PDA

View Full Version : Ways to set up UV mappings

ZWF_BES
04-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello,

we got these tutorials on the NewTek site for UV maps:

Character UVs (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/character_UV/index.html)

and

simply UVs (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/uvmapping/index.html)

But are there any other ways to do the job ? What pros and cons are there in each way ?

What do you do if you have convoluted objects that need only one small (256x256) texture ?

Which tricks - if there are any - do you use to perfectly use the whole texture for your polys?

Dodgy
04-27-2007, 10:05 AM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

Best uv skinning and tools out there.

StereoMike
04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I know someone answered me that in another thread, but i can't find it.
So here's the question again:
How can I prevent points from being merged during a mirror command?
I model a boat and I want the middle to be merged by mirroring, but unfortunately other parts of the model (where i cut surfaces to avoid smoothing) getmerged in the mirrored part (and thus loose the sharp creases due to s smoothed surface)
I thought it has something to do woth morphmaps, but I tried a morph map for all points besides the x=0 points, tried a point selection set, all to no avail.
So I guess I mixed up the solution. A hint would be nice :)

Thanks in advance!

mike

prospector
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
check merge points OFF in mirror tool

StereoMike
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
No, hehe, Prospector, you must think I'm dumb as bread.
Of course my problem has nothing to do with that little tickbox. I can workaround my problem by unchecking "merge" and do a manual merge on the x=0 points.
But as I remember there's a way to enable "merge" in the mirrortool and have certain points actually _not_ merged. I'm looking for that way...

but thanks....
/bread

mike

meshpig
04-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Hello,

we got these tutorials on the NewTek site for UV maps:

Character UVs (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/character_UV/index.html)

and

simply UVs (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/uvmapping/index.html)

But are there any other ways to do the job ? What pros and cons are there in each way ?

What do you do if you have convoluted objects that need only one small (256x256) texture ?

Which tricks - if there are any - do you use to perfectly use the whole texture for your polys?

Have you tried using the UV projection type "Atlas"?

-Make parts or surfaces out of the object's most obvious planes and tick segment by %100 one or the other when saving the map.

M

Dodgy
04-30-2007, 04:36 AM
No, hehe, Prospector, you must think I'm dumb as bread.
Of course my problem has nothing to do with that little tickbox. I can workaround my problem by unchecking "merge" and do a manual merge on the x=0 points.
But as I remember there's a way to enable "merge" in the mirrortool and have certain points actually _not_ merged. I'm looking for that way...

but thanks....
/bread

mike

Add a morph map and move the points you don't want to be merged. The merge command doesn't allow you to merge points with different morph targets, and the mirror tool won't either....

StereoMike
04-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Does this work for say, a part on the left that is unweld (not laying on the mirrored axis). Will it be welded on the mirrored side?
When I tried it, it seems like that, I hope I did something wrong, if one of you could check if my aforementioned example works or not?

thanks

Dodgy
04-30-2007, 07:07 AM
If you move ANY points in the morph, it'll keep them separate in the mirror.

ZWF_BES
04-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Hello,

Have you tried using the UV projection type "Atlas"?

-Make parts or surfaces out of the object's most obvious planes and tick segment by %100 one or the other when saving the map.

M

No, i haven't tried that so far - will examine this feature today.

Thanks for the advice ! :-)

ZWF_BES
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Hello,

although there are OSX version on that site, i am not able to load these plugins into the modeller... :(

clintonman
04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I think these are really good uv tutorials.

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWPages/LWUVStart.html

ZWF_BES
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Hello,

I think these are really good uv tutorials.

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWPages/LWUVStart.html

Wow, this really is excellent, man! I wish i had known this at the beginning, but its still very useful now.

Should be a must foor all UV rookies.

Thanks for the link.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

acocq
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Hi Dodgy,
how does it compare to UV Edit Pro ?

Cheers,
Andreas

Dodgy
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't use UV editpro. That's how good they are. I've tried maya and stand alone UV unwrappers and the UVedit from plg is really easy to get really good results from.

This for example, was more or less what I got out of it first pass. I expanded the hands a little to give them more room, and rearranged the pieces to make more sense, but the layout of the uvs was basically this.

Dodgy
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
The best thing is you can choose the seams really easily using the point mode. You pick your start point with the LMB, and then an end point with the MMB, and the plugin tries to figure out the route between them. Once you've selected your seams, hit Make UV and it'll unwrap. If you're unhappy with the result, pick a couple of different edges and hit make UV again. The preset settings are usually good enough if you're smart about your seam placement.

Dodgy
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
And here's a cube, straight out of the plugin, to show a more mechanical unwrap.

particledecay
05-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Fantastic idea although very unstable on Lightwave 9 (build 822) Mac 32 Bit running on a G5 Dual 1.85Ghz PPC (OS X 10.4.9).

Of the 3 meshes I've tried - 2 would not work due to crashes and 1 was really, really good.

On the mesh that worked - wow. This unwrapped a head for me in a few seconds, and the UV map it created was very useable (although asymmetrical).

On the meshes that crash, Modeler quits as soon as I hit the OK button with no feedback or error message, or sits there and hangs for ages. I haven't figured out what the difference is in the mesh - I tried a variety of shapes. I tried fiddling with the plugin settings, reducing iteration and toggling most of the options like "Make Fast" etc. The meshes have roughly the same number of polys. I don't think I'm interested in testing any further and unfortunately, I won't be able to use this tool with this level of performance. Pity for me as it really does do a great job when it works.

Dodgy
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Get onto dstorm, as they did the mac port I believe.

ZWF_BES
05-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Hello,

i use Atlas mapping quite often now and it seems it behave different than the other mappings when it comes to endomorphs.

While e.g. planar mappings refer to the active endomorph of an object when you map it, Atlas seems to refer to the base, no matter what you do.

So you should first use Atlas and then arrange objects if you want a good UV mesh to work with.

meshpig
07-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Hello,

although there are OSX version on that site, i am not able to load these plugins into the modeller... :(

They work fine on Intel mac.

M

meshpig
07-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Hello,

i use Atlas mapping quite often now and it seems it behave different than the other mappings when it comes to endomorphs.

While e.g. planar mappings refer to the active endomorph of an object when you map it, Atlas seems to refer to the base, no matter what you do.

So you should first use Atlas and then arrange objects if you want a good UV mesh to work with.

With "Atlas" you just have a preset to spread it by part or by surface to a %, which is like an unweld.

-When you unweld though you can edit any independant poly etc.

M

jat
07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
so wait meshpig, are you telling me that the PLG plugins give you standard results every time on Intel Mac? Cause if they work well for you then your lucky because they don't for a whole bunch of us - I get crashes pretty much all the time. LAME.

jat
07-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I use a PPC G5 by the way....

meshpig
08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
so wait meshpig, are you telling me that the PLG plugins give you standard results every time on Intel Mac? Cause if they work well for you then your lucky because they don't for a whole bunch of us - I get crashes pretty much all the time. LAME.

No, not a %100 of the time, some of which is the user. But Intel is less stable than G5 PPC?

I have noticed if you make a second map on the same layer it crashes but that stands to reason.

M

Andyjaggy
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I was never able to unwrap more then a simple shape in OSX. They are totally stable on the PC side though.