows (both intel and DEC Alpha), Mac, Sun, and SGI.

He Who Also Never Saw The Amiga Dongle Other Than The Toaster.

Ha, well seeing as how you're the guy who still actually has all of his previous versions, I guess I'll have to say that must be correct. I seem to remember having 3.5 on my Toaster then I bought 4.0 PC , I don't remember 3.5 being stand alone, but as I said...you da man.

BeeVee
05-24-2007, 03:33 AM
I think the pins are different on the Amiga's parallel port, so it's not just a question of Amiga Forever not reading it, it's physically different. Actually, the first version of LightWave available hors Video Toaster was 3.1. It wasn't officially available, but it was the first version I could get in Europe, since the Video Toaster was NTSC-only. It had a dongle to emulate the Toaster made by a company humorously-called Industrial Might and Logic called LightRave.

B

archiea
05-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Sheesh talking about the Amiga really brings back memories... I really loved that system but I really hated being the underdog. I met alot of interesting people because it seemed like the amiga community brought out alot of people where weren't group thinkers or peer pressured. They were the odd balls the one who...thought different... hmmmm....

Anyway. It kinda pained me seeing the community dwindle during the mid to late '90's. All of the post commodore hotrodding, which at first was a fun way to speed up your machine and have some self expression, but then became some sort of computer darwin survival statistic.

No more Amiga conventions with the eclectic hardware. no more magazines.. the slow migration to windows and Dec alphas... It seemd that the amiga community got split: the folks who originally got into the Amiga because it was so far ahead of the game moved on to Dec Alphas and the like.. mainly the Lightwave contingent. those nostalgic who remained kinda resembled a ham radio club: ecelctic essentrics who loved to tinker with the technology....

CRAP, now computers are applicances.... those stacks of expensive barracuda SCSI drives hooked to flakey software with serial ports sending GPI's to Tape decks for recording to ANALOG tapes!! Man what were we thinking.... ah yes.. that our computers were GENLOCK-able!!! Remeber that? Now a consumer laptop will allow you to edit on its stock HD. Wow.