PDA

View Full Version : Mapped image sequence flipped during render

Tom Wood
04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I have an object with a surface made up of a single flat polygon onto which I have planar mapped an image sequence. In all my image processing/viewing applications the images are shown correctly. But when I render the scene in Layout, each image is flipped left to right. LightWave 8.5

Any thoughts on where to look to stop this behavior?

Thanks,

TW

Surrealist.
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't know why it is flipped but if you put a "-" before the X scale value that will flip it back.

Tom Wood
04-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks,

That flipped it, but it also reversed the rotation, which I don't want. Weird, it even shows up correctly in the Surface Editor, just won't render correctly.

Surrealist.
04-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks,

That flipped it, but it also reversed the rotation, which I don't want. Weird, it even shows up correctly in the Surface Editor, just won't render correctly.

I can't get a clear picture on the math off hand but you should be able to adjust the rotation too.

MonroePoteet
04-26-2007, 08:57 AM
My guess is that you're using a double-sided polygon. Remember that all models in LW face into the Z direction, so in Modeler you see the back of the model by default. When you map a texture, you see the back of the texture, so all dimensionality is inverted.

I'd try changing the surface to single sided (which means your poly will probably disappear), and then rotate it 180 degrees in heading to face the camera. Only after it's situated correctly go about setting up the mapped textured.

You could also try using Cubic mapping rather than Planar.

mTp

Tom Wood
04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks,

I've tried the various mapping settings, plus all the tiling settings. No help. I also suspect it has something to do with the polygon. It's on one side of a rectangular shape made with the primitive Box tool, so it's a one-sided polygon facing outward. I selected the polygon and gave it a surface name, so that surface name is what shows up in Surface Editor. I'll try messing around with it.

EDIT: I made all my models facing downscene on the Z axis, so I do have to turn them around in Modeler. In Layout I left them facing the same way and moved the camera around.

Surrealist.
04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
It won't matter what direction it is in modeler if it is a one sided poly. mTp was pointing out that it would matter if it was a double sidded poly.

Tom Wood
04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, nothing works. I've decided to treat it like the moving hump in Young Frankenstein (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/). :D

toby
04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
? I've never had this problem. Maybe because I don't turn the poly around in modeler, but in Layout. Rotating geometry in modeler won't affect texture placement btw

Surrealist.
04-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you tried just creating a new object? There has got to be something going on there. Can you post the object/scene?

MonroePoteet
04-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes, my original post wasn't clear. I leave the objects facing down the Z axis in Modeler, and then rotate objects toward the camera in Layout, not in Modeler. Or, move the camera and default light around to the front side, also in Layout.

mTp

Tom Wood
04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm afraid the solution to this will have to wait, as I'm under deadline and just have to press on. I brought the sequence into Mirage and reversed it, so LightWave reversed it back to where it should be.

Thank you all for your efforts to help.

TW

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Tom,
Though you found a solution, are you able to post the object so that a more elegant solution can be offered? ;)

Tom Wood
04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Robert -

What exactly would I post? A picture doesn't seem to offer much. How would I post the object file, the scene file, the image sequence files?

TW

Tom Wood
04-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Here's the starting image sequence - the drooping eyelid is on our right, he rotates to our left:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/tomwood2/Online%20Computer/wyldebadge.jpg

Here's the end result AFTER flipping everything in Mirage:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/tomwood2/Online%20Computer/wyldebadge2.jpg

But notice in Surface editor that the drooping eyelid is on our LEFT and he rotates to our right. Hard to see, but the single polygon on the front of his badge is selected for this surface.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/tomwood2/Online%20Computer/wyldebadge3.jpg

Surrealist.
04-27-2007, 11:05 AM
7 zip is a free app that allows you to make zip files for upload. You can apply this to object and scene files then upload them.

It's easy. Once you install the software just right click on a file and choose "add to archive". Then make sure and choose .zip as the format. It will create a zip folder. You can do this for both the objects and the scene then upload it here.

http://www.7-zip.org/

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
And to add...
A simple left to right sequence would suffice here, and we could provide that on our end. And actually, I'm interested in the preshelf or the surface; those files could be applied to anything to see what you were experiencing.

I guess I'm just thinking of ways you wouldn't have to give away valuable resources to illustrate the issue. That is to say, a box with a simple wipe of color on circles for eyes but rigged as in your scene would suffice for our benefit of seeing what's going on in your scene.

But yeah, zip it up and upload through the use of attachments in this forum.