PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 Final - Why is there no "Upgrade" option in the Installer?

aquinde
04-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Win 32 Version downloaded about an hour ago. File name still says "Beta" as has been discussed in previous threads today.

Anyhow...I'd really rather not have to install 9.2 as a separate app and go through the tedious process of installing all the plugins (so many!) that I use, and reconfigure the keyboard shortcuts and menus.

It looks like the installer prevents you from tricking it into installing in the 'LightWave 3D 9" folder. Part of why I didn't want to get involved with the Beta program at all is that I didn't want to deal with this sort of rigmarole.

Frankly I think I'm just going to wait a few days to see if NewTek offers an Istaller with an Upgrade option. Am I missing something??

prospector
04-26-2007, 06:19 PM
LW has never done that.
All you have to do is move old LW folder someplace else.
Install new LW
copy Plugin folder to new folder

load edit menu
import your old menu cfgs (that you saved when you first fixed your menu).
scan full plugin folder.
all is now as it was, except new LW is installed.

Philbert
04-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Anyhow...I'd really rather not have to install 9.2 as a separate app and go through the tedious process of installing all the plugins (so many!) that I use, and reconfigure the keyboard shortcuts and menus.

The keyboard shortcuts and menus aren't too bad if you just save them out, then in the new version load the 2 files you saved.

StereoMike
04-27-2007, 06:57 AM
I have a global presets and 3rd party plugins folder nowadays. With at least 4 lw-versions on one computer I felt the urge to streamline the stuff.
In layout you can set the path to the customized presets folder and the 3rd party plugins just got in via "scan folder".
I also put my fav plugins into the user tab of modeler and saved it as branch. that way I have my sweet gems at hand, even if NT decides to mix all the tabs.

mike

aquinde
04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I have a global presets and 3rd party plugins folder nowadays. With at least 4 lw-versions on one computer I felt the urge to streamline the stuff.
In layout you can set the path to the customized presets folder and the 3rd party plugins just got in via "scan folder".
I also put my fav plugins into the user tab of modeler and saved it as branch. that way I have my sweet gems at hand, even if NT decides to mix all the tabs.

mike
Ah, Export the tab as a Branch! I had no idea you could do that. In that light, this may not be so bad. I have always kept 3rd party plugins and scripts in 'my plugins' and 'my scripts' folders and made menu tabs for them but had no idea I could export a branch. Thanks for that.

I do wish there were a plugin management utility where I could do something like 'archive unused plugins' or something akin to Content Manager. "Scen Folder" isn't good for me because I've got 3rd party plugins dating back to LW 5.x and it's a bit of as mess. I can always edit the 9.2 LWEXT9.cfg but that doesn't help with 'housekeeping' in my plugins folders.

Anyway I have my keys and menus .cfgs saved along with the other .cfgs so I can always go back and edit the new ones. Still, I wish the process weren't such a pain in the neck. It wouldn't hurt for NewTek to offer some sort of Installation Tips document. Well, I'm going to go dive in.

aquinde
04-27-2007, 10:31 AM
OK, I found some useful installation info in the beta forum about how to set up custom configs so 9.2 won't hose your 9.0 on this thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67470 It would be nice if we didn't have to dig around to find this sort of thing.

Of course you must be sure to copy your .cfg files to a safe place before running the 9.2 installer. I always copy everything to a safe place before running LW installs because you never know.

It also looks like you need to wait a minute before switching between 9.0 and 9.2 so the Hub will close (and save its .cfg) so it doesn't get 'confused'. Or close it manually.

Back to configuring 9.2........

Philbert
04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Uh, to my knowledge... A. not everyone can use that link, only beta people. And B. If they can somehow there's probably info in there you shouldn't share.

aquinde
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Ugh! Beware of that horrible "Auto Detect" checkbox in the Options/Paths panel in Layout. It really should be labeled "Auto Detect and load Plugins" which is what it does every time you start up. I forget they'd added this "feature" and I've been tearing my hair out for the the last few hours wondering why I keep getting multiple versions of plugins loaded every time I start up. Ah yes, more time wasted.

aquinde
04-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Uh, to my knowledge... A. not everyone can use that link, only beta people. And B. If they can somehow there's probably info in there you shouldn't share.

Phil,

I found it through a plain old search of the forums. I wasn't part of the beta program. If I shouldn't have had access the forum software should have filtered that thread out. Plus, if there were some proper installation documentation presented to us on the NewTek site or as part of the installation package I wouldn't have had to search in the first place.

PixelFarmer
04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I keep all my 3rd party plugins and scripts (and my configs) in a separate folder:
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\XtraPlugins (which includes various separate subfolders.
The advantage is that when you upgrade LW, you can just replace and scan the default plugins folder and not mess up anything else. No doubt it could be more efficient, but separating third party and NT plugins has made things easier.
M

aquinde
04-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I keep all my 3rd party plugins and scripts (and my configs) in a separate folder:
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\XtraPlugins (which includes various separate subfolders.
The advantage is that when you upgrade LW, you can just replace and scan the default plugins folder and not mess up anything else. No doubt it could be more efficient, but separating third party and NT plugins has made things easier.
M
That makes sense. My 3rd party plugin folders are all subs of the Plugins folder. I didn't take it far enough. I should probably buckle down and take this opportunity to change that. The joy of housekeeping.

JamesCurtis
04-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I use two folders within the Plugins directory called Layout Added and Modeler Added. This way plugs are separated by app. If a plugin or group of plugins uses both Layout and Modeler, then they are placed in the Layout Added one, unless the plugin in question must be installed in specific places.

Philbert
04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Heh I keep all of my 3rd party stuff in an Additional_Plugins folder on an external hard drive along with all of my personal content.

oobievision
04-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Well im not a beta member, but do we have to pay to get the 9.2 update?

Philbert
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
If you have 9.0 than no. Just go to register.newtek.com and sign in, it's in your downloads area. Lightwave point upgrades have always been free.