PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.2 download query...

Twisted_Pixel
04-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Apologies if this has been covered already, but I did a a quick search with nothing relevant seeming to appear.

Where does one download 9.2? For those of us that were not on the open beta.
Does being from Europe mean, we have to get it from http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/index.asp, or is it all centralised now?

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out.

Twisted_Pixel
04-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks to bytehawk I figured it out.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18110

NTComm
04-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Login to your product registration account at http://register.newtek.com.

Click on My Downloads.

Scroll down to the section titled "LightWave v9.2" (not the section titled "LightWave v9.2 Open Beta 28").

Download the version appropriate for your operating system.

Warwind
04-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks for this; I was going in circles looking for the upgrade until I saw this...

cresshead
04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
is build 1165 the final version...?

MooseDog
04-26-2007, 07:13 AM
and will license numbers for the gold release be posted in the my products section as well? i'm still getting the "you have x days left" reminder.

Dodgy
04-26-2007, 07:21 AM
The license number for the golds are your 9 license number.

GreyGhost
04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I've tried entering my v9 License key and all I get is an 'error" message. Must be doing something wrong. Any ideas......anyone?????????

GreyGhost
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks!!!......worked a treat!

Matt
04-26-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm not seeing the 'proper' release yet, only betas for 9.2 in Registration, am I just being too quick?

Matt
04-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Scratch that, found 'em, just read the first part that said

'LightWave v9 32-bit'

(Thought it was STILL version 9)

I missed the part that said 'Version 9.2.0 (Windows 2000/XP)' afterwards!

colkai
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not seeing the 'proper' release yet, only betas for 9.2 in Registration, am I just being too quick?
As opposed to me, who was just too thick, and didn't bother to look further down the downloads page - oops! :help: :)

Matt
04-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah but, it's almost too much text (all the same size) / info! Nothing stands out!

:D

cresshead
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
so is build 1165 THE ONE???

geez so much confusion for such a basic question!

Ztreem
04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Download it and take a look. :) I'm still running an old beta, so I can't really tell you.

Bliz
04-26-2007, 08:22 AM

Yes 1165 is official final build.

Twisted_Pixel
04-26-2007, 08:23 AM

Yes, it's the one i have downloaded and am using.
Build 1165 (Win32) 24-Apr-2007

MooseDog
04-26-2007, 09:03 AM
The license number for the golds are your 9 license number.

presto! thank you:thumbsup:

Hipcheck
04-26-2007, 09:57 AM
ok... so why is the unzipped .exe labeled "LightWave_v92_Beta_win32"... beta?? i thought this was released?? i have a feeling i'm just being thick...

zatara
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I am downloading the file which contais the date of 25 apr 2007.
The build 1165 is date of 24 apr 2007.

Which one is the correct?

Bliz
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
as Hipcheck says the zip file contains the 1165 build from the 24th so if you downloaded build 1165 yesterday there isn't any point downloading the zip from the 25h.

Hipcheck
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
ok so i guess that answers my question... it IS the beta file. So my question now becomes... when is the official upgrade file going to be available? I'd rather just download the file that will install and upgrade to 9.2 with the least amount of pain possible...

EXOSOUL
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
it is out, in registration, just below the beta download

ELinder
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
No, the point is that the install file in the release section (NOT the Beta download section) is also labeled "Lightwave_v92_Beta_Win32.exe". It is the final build 1165, but should not be labled beta. That is obviously confusing, or people wouldn't be asking about an "official" release.

The posted What's New manual is apparently also not the latest version that has been created.

Uploading wrong files and mislabeling files happened in the beta testing too. A simple thing that when done wrong leaves a bad impression, and really has no excuse.

Erich

wozzyke
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
serial isnt working :s

got the x64 cersion on vista and cant exit the discovery mode, not with beta key and not with x64 LW9final key.
Anyone any ideas?

Hipcheck
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes! Thank you for stating what I was having a hard time saying. Yes, this "official release" is still marked BETA! Why? IS this the final release and if so, can i just install this like any other upgrade to LW?

Ztreem
04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes, it's just to install like any other LW update. They just forgot to change the name BETA. It's not a beta anymore.

Ztreem
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
serial isnt working :s

got the x64 cersion on vista and cant exit the discovery mode, not with beta key and not with x64 LW9final key.
Anyone any ideas?

Do you have the newest sentinel drivers? From this site http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

wozzyke
04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
ok, I solved the problem, stupid logitec doesnt have descent drivers for my G15 keyboard which causes my USB ports not being detected. That way my dongle wasnt detected by lightwave eighter. I switched it to an other usb port and now it works.
Damm these manufacturers should really start making descent vista drivers :cursin:

Warwind
04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
So does the downloaded file upgrade the current installation of 9.0 to 9.2, or will the file do a complete installation of 9.2? I don't want both versions on my computer, just 9.2.

So do I remove 9.0 first and then run the "upgrade" file I downloaded?

cresshead
04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
run the install of 9.2 then go to your 9.0 folder and copy the liecence file...jump over to your 9.2 folder and drop it in the program folder...boot 9.2 and it's fully liecenced now.

once you have moved/installed all your extra plugins from 9.0 into 9.2 and they all appear to be working fine...then..IF you want to delete 9.0

steve0077
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I just loaded 9.2 and copied the license from the 9.0 program folder to the 9.2 folder and it still loaded in the discovery mode with my dongle pluged-in should I have installed the sentinel driver when asked while loading 9.2 because I said no thinking I had the latest driver.

Steve

Ztreem
04-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Download the latest sentinel driver from here: http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

Warwind
04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I guess it would be a good idea to copy over all the .ini files as well as the license key file...that would bring over all my settings, right?

But I always worry that I'll screw something up if I do that--like what if 9.2 has new or different settings that, if overwritten by the old files, won't work right?

They really need to have an "upgrader" that will patch the current installation to the new level, and maintain all customized settings...for those who want upgrading to be worry-free...

OOZZEE
04-27-2007, 08:04 AM
I am also getting the license 14 days to go... the registry utility is not installed with 9.2 so just wondering what the name of the file to copy is to make this work ?

thanks

zatara
04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I am also getting license 11 days to go.

bobakabob
04-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Oh dear...

Anyone got good advice for installing 9.2 correctly? There don't appear to be any installation instructions available. Newtek, we need a user friendly flow chart for Dummies!

For LW owners of 9.0 should the dongle be removed before installation? I'm dreading installing to boot up to the Discovery edition:eek:

Hipcheck
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I havent installed yet, but this is what I'm gonna follow...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67522

nolan
04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Copied "license.key" to desktop
uninstalled 9.0 from control panel, add/remove programs
deleted ALL .cfg files
ran 9.2 installer and specified directory
let sentinel driver update

never removed the dongle and programs run with any problems.

LW64
K8WE, dual Opterans
8GigRAM, dual 7600's

bobakabob
04-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Copied "license.key" to desktop
uninstalled 9.0 from control panel, add/remove programs
deleted ALL .cfg files
ran 9.2 installer and specified directory
let sentinel driver update

never removed the dongle and programs run with any problems.

LW64
K8WE, dual Opterans
8GigRAM, dual 7600's

Thanks, nolan. Guess you then placed license key into the 9.2 folder. Is it necessary to delete LW 9.0?

cresshead
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
ik booster is broken in 9.2 so don't delete 9.0

nolan
04-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks, nolan. Guess you then placed license key into the 9.2 folder. Is it necessary to delete LW 9.0?

Not at all. I ran copies of 8.5 and 9.0 during the entire 0.2 open beta series without any problems. I just decided to commit to 9.2 in order to avoid losing track of what plug-ins were with what version. To many places to look and as I get older fewer options are better. The only reason to have my 32 bit version is not all of my plugs are available in 64 bit flavor.

There is an entire discussion about setting up multiple versions over here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67678

steve0077
04-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure how the sentinel dongle key works.
If I upgrade the driver do I do it with the dongle inserted or not?
If I upgrade will i mess with other programs licensed tied to the dongle?
Or is it just a driver update that keeps every just like it was?

Thanks, Steve

Ztreem
04-28-2007, 03:27 AM
it's just a driver update, it doesn't effect any license keys or so. You can have the dongle inserted all the time.

bobakabob
04-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys. If anyone is having issues upgrading 9 > 9.2, here's my - eventually successful - experience. Aim was to have LW 9 and 9.2 both installed.

Copied LW 9 License file to desktop
Kept the dongle in the PC
Ran the 9.2 installer
Installed the sentinel driver when prompted (it should be made clearer the driver is being updated as anyone with LW 9 would think they had no need to "install".)
Created a new Configs folder in LW 9.2 Programs
Created Modeler & Layout shortcuts and opened Properties
Redirected configs to the 9.2 Programs folder from Badllarma's and KSTAR's discussion

For Layout target

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.2\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.2\Programs\Configs"

For Modeler target

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.2\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.2\Programs\Configs"

copied and pasted the license file from desktop to 9.2 Programs folder
Fired up Lightwave

Initially I had the same problem as zatara - 9.2 was still running in temporary mode with 14 days to go ("Contact Newtek").

Deleted the apparently useless License file.
Fired up Lightwave to be told I was in dreaded Discovery Mode
Closed Lightwave, had another go copying and pasting License file into LW 9.2 Programs folder.
Fired up Lightwave again. This time it worked. Why it didn't work the first time, I've no idea.

Sheesh :D

It must all seem blindingly obvious to the Beta testers... but I wish Lightwave's installation process was easier than this.

Most of this info is on the forums. A simple Newtek flow chart for visual learners would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Garyrw
04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Mine did that too...I thought I d/l'ed the wrong version! :eek:

However when I went back I realized I hadn't...so... confusion. Then I reloaded it as the 9.2 (which it prompted me to uninstall) then installed again. Once more in discovery mode. Then I went into the 9.0 license key file (that I *did* have to contact Newtek about...) and copied the original 9.0 license key into the 9.2 license key file in the 9.2 folder (didn't remove the old Beta key, kept them both...just in case). Reopened Layout...no more temporary message and no dreaded 'Discovery Mode'.

I didn't update the Sentinel drivers when I did the install but it seems to know whether the dongle is installed or not just fine :)

~3DG.

Hipcheck
04-28-2007, 08:47 AM
for those of us with LWCAD, I did the same as above but after starting modeler, I made some menu adjustments and setup my display options, closed modeler, then ran the LWCAD install making sure I pointed everything to the appropriate directory. Fired up modeler and everything was cool!

Warwind
05-01-2007, 06:55 AM
I did my "upgrade" as described above, and removed 9.0 when I was done, and I have no licensing issues when running 9.2.

But I am having an issue that's driving me crazy. When I click on a ".lws" file in Windows Explorer, it tells me Windows can't open the file without knowing what program created it. So I click "Browse" and point it to the file "C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 3D 9.2\lightwave.exe" but Lightwave never appears in the list of programs to use.

I've tried removing the association of the lws extension in Tools/Folder Options/File Types, but the same thing as above happens when I click on a lws file. I can however, set lws files to be opened by other programs, and they appear in the list just fine. But neither Modeler nor Lightwave will appear in my list.

Other than switching to a Mac, can anyone see what I am doing wrong? This is Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Dell laptop. I didn't have this problem with 9.0 at all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

nolan
05-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Two questions:
1-When you go to the file association folder, under "advanced" button, is the default action set to "open"?
2-Do you have the same problem with .lwo files?

This really sounds like a windows problem and not Lightwave.

Nolan

Warwind
05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, I think it is a Windows problem, but it worked fine before I upgraded.

I can associate LWS and LWO extensions to just about any program on my system except lightwav.exe and modeler.exe respectively. It even lets me associate to hub.exe, but of course I can't open the files with that.

I'm going to upgrade my desktop computer, and see if the same thing happens. I wonder if uninstalling 9.0 (after first saving plugins and license files) before installing 9.2 might be better . . . I'm also going to wipe the laptop clean of all versions of Lightwave, and try a clean install again.

Thanks anyhow!

nolan
05-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, I think it is a Windows problem, but it worked fine before I upgraded.

I can associate LWS and LWO extensions to just about any program on my system except lightwav.exe and modeler.exe respectively. It even lets me associate to hub.exe, but of course I can't open the files with that.

I'm going to upgrade my desktop computer, and see if the same thing happens. I wonder if uninstalling 9.0 (after first saving plugins and license files) before installing 9.2 might be better . . . I'm also going to wipe the laptop clean of all versions of Lightwave, and try a clean install again.

Thanks anyhow!

I know that this is very basic but did you delete all previous cfg files? If so just do a search in "c:" for *.cfg, I found a set of them in both my folder and the Administrator folder. Other than keeping the config files seperate, there shouldn't be any problem with multiple versions of Lightwave on the same machine.

Nolan