PDA

View Full Version : Any workarounds for long scrolls?

Jim Wainscott
06-23-2003, 10:45 AM
After importing an equivalent of 4 typewritten pages of credits (for a 2-hour play) into the VT2 CG I got undesirable results -

Scrolling: looked liked the letters were going over little waves.
Cannot center text using the center text button.
Cannot get text to line up correctlywhen attempting to reposition text.

I've thought of using the keyframable Positioner in Ted importing from Aura or Photoshop but I have the following delemna:

Photoshop - I don't know what resolution or screen size to setup before entering text. Aura won't load/import a text/ascii file from say microsoft Word.

Toaster CG does weird things to TED. Now my hard drives go wild when Ted is not playing my long format project. They settle down when the project is playing. This occurred after I ran the CG for the first time after (re)installing VT2. TED was working reasonably well before running the CG.

When I edit things in CG, messages will pop up indicating I'm running out of memory. Since I have a gig of memory and CG is the only application running after bootup, and my memory is working ok according to the BIOS, and no viruses. I know that the CG is lying to me.

I did find a time setting that did smooth out the scrolling, however when I do a time stretch/shrink in TED the scroll is jumpy. Using the deinterlace effect/filter from the content/effects directory didn't help.

I should not have to pay Newtek to get the CG corrected as this release of CG violates the Uniform Commercial Code Act with respect to misleading advertising. All the components on my system are what Newtek recommended and was built by a Newtek certified dealer.

Any wisdom out there for workarounds?
Thanks!

slacker
06-23-2003, 10:59 AM
What we've done occasionally is using Photoshop. Just make sure the image width is 720 pixels and your resolution is 72pixels/inch. Make the height as long as you need to fit your full scroll.

For the text, open notepad/wordpad/word, select all (ctrl + a), then hop into photoshop 5+ and you should be able to paste it all in and retain the text as editable.

Save out either as a psd or png file with transparency.

Then, like you said, just use the positioner in TED and you are good to go. I know this is just a workaround, but it does work.

Jim Wainscott
06-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Joel

Thanks for the tip! Would it be safe to assume that Ted will not chop off the bottom say 9/10ths of the imported PSD image?

Any chance you know Greg and Lynn Gulley and live near/in Raleigh?

In Christ!
Jim

slacker
06-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Jim,

You are correct. TED doesn't actually chop incoming graphics that are larger than 720x486. You may not be able to see it all at one time, but it is there. Using the positioner will reveal it all.

It would probably be best if you saved out as a png with transparency. I've found that TED likes them better than psd files. We've had some weirdness with transparency issues and refresh in psd files that I never bothered to fully investigate.

I can't say that I know anyone named Gulley off the top of my head. Our church is in Jacksonville, Florida, but I've only been working here for about a year now.