PDA

View Full Version : Mac 9.2 Upgrade or Install?

ItsPete
04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok probably a silly q but...

Running the Mac CFM installer the button says Upgrade not Install. Is it going to overwrite a previous version? I'm guessing not based on past installs.

The prob is I need to export FBX files and haven't tried the exporter past 8.5. So I don't want to overwrite my 8.5 just yet. I've got a project in production and just can't gamble on it right now. Really would like to use 9.2 though!

TIA!

brian.coates
04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Do you have 9.0 already installed?

The installer is probably detecting that app, which is why it's showing 'Upgrade' rather than 'Install'. If you have 8.5 on your HD then the 9.2 installer shouldn't touch it since it's technically a different program. The fact that they create their own preference files is the give-away.

If you want to be really paranoid though you can install 9.2 onto another HD partition or external HD, then copy the 9.2 folder into the 'Applications' folder of your startup volume.

You'll probably also need to copy the new dongle driver, (Eve3.framework) to the 'Library/Frameworks' folder and the installer receipt file to 'Library/Receipts' as well.

ItsPete
04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Brian. I actually have an older 9.2 installed. I'd think things will be alright but I'd still like to install as a new instance though. Especially if it's going to overwrite my 8.5 which is my officially registered version - skipped 9.0. And even if the exporter works with my current 9.2 install (nope haven't tried), there's no gaurentee the new 9.2 is the same... and yes, I am really paranoid! :)

ItsPete
04-27-2007, 08:19 AM
*bump*

anyone? just need a confirm that it won't overwrite my 8.5...